Dungy: NFL needs to restrict New England’s substitution game

Reed83HOF

Lol so " careful" and accurate you forgot colts went thru the team that "owned them" on the way to the super bowl. Nice little refresher for you

2006 AFC Championship Battle of the Titans:

You said that twice already. That was Dungy's single playoff win v. NE. Brady is 9-3 against Indy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the point. The point is that 1) the Pats are using the eligibility/ineligibility ploy to get around the substitution rules, and 2) in doing so, while they are following the rules to the letter, they certainly aren't following them in spirit.

So now following the rules isn't enough? They must display the proper "spirit?"

I'd like for my coach to be able to out-smart the rest of the league. If he cheated in doing so, I'd expect the axe to come down hard. The Patriots cheat. They have been convicted and accepted the penalty. Then they cheated again. Sometimes they out-smart, but they also cheat. Do you deny that? Pretty sure I'm done with this. There is no question they have cheated once again. Period. Bottom line.

I actually expect the Pats to win, but what do I know? Despite being critical of the cheating stuff (known and unknown), they have a great thing going there.

I'm pretty sure I just answered that question. deflating balls is cheating. If you want to ask questions, you need to read the answers.

Having said that, I can say they cheated with the ball deflation, and I can also say they didn't cheat with the substitutions as they did them--and I can do all this while remaining a Bills fan. It's not as hard as you are trying to make it...

Dissenting opinions don't change a fans allegiance to a team. You should know that. Or throw yourself in with 4merperformer and Matt and others if you prefer. Doesn't matter much to me. This is entertainment...

You said that twice already. That was Dungy's single playoff win v. NE. Brady is 9-3 against Indy

Lol another nice one for you in a season colts went to super bowl. Didn't get to play pats post season that year because pats lost to jets in foxboro ....lol

Colts vs patriots 2009 last 4 minutes:

So now following the rules isn't enough? They must display the proper "spirit?"

I'm fine with staying within the rules. Less OK with repeat cheaters. Some of their stuff is briliiant and awesome in my mind. When they cross the line they need to be crushed since they have a track record of cheating.

Lol another nice one for you in a season colts went to super bowl. Didn't get to play pats post season that year because pats lost to jets in foxboro ....lol

Colts vs patriots 2009 last 4 minutes:

You misused that clip in your last post.

Are you going to show a clip from each game the Dungy's colts beat NE? If so, your about out of clips...

I'm fine with staying within the rules. Less OK with repeat cheaters. Some of their stuff is briliiant and awesome in my mind. When they cross the line they need to be crushed since they have a track record of cheating.

Unless they unearth video of someone deflating the ball, or unless they get a confession or a a whistleblower, they will likely only fine NE and maybe take a draft pick. The offense (deflating the balls) had a dubious effect oj the outcome (none at all, really), so I don't know if there is precedent for compounding the penalty for past transgressions (for which they were already punished for.

Edited by Mr. WEO

You misused that clip in your last post.

Are you going to show a clip from each game the Dungy's colts beat NE? If so, your about out of clips...

Lol Dungy wasn't the coach that year, tossed it in after you referenced bradys record vs colts in general, Mr. "Careful and Accurate" lol

I'm pretty sure I just answered that question. deflating balls is cheating. If you want to ask questions, you need to read the answers.

Having said that, I can say they cheated with the ball deflation, and I can also say they didn't cheat with the substitutions as they did them--and I can do all this while remaining a Bills fan. It's not as hard as you are trying to make it...

Dissenting opinions don't change a fans allegiance to a team. You should know that. Or throw yourself in with 4merperformer and Matt and others if you prefer. Doesn't matter much to me. This is entertainment...

Well, it's nice for you to repeat that they cheated again... and of course again. You acknowledge it. Because that's the bottom line here. I don't know you and never seriously questioned your fanhood. You're here for some reason. I do question why you stick up for cheaters, but that's up to you. If they were just smarter, that's fine. If they cheated, that's NOT. And they cheated. Again. Period.

Well, it's nice for you to repeat that they cheated again... and of course again. You acknowledge it. Because that's the bottom line here. I don't know you and never seriously questioned your fanhood. You're here for some reason. I do question why you stick up for cheaters, but that's up to you. If they were just smarter, that's fine. If they cheated, that's NOT. And they cheated. Again. Period.

Seriously, you did. But that's OK. Rolls off the back.

Pointing out when they are cheating and when they are not is not "sticking up for cheaters". I have no other way to make this any simpler. Sorry.

Serious question for WEO--are you now, or have you ever been, a closet Pats* fan? You leap to their defense at every opportunity, even before this latest of many, many transgressions over the years, all on a BUFFALO BILLS message board. Now I know you also follow the Bills, as you comment on them, too, here, unlike some of the other Pats* defenders who seemed to come out of the woodwork from nowhere this week (HOFW comes to mind) and I actually agree with you from time to time on the Bills stuff. Are the Pats* your second/mistress team or something?

That' last part's exactly what my wife said upon reading an article detailing their eligibility shenanigans.

And yet you people still feed the pigeons. Ignore him. Problem solved.

The rules are the rules until they aren't. I applaud BB's audacity. He truly does all he can to put his team in a position to win. Probably hard lessons learned after his Browns gig ended in a firing. I hope Rex is as focused on crushing the Patriots as I think he is. He needs to bring it to "a new level...of confidence...and POWER!"

I must say this is the same kind of stuff we heard about the no huddle when the Bills first went to it exclusively, right down to faking injuries and it was against the "spirit" of the rules. To me, if it's legal, it's legal.

Now, Dungy has a great point about when it's not legal. I did not know the have to leave game to flip between being eligible/non eligible, and the refs really need to be on top of that moving forward, not just next week , as I think you are going to see this a lot next year.

Edited by plenzmd1

The problem here is that players switching positions on the field is actually a substitution. And when the offense substitutes, the defense should be able to substitute. It isn't cheating according to the rules, but it is actually a position substitution when you think about it. It needs to be addressed.

On Sirius yesterday afternoon Pat Kiran and Jim Miller actually looked at the all 22 of many of the substitutions and come up with clear evidence of penalties for illegal alignments and substitutions. It is happening right in from of the refs eyes and since they aren't all aware of who is elidgble either they aren't calling it.

Not an expert on the substitution thing, but a typical Pats ploy. The refs have to be prepared and enforce the rules. The Pats will try to sneak around any restriction that might hold them back from having an advantage. Billy is smarter than most coaches, but the rules only allow for so much.

In my opinion, this line of thinking needs to stop now.

Hes been busted for cheating 2 times now, and allegations about bending the rules (like this post) come up every year.

His team uses an undefeated stretch at home every year to get to the playoffs, but for the last decade, as soon as they get away from the sanctity of Gillete, they get their asses handed to them.

What are they, 0 for 7 in their last 7 playoff games away from Gillette? That's almost as alarming as beating 43 straight AFC opponents at home!

Everyone accuses them of cheating.

They frequently get busted for cheating.

They can't win on the road, ever, but win at statistically impossible rates at home.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

But stop fawning over them like they would win without cheating. How can anyone ever know?

The problem here is that players switching positions on the field is actually a substitution. And when the offense substitutes, the defense should be able to substitute. It isn't cheating according to the rules, but it is actually a position substitution when you think about it. It needs to be addressed.

Good point Todd, I had not thought of it that way, but is that how the substitution rule is written, or does it strictly say player and not position?

The league is scrambling to find a way to sanitze the deflate debacle to protect Brady and their beloved Pats. Likely they will have this hang on the ball boy who acted alone. What a credible investigation woukd find is that Brady has been doing this for awhile. The Pats have a culture of cheating. The elegible/ineligible trickery amounts to an illegal substitution. This bonehead commissioner needs to state the case and end the practice before the SB and not wait until after the fame to suspend Brady.