Dungy: NFL needs to restrict New England’s substitution game

Reed83HOF

It's John Harbaugh.... and the problem was and is for any team that they did not know in sufficient time who was an eligible receiver and who was not. It is deceptive when a running back is in the slot or outside and is not eligible but the TE who looks like an extra lineman is. Harbaugh's issue was his defense was not finding out who was eligible in time for them to cover that person. They were covering the outside man who was ineligible. That's a trick and not a trick play. It may have been within the rules in a concrete sense but there is no way it met any "spirit of fair play". The Patriots under Belichek have always operated under the premise that they will stretch the rules until they are told no or get caught. They pretty much bully the NFL. There's sufficient evidence to back it up Also, look at how they use picks or rubs, it's a judgement call so they do it alot and see if anyone calls it. It's the same way with how their DB's used to constantly hold Colts receivers until Polian complained so much.

Except that the ref announced the RB was ineligible. Announced.

If the D isn't paying attention, it's not cheating.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nonsense. The intent is to deceive. And according to Dungy, in this case they're even deceiving the officials - they're making changes so quickly that the refs don't have time to properly announce eligibility, or penalize them when they don't.

I make a motion to disallow the play-action pass. And roll outs, naked bootlegs, the stop and go, the flea flicker, the lateral. All of it. It's deception, and it's wrong.

To listen to the crybabies who get their butts kicked by NE for 15 years explains exactly why they have gotten beat down by Belichick for the length of this unquestioned historical run that may never be repeated. He's always one step ahead, and until teams (BUFFALO) stop crying about all their "trickery" and start scheming better, the past will most assuredly repeat itself. Getting called a Pats fan in 3....2.....1.......

The Ref needs to force the ineligible receiver to go back to the huddle before they break it. What happened was the guy ran to the ref told him and as the ref was announcing Brady was ready to hike the ball.

Yes. Announcing the player is ineligible as he is sprinting to the line and snapping the ball is clearly deceptive. Look at the rule book (I've linked it before). Deceptive substitutions by the offense, to gain a competitive advantage, are not in the spirit of the rules. It is why, for example, sending 40 players out on the field for each huddle is illegal. The defense is to be given a legitimate chance to defend. It's in the rule book.

That the RB reported and it was announced over the PA with split-seconds to seconds to spare isn't really all that compelling frankly. Being on the field is a noisy place. The players can be tunnel-visioned and focusing on their assignments and what the opposition is trying to do. Listening to voices over the PA system may actually be completely tuned out and relegated to the same place as Ozzie Osbourne cackling between plays with his Crazy Train. Unless you are prepared for it, having 7 guys with eligible numbers all lined up in what appears to be eligible positions, really freaking fast, can be (and there is no doubt it was) a competitive advantage. And what seals the deal that the Patriots knew full well what they were doing is that the RB-playing-OT clearly and deliberately pretended to be an eligible receiver by stepping into the backfield and calling for the ball.

I make a motion to disallow the play-action pass. And roll outs, naked bootlegs, the stop and go, the flea flicker, the lateral. All of it. It's deception, and it's wrong.

To listen to the crybabies who get their butts kicked by NE for 15 years explains exactly why they have gotten beat down by Belichick for the length of this unquestioned historical run that may never be repeated. He's always one step ahead, and until teams (BUFFALO) stop crying about all their "trickery" and start scheming better, the past will most assuredly repeat itself. Getting called a Pats fan in 3....2.....1.......

Everything you just mentioned are plays. Trying to deceive the game by failing to report eligible receivers with enough time for the refs to notify the defense isn't a play. If it wasn't important for defenses to know who the eligible receivers were there wouldn't be a rule requiring the offense to report them, now would there?

Dungy was a total Colt here. In other words, a total wimp.

Saw a cheater, stuck his little toe in the water to say how he would give it right back to them, then scurried right back out of the water saying "no, I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

"Please don't hurt me! Uncle! Uncle! Uncle!"

LOL

Evil must be given no quarter, because it gives none. This is why only teams like the Giants and Ravens have been able to get in the way of the Patriots*. You have to be tough, physical, and a bit evil yourself to take them down.

The Colts were and area just a sacrificial lamb to the evil empire. I'm sure they all laughed at hearing how Dungy would play tough guy with them!

Everything you just mentioned are plays. Trying to deceive the game by failing to report eligible receivers with enough time for the refs to notify the defense isn't a play. If it wasn't important for defenses to know who the eligible receivers were there wouldn't be a rule requiring the offense to report them, now would there?

And it isn't illegal either. From what I've read, the Patriots committed zero called or uncalled penalties. If the Bills had done this, I have a feeling this whole board would be singing their praises.

Edited by Thrivefourfive

Except that the ref announced the RB was ineligible. Announced.

If the D isn't paying attention, it's not cheating.

They're making player substitutions using "eligible/ineligible" rules for no other reason than to get around the substitution roles.

That's cheating.

Since this is a big deal, I believe the ref will hold the ball longer before setting it down or if it is already set run in and reset it to give the "D" more time to adjust. See if that happens next week. And don't forget who God dell's buddy is. NE is an embaressment to the name of football. What a shame money has taken over the game. Sure has taken the fun out of it.

They're making player substitutions using "eligible/ineligible" rules for no other reason than to get around the substitution roles.

That's cheating.

It wasn't to get around substitution rules, it was banking that defenders were unprepared due to years of neglecting to learn the right way instead of the easy way Edited by NoSaint

That's cheating.

Everything in this post is wrong. See NoSaints explanation.

Posters' misrepresentation of how that single play transpired will not make it more factual, no matter how many times they repeat their inaccurate recollection of the event.

Everything in this post is wrong. See NoSaints explanation.

Posters' misrepresentation of how that single play transpired will not make it more factual, no matter how many times they repeat their inaccurate recollection of the event.

Inaccurate recollection?

Take a look at Game Rewind, like I did, and get back to me. It's not a single play, by the way - it was the entire second half.

That's cheating.

But wait, I thought just yesterday Belichick said "We try to do everything right. We err on the side of caution. It’s been that way now for many years. Anything that’s close, we stay as far away from the line as we can." :doh: