NFL needs to modify OT rules in playoffs

Seattle getting a walk-off TD win yesterday totally screws Green Bay. For some unfathomable reason, some fans are fine with only one team getting an at-bat on OT. For that to happen in the playoffs is gross injustice.

While some dislike the college OT rules (Start possessions at opponent's 25 yard line) the NFL needs to adopt new OT rules for the playoffs where both teams are given equal offensive possessions. My proposal:

> OT can't end until each team has a chance to score offensively.

Example: SEA scores TD, GB gets ball. Fails to score. SEA wins.

Second example: SEA scores TD, GB get ball and scores TD, SEA gets ball and punts, GB kicks FG and wins.

>The only exception is if a team scores on a defensive takeaway or safety. That ends the game immediately.

> As an added twist, require 2pt conversions only after TDs in OT.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. I was thinking they should take the OT rules and implement them during the regular season. Particularly so that there's never a tie.

They didn't play defense. That's their problem. All they had to do was keep them out of the end zone and they'd have had their chance.

How did the TD screw GB? They gave up the TD so I don't see how it screws them when all they had to do was prevent a TD to guarantee a possession in OT

Play a little defense and give yourself a chance to win

I completely agree -- GB got screwed by the coin toss. I like the 2 pt conversion ot requirement.

What? How does winning the coin toss guarantee Seattle scores a touchdown?

How did the TD screw GB? They gave up the TD so I don't see how it screws them when all they had to do was prevent a TD to guarantee a possession in OT

Play a little defense and give yourself a chance to win

What? How does winning the coin toss guarantee Seattle scores a touchdown?

I think we need a way to make the coin toss fair. How many teams lose because of the coin toss? I bet in almost every game, some team is losing after the coin is tossed! It's totally unfair, when you think about it.

Maybe they should just take turns ... No that's unfair - who gets the first turn?.. Put both offenses on the opposing 25yd line at the same time all game. Whoever scores the most for 60minutes, wins.

This thread is very INteresting.

INdeed it is!

Hey PTR, if GB had won the toss and scored a TD this thread wouldn't exist. You knew the OT rules, they actually were changed away from sudden death, as you also know. Why are you crying about this now?

I think we need a way to make the coin toss fair. How many teams lose because of the coin toss? I bet in almost every game, some team is losing after the coin is tossed! It's totally unfair, when you think about it.

Maybe they should just take turns ... No that's unfair - who gets the first turn?.. Put both offenses on the opposing 25yd line at the same time all game. Whoever scores the most for 60minutes, wins.

How many teams previously lost bc of the coin toss...you do realize they changed the rules recently don't you? If you give up a TD in OT knowing it will end the gane then you clearly don't deserve to win

How many chances did GB have to win that game yesterday and now they got screwed bc Seattle scored a TD in overtime...how weak is that

Edited by Max997

How many teams previously lost bc of the coin toss...you do realize they changed the rules recently don't you? If you give up a TD in OT knowing it will end the gane then you clearly don't deserve to win

Sorry, thought my sarcasm was more noticeable. I was mocking the notion that the coin toss is what lost the game for GB. I agree with you, GB lost the game because their defense gave up a TD drive, not because of the coin toss.

The problem is the 2nd team (in this case greenbay) would have a huge advantage.

Seattle drove down legit and using a 3 downs and punt philosophy to do so

If greenbay (down by 7) got a kickoff on their own 20 they would attempt to drive 80yards but using 4 down philosophy... thats a huge advantage.

If greenbay converted 3 4th down attempts to score a TD to tie - thats fair to seattle??? no way....