Dungy: NFL needs to restrict New England’s substitution game

Reed83HOF

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this rule has probably been posted already...

From the NFL Rulebook (Rule 5 Section 3):

Section 3 Changes in Position
REPORTING CHANGE OF POSITION
Article 1 An offensive player wearing the number of an ineligible pass receiver (50–79 and 90–99) is permitted to line up in
the position of an eligible pass receiver (1–49 and 80–89), and an offensive player wearing the number of an eligible pass
receiver is permitted to line up in the position of an ineligible pass receiver, provided that he immediately reports the
change in his eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team.
He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to each play he
must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game clock shall not be stopped, and
the ball shall not be put in play until the Referee takes his normal position.
In the bolded part of the rule, do we know if the Patriots players who reported as ineligible stayed ineligible until they were off of the field for one legal play? For example: A Patriots RB reports as ineligible for play 1 from scrimmage. That RB MUST be ineligible until he comes off of the field and every play MUST inform the referee every play that he is ineligible. This would be an easy thing for an official to overlook.

Article 1 An offensive player wearing the number of an ineligible pass receiver (5079 and 9099) is permitted to line up in

the position of an eligible pass receiver (149 and 8089), and an offensive player wearing the number of an eligible pass

receiver is permitted to line up in the position of an ineligible pass receiver, provided that he immediately reports the

change in his eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team.

He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to each play he

must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game clock shall not be stopped, and

In the bolded part of the rule, do we know if the Patriots players who reported as ineligible stayed ineligible until they were off of the field for one legal play? For example: A Patriots RB reports as ineligible for play 1 from scrimmage. That RB MUST be ineligible until he comes off of the field and every play MUST inform the referee every play that he is ineligible. This would be an easy thing for an official to overlook.

someone else mentioned that, and its a possibility. at this point, with the lack of media chatter on it, someone would have to grab the all-22 and see what happened.

Article 1 An offensive player wearing the number of an ineligible pass receiver (50–79 and 90–99) is permitted to line up in
the position of an eligible pass receiver (1–49 and 80–89), and an offensive player wearing the number of an eligible pass

At least one play they didn't.

I mentioned that in one of the many Cheatriot threads,

No, or is it yes?

An ineligible eligible receiver played the next down as an eligible receiver in which the Refs did not throw a flag.

I mentioned that in one of the many Cheatriot threads,

No, or is it yes?

An ineligible eligible receiver played the next down as an eligible receiver in which the Refs did not throw a flag.

I just feel that the Ref's didn't specifically know this rule: hence no flag.

What I don't understand is how these rules were not emphasized with the officials after the Ravens game. I would like to think that crews say things like "Hey watch number X or Team X, they have been pushing the limits of X rule." Or worse, the media coverage of the incident should have made officials aware of the rules.

IF this happens in the Superbowl I will be upset at the Refs/NFL for not enforcing a known problem with a team.

The fall will be far when the Pats win the superbowl and none of this ultimately matters.

The Hawks were going to win before this "scandal" regardless. If anything, the Hawks are going to win by double digits now. They're one win away from back-to-back titles and all anyone is talking about are the *pats. That's going to stick in the Hawks' craw and give them enough motivation to stomp the posers from Rhode Island. There isn't a team in the NFL that's as close as the Seahawks, they straight up love each other.

That's going to carry them. Especially after the almost loss to the Pack.

NFL says Solder touchdown play was illegal

"There was an issue on that play where on the previous play, [Cameron] Fleming had reported as an eligible player," Blandino said. "And on the Solder touchdown he went back to playing an ineligible position. That’s illegal. That’s an illegal substitution. So that’s something we discussed with the crew. Bill [belichick] was made aware of it. So we’re going to be looking for that, make sure we follow the proper mechanics so that doesn’t happen again."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/nfl-says-solder-touchdown-play-was-illegal?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Confusion continues about refs signaling Patriots’ ineligible receivers

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said there’s nothing new for Belichick to check out: Carroll misunderstood, and there is no new signal. It’s unclear where Carroll got that idea, as he said on Thursday morning that he was informed by the league that the officials were changing the way they officiate when the Patriots run trick plays.

“The new signal is the referee will point to the player that has the eligible number and he’ll signal that he is not eligible. That’s the new thing. They’ve never done that before,” Carroll said.

So where did Carroll get that idea? It’s unclear, but Super Bowl referee Bill Vinovich seemed to have the same idea. Vinovich and Blandino had an awkward moment in front of the press when Blandino told Vinovich that he shouldn’t tell the defense which ineligible receivers not to cover, something that came as news to Vinovich.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/confusion-continues-about-refs-signaling-patriots-ineligible-receivers/

this looks to be the same story topic

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/confusion-continues-about-refs-signaling-patriots-ineligible-receivers/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said on Thursday morning that the NFL has instructed its officials to use a new signal in the Super Bowl to inform defensive players which offensive players are eligible receivers and which offensive players are ineligible

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The refs just need to slow the Patriots down and make sure they themselves know who is eligible and ineligible from one play to the next. Letting the Patriots do whatever they want on an "honor system" and as fast as they want to do it can be against the letter and the spirit of the rules, respectively.

I posted a link of the signal they will use... arms crossed at knees.

Carroll said referees will point to an eligible player and will make an arm-crossing motion at the knees for a player reporting as ineligible -- several reporters present have said the motion Carroll portrayed looked like The Charleston.

[sarc] must play Cherry Poppin Daddys music

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465143/article/blandino-refs-signaled-ineligible-players-in-afc-title

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The refs just need to slow the Patriots down and make sure they themselves know who is eligible and ineligible from one play to the next. Letting the Patriots do whatever they want on an "honor system" and as fast as they want to do it can be against the letter and the spirit of the rules, respectively.

one might argue that the refs and other teams should better prepare, and not just slow them down. it doesnt need to be an honor system. it could just be everyone doing their jobs properly.

NFL says Solder touchdown play was illegal[/size]

"There was an issue on that play where on the previous play, [Cameron] Fleming had reported as an eligible player," Blandino said. "And on the Solder touchdown he went back to playing an ineligible position. That’s illegal. That’s an illegal substitution. So that’s something we discussed with the crew. Bill [belichick] was made aware of it. So we’re going to be looking for that, make sure we follow the proper mechanics so that doesn’t happen again."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/nfl-says-solder-touchdown-play-was-illegal?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

This is what Dungy was trying to say and why the Patriots do it and why it's against both the spirit and sometimes the letter of the rules.

Belichick, Carroll both downplay eligible receiver issue

“That’s not my job, so whatever the officials do, that’s their protocol and their mechanics, so whatever that is, you should direct that concern to the league,” Belichick said.

“I don’t have any problem with the way it’s been handled,” Carroll said. “Bill has done a good job of challenging us with really unique and innovative ideas in how to move people around. . . . I don’t think there’s going to be any issue.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/belichick-carroll-both-downplay-eligible-receiver-issue/

Edited by papazoid

This is what Dungy was trying to say and why the Patriots do it and why it's against both the spirit and sometimes the letter of the rules.

Hell, that's what I said a few pages back, after ten minutes of reviewing the all-22 to make sure. And I was told I didn't watch the game.

No doubt, now that Belichick has "been made aware" of it (as though he didn't know), he'll scour the rules to find another obscure loophole that allows him to cheat the substitution rules even more.