Fred Pagac supports Marrone's decision

YoloinOhio

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone bailed because he didn't get an extension that he hadn't earned. So he figured he could double dip, which he could not have done if fired as his contract would've had offsets. He obviously miscalculated. His decision is not only going to cost him money over the next two years, it will cost him long term. He is had four years as a head coach - two at Syracuse and two with the Bills. He bailed out of each the minute he thought it would financially benefit him. Can you imagine the heat the GM or owner of a team would take if they hired Marrone and he bailed out after two or three years? He might get one more chance at some point, but that will be it for him if he does not show better for longer.

Marrone bailed because he didn't get an extension that he hadn't earned. So he figured he could double dip, which he could not have done if fired as his contract would've had offsets. He obviously miscalculated. His decision is not only going to cost him money over the next two years, it will cost him long term. He is had four years as a head coach - two at Syracuse and two with the Bills. He bailed out of each the minute he thought it would financially benefit him. Can you imagine the heat the GM or owner of a team would take if they hired Marrone and he bailed out after two or three years? He might get one more chance at some point, but that will be it for him if he does not show better for longer.

The only way I see Marrone as a HC in the league again is if it's an interim position after the incumbent is fired mid-season. In fact, I believe that's likely why he wound up where he did; Bradley is rapidly approaching the "thin ice" category if the Jags don't start to show significant improvement.

Baloney. Fred might not know WHY Doug left, but he certainly knows HOW Doug left. See the difference?

If you're not going to read the thread, why would you try to argue?

AW probably "lost all respect" because per some of the players they found out he chose to leave via social media. The text from the personnel dept (not Marrone himself) came after it hit social media. Two days earlier he stood in front of them in a team meeting and preached "Bills family." He took the money and ran instead of moving forward with what they were building as a team. I have no issue with AW not respecting that, or saying so on Twitter.

Whether AW knew the details doesn't change the perception of the fact he quit and he did it in a very cold way.

Again, do you think that players who exercise their player option call all their teammates beforehand?

Huh?

Your post stated that Fred did not know how your hero left, but Fred knew EXACTLY how your hero left. Maybe you're wrong or maybe you just worded your post poorly.

The only way I see Marrone as a HC in the league again is if it's an interim position after the incumbent is fired mid-season. In fact, I believe that's likely why he wound up where he did; Bradley is rapidly approaching the "thin ice" category if the Jags don't start to show significant improvement.

B-I-N-G-O and and now you know his game-o.

Huh?

Your post stated that Fred did not know how your hero left, but Fred knew EXACTLY how your hero left. Maybe you're wrong or maybe you just worded your post poorly.

B-I-N-G-O and and now you know his game-o.

I did, later in the thread I clarified that I meant "why."

I did, later in the thread I clarified that I meant "why."

Two Sheas then.

I replied to it when I read it. It was after all your 33rd illogical contortion in defense of Marrone in this thread and your trillion and 9th over all. Pardon me for not expecting you'd back track.

Anyway, on a side note, your wife just might not have taken off with the gardener in an effort to protect you. Investigate this further as it makes you seem potentially gullible. Look up Occum's Shaver and apply it to your situation.

Again, do you think that players who exercise their player option call all their teammates beforehand?

you don't see the difference between a player and a head coach - I get it. I do see the difference. Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

If that's really his reason for leaving I don't have much respect for his decision. If it were personal I could better understand, but being that shamelessly opportunistic is not very admirable IMO.

I suggest you read the portion of the article where the former assistant said "He didn’t feel any support behind him, I guess, is the way I understand it." Add that to the $4Million worth of financial security he would lose if he stayed and the lack of an extension giving him any job security beyond 2015. Shameless?

None of us know his financial situation or the financial needs of his family. That is his call. None of us know if he made a mistake financially or not and none of us know what would have happened if he stayed. If he is ultimately wrong on this, then that is a mistake in judgment and he will have to bear the consequences of it. There is a big difference between making an error in predicting future events and being "shamelessly opportunistic."

I don't know if you are one of the people who were beating the drum for him to be fired before he opted his butt out of town so I am not directing this next comment at you. I'll never understand why the people who most wanted him fired are the ones most determined to turn a mere career decision into a betrayal of everything that's decent in the world. Isn't it enough that he left a year earlier than expected and saved us all the time and trouble of a 2015 "Fire the Bum" campaign? It's like losing your sh** because the girl you were going to break up with on Friday dumped you on Thursday.

I suggest you read the portion of the article where the former assistant said "He didnt feel any support behind him, I guess, is the way I understand it." Add that to the $4Million worth of financial security he would lose if he stayed and the lack of an extension giving him any job security beyond 2015. Shameless?

None of us know his financial situation or the financial needs of his family. That is his call. None of us know if he made a mistake financially or not and none of us know what would have happened if he stayed. If he is ultimately wrong on this, then that is a mistake in judgment and he will have to bear the consequences of it. There is a big difference between making an error in predicting future events and being "shamelessly opportunistic."

I don't know if you are one of the people who were beating the drum for him to be fired before he opted his butt out of town so I am not directing this next comment at you. I'll never understand why the people who most wanted him fired are the ones most determined to turn a mere career decision into a betrayal of everything that's decent in the world. Isn't it enough that he left a year earlier than expected and saved us all the time and trouble of a 2015 "Fire the Bum" campaign? It's like losing your sh** because the girl you were going to break up with on Friday dumped you on Thursday.

I have reread the entire piece and have have concluded that Marrone a self serving bum and a betrayal of everything decent in the world.

He didn't know that. At the time, it was best for Marrone to opt out for pure financial reasons.

Love him saying that players should shut up. He's on point.

When faced with 2 choices in life you quite literally ALWAYS make the wrong decision don't you? Players should shut up? Why, because your man-crush can do no wrong? A coach who made a point of preaching family and community made an intrinsically selfish decision that hypocritically went against everything he claimed to stand for...players have a right to say whatever the hell they want after that.

Just as FA dramatically altered the NFL, and continues to do so today, college coaching opportunities have evolved into a bit of a financial competitor to the NFL. Media opportunities are also a slowly evolving magnet for former coaches. The family and community messaging is a joke to begin with. It's all about the money. Marrone may represent the beginning of coaches making more selfish decisions eventually based on finance, much the way FA for the players has created acceptable "selfishness" from the perspective of fans. Images of Talley now has cemented my belief that these players should consider finance above all else. Now that Marrone has broken the ice of quitting as HC of a universally historically dysfunctional franchise, the sub-consciouses of football coaches everywhere, and their respective agents, will be curious to see how things play out for Marrone, and of course how it may affect them. The GM vs. HC battles will escalate with so much money on the line and the equivalent inflation of respective egos. These stories make for better ratings, and the money just keeps feeding the monster. Human nature says some people will pay money to watch a competitor experience success. It also says that some people will pay money to see that same person or team fail miserably, if not worse. Some people enjoy players getting crippled before their eyes if they felt slighted in some way by that player, regardless of how vicarious or abstract that relationship may be. That's family. That's community. I am not a Marrone fan, but he wasn't wrong about everything. I think he knows exactly how far family and community actually goes in todays NFL.

Just as FA dramatically altered the NFL, and continues to do so today, college coaching opportunities have evolved into a bit of a financial competitor to the NFL. Media opportunities are also a slowly evolving magnet for former coaches. The family and community messaging is a joke to begin with. It's all about the money. Marrone may represent the beginning of coaches making more selfish decisions eventually based on finance, much the way FA for the players has created acceptable "selfishness" from the perspective of fans. Images of Talley now has cemented my belief that these players should consider finance above all else. Now that Marrone has broken the ice of quitting as HC of a universally historically dysfunctional franchise, the sub-consciouses of football coaches everywhere, and their respective agents, will be curious to see how things play out for Marrone, and of course how it may affect them. The GM vs. HC battles will escalate with so much money on the line and the equivalent inflation of respective egos. These stories make for better ratings, and the money just keeps feeding the monster. Human nature says some people will pay money to watch a competitor experience success. It also says that some people will pay money to see that same person or team fail miserably, if not worse. Some people enjoy players getting crippled before their eyes if they felt slighted in some way by that player, regardless of how vicarious or abstract that relationship may be. That's family. That's community. I am not a Marrone fan, but he wasn't wrong about everything. I think he knows exactly how far family and community actually goes in todays NFL.

Could not agree less. Marrone's situation was the result of a unique opt-out clause negotiated because the Bills were desperate and their ownership situation was unstable.

Marrone took the money and ran, that much is true -- but if he played out the scenario 100 times in his mind I bet not once did he wind up coaching the OL in Jacksonville.

When faced with 2 choices in life you quite literally ALWAYS make the wrong decision don't you? Players should shut up? Why, because your man-crush can do no wrong? A coach who made a point of preaching family and community made an intrinsically selfish decision that hypocritically went against everything he claimed to stand for...players have a right to say whatever the hell they want after that.

Everyone in the NFL is hyprocrticial. It's hypocritical to call out others' hypocrisy.

Personal feelings aside, he coached for 2 season here and got paid for it. I believe it was a 4yr deal at $16mil or $4mil per year. There is a lot of tension in the FO w Marrone and no extension. So he leaves with a $4mil. exit check. Sounds like he made $12mil in 2 years here. He is 50 yrs old, has a family, tension at work and fans who want him gone. I would do exactly what he did and say "You want me fired?! Screw you guys and your feelings. No extension, not on the same page as the front office, and fans screaming for me to get fired. Me and my $12 mil are gone. Even If I never get hired again, I'm rich, biotch." Well, he did get hired and will make a decent salary and a FREE $4Mil. I find it hard to believe no one here would take that offer, especially at the age of 50. He's got a lot less stress and is making $4mil + the Jags salary to be an OL coach. We got what we wanted, he's gone and yet some are taking it personal?! Why?! As the ever popular Stevie Johnson AKA the Joker asks "why so serious?!"JMO

Roman Maroni has just infiltrated the Jaguars organization. His takeover has already included the hiring of his chief Hatchet man. He has a $4 million severance package. He and his ego took control and quit, rather than wait to get fired, which likely was going to be his fate anyhow. His ego to me is at a Parcells level. Obviously he is no Parcells, but I doubt Marrone sees it that way. Just an observation. Marrone/Hacket are the antithesis of Parcells/Bellyache, but the arrogance remains the same. It certainly is entertainment. Cleo told me that Marrone will be the GM/HC of the Jags in about 21 months. She also said sell all of your precious metals. By sugar.