New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is basically a relapse of the spygate issues.

The nfl never closed the book on it. They just pit it away and hoped it would be forgotten. They didn't want to devalue 3 superbowls. People were satisfied that they got their hearts broken against the Giants and trusted it would all be on the up and up with the pats.

This isn't necessarily about footballs. It rekindles the spygate memories and there hasn't been any real closure there. Then people start thinking about how brady "guesses" correctly at the line with such a ridiculous rate... fumble stats... circus press appearances by brady and belichick. It's bad. Like you get blount. A scrub outcast... and suddenly he gets like 150 yards and 3 tds in an afc championship game. Gray does the same. Ridley and Vereen are scrubs. This plug and play just doesn't make sense.

by themselves these things don't prove guilt. Combined you scratch your head. Burdon of proof for my opinion of this doesn't need to be beyond a reasonable doubt. It all smells very funny. Other great teams. Dallas. 49ers. Etc were just better than other teams. We're told the pats dominate for 15 years because of belichick and brady?

May Day, I think the closure is there on Spygate - the Patriots got penalized, and carry the reputation as cheaters by some. What else is lingering? It's pretty funny how the NCAA will vacate national championships and individual awards, and destroy sports programs for years on end, and punish players and coaches who have absolutely no connection to past transgressions, yet, in major modern pro sports, a championship trophy has never been recalled, as far as I know.

Tell me more about the Blount, Ridley, Vereen, and Gray theories? That sounds interesting.

This is why I think BB and or Brady are lying.

Thursday both BB AND TB say they like the balls at 12.5 , they put them there and then give to the refs.

Yesterday BB says they give to refs and ask them to pump to 12.5

Thursday TB says they use balls in practice all week to get them scuffed up etc.

Yesterday BB states they rub them vigoursly right before game to get them where they want them.

Thursday TB states for payoffs he gets there 6 hours before game, picks out the balls he wants, and he wants no one touching them after that, so almost 4 hours before they turn in the balls to the refs.

Yesterday, BB says they rub the balls vigorously just before giving the balls to the refs.

Now, I do think the so called science he used is going to get debunked,

But those are just the few inconsistencies I can see from a quick glance.

But yet we are supposed to believe BB AND TB not lying.

Great post--you should send this to the major news orgs, as it's better than anything I've seen to date by them.

Seems kind of funny that you're defending a team here that was known as the place old vets went and seemed to regain a step and one of whom (Rodney Harrison) was caught for HGH use by being dumb enough to order it to his own address under his own name (the only way one could get caught, since the NFL doesn't test for it). I suspect that's a future Pats* scandal that will come down the pike sometime in the future....

Why do you always deflect to a different point?

It's true, the Pats are surely cheating with PED's. EVERY team in the league is cheating with PED's, it's a given in my mind. Seattle probably leads the league in offenders that have been caught, yet no one at any point has suggested the types of punishments that they are now for the Pats.

The guy who runs the American football division at Wilson, who makes the NFL footballs, says the only way a ball loses that much pressure is if you put a needle in it and let it out.

Despite reports that the cold weather or a player spiking the ball might have led to the deflation, the only way to remove that much air that quickly would be to put a needle in the valve and to let the air seep out, said Kevin Murphy, who runs the American football division at Wilson.

Wilson, he said, goes to great lengths to ensure the N.F.L. balls do not leak, even in extreme heat or cold. Every ball has a special three-ply urethane bladder inside, and during production, the balls are filled with 100 pounds of air pressure and then deflated to 13 pounds, the amount required for game balls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/sports/football/new-england-patriots-scandal-from-afar-a-retired-football-maker-says-wilson-did-its-job.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JAN-OUTBRAIN-VIEWED_AUD_DEV-0121-0131&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=OUTBRAINAD&_r=0

The guy who runs the American football division at Wilson, who makes the NFL footballs, says the only way a ball loses that much pressure is if you put a needle in it and let it out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/sports/football/new-england-patriots-scandal-from-afar-a-retired-football-maker-says-wilson-did-its-job.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JAN-OUTBRAIN-VIEWED_AUD_DEV-0121-0131&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=OUTBRAINAD&_r=0

Like the old song says:

:oops: There it is

If that doesn't put that excuse to rest I don't know what will. Literally no organization or group has done more testing on footballs and air pressure than the company that makes them.

If that doesn't put that excuse to rest I don't know what will. Literally no organization or group has done more testing on footballs and air pressure than the company that makes them.

For now you mean. Just give DC Tom the rest of the weekend in his laboratory and he will probably take that title.

PEDS is cheating by individual players. The Patriots have now been caught twice making a concerted team effort to cheat

How exactly do you KNOW that it wasn;t just Brady, and more than you KNOW that teams aren't involved in players using PED's?

I have long maintained that I think there is some team involvement, and that a teams with the best sources can gain a big advantage.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Belichick said "We simulated a game day situation in terms of the preparation of the football and where the footballs were at various points in time during the day, or night, as the case was Sunday. I would say that our preparation process for the footballs is what we do. I can’t speak for anybody else. It’s what we do. That process, we have found raises the PSI [pounds per square inch] approximately one pound. That process of creating a tackiness, a texture — the right feel, whatever that feel is, it’s just a sensation for the quarterback, what’s the right feel. That process elevates the PSI approximately one pound based on what our study showed, which was multiple footballs, multiple examples in the process, as we would do for a game. When the footballs are delivered to the officials locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI. What exactly they did, I don’t know. But for the purposes of our study, that’s what we did. We set them at 12.5. That’s at the discretion of the official, though."

I think it is going to come out that "our preparation process" is what is going to come under scrutiny. My guess is that in order to "prepare" 12-24 balls (whatever it is), they put the balls in a large tumbler - to rub them up and give them the tackiness & feel that the QB likes. It wouldn't surprise me that the large tumbler they use is an industrial sized clothes dryer. It would explain everything. A heated, tumbled ball that is set to 12.5 PSI shortly thereafter would easily drop 1 to 1.5 PSI once all the heat effect wore off (depending on game temps). They may have been doing it for years. Innocently or with ill-intent that is the question, but THAT is one that will be impossible to prove.

I think he's saying nobody cares to hear your arguments defending the Patriots.

How exactly do you KNOW that it wasn;t just Brady, and more than you KNOW that teams aren't involved in players using PED's?

I have long maintained that I think there is some team involvement, and that a teams with the best sources can gain a big advantage.

Because anyone who has ever played for, worked with, or known Bill Bellichick has said that he's a control freak and to think he wouldn't know about it is crazy. Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

I'm not sure that article said what you thought it did. It basically was about two guys: one who hasn't worked for the Jets in ten years, who may or may not have started the investigation because he also independently thought the Patriots may be cheating, but whom everyone says has the utmost integrity... and two, a guy who says the Patriots are collective serial cheaters and sociopaths and way, way worse than people could even imagine.

Belichick said "We simulated a game day situation in terms of the preparation of the football and where the footballs were at various points in time during the day, or night, as the case was Sunday. I would say that our preparation process for the footballs is what we do. I can’t speak for anybody else. It’s what we do. That process, we have found raises the PSI [pounds per square inch] approximately one pound. That process of creating a tackiness, a texture — the right feel, whatever that feel is, it’s just a sensation for the quarterback, what’s the right feel. That process elevates the PSI approximately one pound based on what our study showed, which was multiple footballs, multiple examples in the process, as we would do for a game. When the footballs are delivered to the officials locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI. What exactly they did, I don’t know. But for the purposes of our study, that’s what we did. We set them at 12.5. That’s at the discretion of the official, though."

I think it is going to come out that "our preparation process" is what is going to come under scrutiny. My guess is that in order to "prepare" 12-24 balls (whatever it is), they put the balls in a large tumbler - to rub them up and give them the tackiness & feel that the QB likes. It wouldn't surprise me that the large tumbler they use is an industrial sized clothes dryer. It would explain everything. A heated, tumbled ball that is set to 12.5 PSI shortly thereafter would easily drop 1 to 1.5 PSI once all the heat effect wore off (depending on game temps). They may have been doing it for years. Innocently or with ill-intent that is the question, but THAT is one that will be impossible to prove.

He said they didnt heat them in any way ever.

What is the significance of my post count in this argument?

Considering the substance of your 112 posts, your post count in the thread is about the only significant thing you've contributed to this thread. That and spending hours and hours of writing posts defending the *pats whom everyone knows by now are cheats. You want to side with the devil, that's all good, but you're doing so on a rival's message board which at the very least makes your devotion to their cause noteworthy for future posts.