New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There would still be footage of a guy doing something to the ball, even if what he is doing is hidden

Yeah, because it's absolutely impossible to hide behind something. You can hide half the team behind Vince Wolfork alone; I think you could lose a friggin' ball boy on the sidelines.

Another diversion.

You're the one who brought up corked bats. I just pointed out it's a myth.

how many hours have passed since the official checked the balls for proper inflation? where are the balls from the time checked till field ready? where are they stored? who is the person who sets them there. etc. this is called minutiae. Its the reason this is done that is the issue, NOT THE ACT

I read somewhere that they're kept in the officials' locker room until game time, then given to the respective teams.

This is the very disturbing and scary part of this whole shenanigan is it not ?

I'd say. fact of the matter is that before "deflategate" SB ticket sales were trending over 10% below average. Add in some drama from something that the league was told about as far back as the regular season Indy/Pats game and is something most teams and players think is extremely minor, and you have yourself a "scandal" that the league decided to blow into epic proportions right before a superbowl that was going to be unpopular because so many people dislike both teams.

The result? The largest media coverage of the NFL during the 2 off weeks before the bowl probably ever. And a 24% increase in ticket sales compared to the average.

I've seen other sports use crazy made up drama before to increase interest in big events. The most notable would be professional wrestling.

I'd say. fact of the matter is that before "deflategate" SB ticket sales were trending over 10% below average. Add in some drama from something that the league was told about as far back as the regular season Indy/Pats game and is something most teams and players think is extremely minor, and you have yourself a "scandal" that the league decided to blow into epic proportions right before a superbowl that was going to be unpopular because so many people dislike both teams.

The result? The largest media coverage of the NFL during the 2 off weeks before the bowl probably ever. And a 24% increase in ticket sales compared to the average.

I've seen other sports use crazy made up drama before to increase interest in big events. The most notable would be professional wrestling.

Doesn't the league sell all the tickets at face value? What do they gain from the secondary market sales?

You're the one who brought up corked bats. I just pointed out it's a myth.

Nope, this guy did...

I don't understand this implication that the NFL needs to prove that a specific person is responsible for this.

In baseball, if a player breaks a bat that is corked, and an opposing player picks it up, hands it to the ump, and the ump confirms its corked, the MLB officials don't need to prove that anyone person in particular corked the bat--it is assumed that the player using it corked it to gain their advantage.

Relevant because:

1) NFL refs confirm all game balls are within regs

2) Game starts

3) Brady throws a pick

4) colts player that intercepts it complains its underinflated

5) refs check balls

6) 11 of 12 patriots balls are "significantly below psi thresh hold".

Why do we need somone on the grasssy knoll holding a smoking sniper rifle with a sworn statement saying they shot kennedy?

I think it's pretty clear Brady cheated. Why wouldnt he? He's old, last year was a bad year for him, he looked awful the first month of this season, there was talk he could get benched, and then BOOM, the magic is back. And then you got players here and there all season talking about underinflated balls. Interesting.

Suspend him the same amount of games as a first time PED user.

However--Seattle's defense is way better than the defenses Brady faced at the beginning of the season. I expect a very bad performance for him if he doesnt get suspended, as hell be forced to play with regulation balls in a neutral arena. Remember: 0-7 on the road in the playoffs. He can't hack it without his doctored balls and private radio frequencies.

Kinda like when we are bringing up a point and you move on to another right?

Nope. It's hard to keep up with posters coming at me with weak arguments ,and diversions.

Give them to me one by one.

Edited by HoF Watkins

This is a fair statement.

They should not have to defend a supposition.

I am no longer discussing whether they did or did not. I am saying rules need to be abided by or punishments enforced. otherwise whats the point?

Helter Skelter.

Well, glad someone in here has some basic reason on this manner.

Now, about the claim that the NFL corroborated the media placed rumours that the Pats deflated 1, or more, balls .......

Doesn't the league sell all the tickets at face value? What do they gain from the secondary market sales?

The actual profits from ticket sales are probably 0.0001% of the money the NFL male from the superbowl. And I really mean that, I'm not just writing some random low percentage.

Far more important is interest in the Superbowl, which directly translates to tv viewers(where they make the big bucks). There's no better way to gauge interest in the Superbowl than ticket sales on the secondary market.

I don't understand this implication that the NFL needs to prove that a specific person is responsible for this.

In baseball, if a player breaks a bat that is corked, and an opposing player picks it up, hands it to the ump, and the ump confirms its corked, the MLB officials don't need to prove that anyone person in particular corked the bat--it is assumed that the player using it corked it to gain their advantage.

Relevant because:

1) NFL refs confirm all game balls are within regs

2) Game starts

3) Brady throws a pick

4) colts player that intercepts it complains its underinflated

5) refs check balls

6) 11 of 12 patriots balls are "significantly below psi thresh hold".

Why do we need somone on the grasssy knoll holding a smoking sniper rifle with a sworn statement saying they shot kennedy?

I think it's pretty clear Brady cheated. Why wouldnt he? He's old, last year was a bad year for him, he looked awful the first month of this season, there was talk he could get benched, and then BOOM, the magic is back. And then you got players here and there all season talking about underinflated balls. Interesting.

Suspend him the same amount of games as a first time PED user.

However--Seattle's defense is way better than the defenses Brady faced at the beginning of the season. I expect a very bad performance for him if he doesnt get suspended, as hell be forced to play with regulation balls in a neutral arena. Remember: 0-7 on the road in the playoffs. He can't hack it without his doctored balls and private radio frequencies.

Your premise on relevancy (pts 1-6) is based entirely on presumed facts. Thus it's folly.

EDIT. Points 2 and 3 are factual.

Edited by Pneumonic

The actual profits from ticket sales are probably 0.0001% of the money the NFL male from the superbowl. And I really mean that, I'm not just writing some random low percentage.

Far more important is interest in the Superbowl, which directly translates to tv viewers(where they make the big bucks). There's no better way to gauge interest in the Superbowl than ticket sales on the secondary market.

None of this is crazy conspiracy theory stuff. There's zero doubt the NFL pays whole teams of marketing people millions of dollars to study how to maximize interest and viewership in their televised events.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Well, glad someone in here has some basic reason on this manner.

Now, about the claim that the NFL corroborated the media placed rumours that the Pats deflated 1, or more, balls .......

I gotta bail brother but i will return tomorrow , Fantastic fun this thread! epic i think its described..

Right. A guy going around ball to ball, or standing next to them (not sure how they are stored), trying to act nonchalant, every game, every season, and it wouldn't look suspicious watching it now? And no one, not a fan in the stands, or any of the cameras have that scene recorded?

Except that the pressure is checked 2 hrs, 15 mins before kickoff and turn given to the respective teams. Two points:

1. There are no cameras rolling (or even people in the stadium) then;

2. That's plenty of time to take them wherever and do whatever to them. To say otherwise doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

As noted above, you keep embarrassing yourself here. How much are the League/Pats* paying you to troll here?

Your premise on relevancy (pts 1-6) is based entirely on presumed facts. Thus it's folly.

EDIT. Points 2 and 3 are factual.

But those are the facts as being attributed to

League-related sources.

Let's get one thing straight here--your position if/when all of that comes out as true? So far, you just keep saying "it's not true, there's no proof". What if the League turns around and says it's all true as per their investigation? Are you ok with this blatant cheating? If so, why?

It's shocking that Brady said today he hasn't been contacted by the NFL yet. It's Friday and the game in question was played on Sunday. My jaw literally dropped when he mentioned that in the press conference.

The narrative of Goodell providing cover for his buddy Kraft is unavoidable. Does Goodell think that this is going away? Is he that stupid? This week is going to be absolutely crazy and everyone can thank Goodell for it.

One point and one question:

1) Investigations start at the peripheral actors and work their way in to the primary actor. It's completely expected that Brady would be the last or near-last to be interviewed.

2) Anyone seen reporting on whether or not the Patriots' balls were re-checked AFTER the game? Just because balls were checked and possibly corrected at halftime doesn't mean they weren't re-altered for the second half.

Unless Brady is clearly to blame or admits deflating the balls himself, I don't think he should be suspended. I do think hoodie should be suspended immediately and for next season, Kraft should be suspended immediately and for part of next season, and they should forfeit draft picks. "Integrity of the game".

Are Hoodie and Kraft clearly to blame? I don't see how anyone could blame them before looking at the guy who touches the football on every play first.