Books you have read multiple times

Jon Katz lives right down the road from me. I talk with him from time to time. That book was based on his first house (really a camp) off Colfax Mtn. I believe. He has since bought a small farm, raised sheep, etc., then sold that farm and bought a smaller farm with some sheep, dogs, etc. He has a blog online and is generally perceived as a good fellow around this area.

Thats cool...seems like he would be a great guy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever reread an entire book. I've re read certain portions. I've read through portions of Keith Richards' autobiography a few times as that was my bathroom reading. When I was a kid, the acid trip portion of "That Was Then, This is Now" fascinated me for some reason, and read that over and over.

Kurt Vonnegut Cat’s Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions

Raymond Carver Where I’m Calling From

Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment

Denis Johnson Jesus’ Son

David Foster Wallace A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again

Italo Calvino A Baron in the Trees

George Saunders CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, Pastoralia, In Persuasion Nation

Very haunting book ...have not read in 30 years.

The film adaptation is very good as well.

Dubliners by James Joyce. It's a collection of short stories, much more readable than Ulysses.

The Brothers Karamazov, the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation, by Dostoyevsky.

Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov.

Naive. Super by Erlend Loe.

The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry.

I have re-read quite a few books, but the one that stands out (pun not intended) is Stephen King's The Stand. I really enjoyed it the first time I read it and then he re-released it many years later with several hundred new pages added back in. The second release was the way he had actually intended the book to be the first time, but because he was a relative unknown when it was released they edited it down to around 850 pages. He re-released it much later after he became so successful, with the original content, which was closer to 1,200 pages. I enjoyed it even more the second time.

Just about anything by Heinlein, really. About every two or three years I go on this Heinlein jag and binge-read damn near all his books, in publication order.

Also: Dune. I've read that book maybe 18 times, and every time I read it again I find something new.

Dune is the best sci fi ever written and stands the test of holding its own outside of sci fi.

Because we've deviated into a sci fi discussion, I'll throw out a fantastic series that I found long after I thought I was out of the sci fi genre: Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It's a 4 books series with the first two and second two books acting as their own stories. I don't reread many books but I might reread it.

On the topic of rereading books, I generally stick to the classics:

David Copperfield

East of Eden

Pride and Prejudice

Manchester's bio of Churchill The Last Lion is one of the great works of the English language

Just a few.

Edited by Observer

Just about anything by Heinlein, really. About every two or three years I go on this Heinlein jag and binge-read damn near all his books, in publication order.

Also: Dune. I've read that book maybe 18 times, and every time I read it again I find something new.

What? No Starship Troopers?

I've ready a bunch of books twice, but there's only two I continue to read occasionally, and they're both childhood favorites that I read out of nostalgia; Where the Red Fern Grows and Enders Game.

I've read Enders Game a few times too. Its a really cool story.

I want to read the Hobbit again and the LOTR series.

Ive seen Dune in here a few times. I can't remember if I read that in high school or not. Killer Angels I've read as well. That was a fantastic story