Someone Tell Me Again Why Buddy Traded Lynch...

cale

The OP may be too young to remember but way back in 2010 when we made the trade, it was blatantly obvious to anyone who watched Bills games that Lynch was the 3rd best running back on the team. No one was clamoring for Lynch to get more carries in that backfield. He was completely expendable so they traded him for a 4th round pick, which the way people talk about mid round draft picks on this website, was seen as a great deal at the time. Chris Hairston, for what it's worth, has not proven to suck, has been good enough to make the roster every year and in limited duty, has actually looked capable at tackle. Is Chris Hairston better than Marshawn Lynch? Of course not. But there is way too much revisionist's history going around here lately. Bottom line, at the time of the trade, it was a fine trade and no one was complaining about it.

I was.

Again selective remebring. Lynch was the best RB on this team the year prior to the trade. The Bills created a situation that cause a mess. Both Lynch and the Bills were at fault.

Lynch got more criticism then he deserved here.

Edited by CountDorkula

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch was not playing to his full ability. I don't know why not. He's an eccentric person and perhaps didn't want to be in Buffalo. Neither did OJ at first of course but then the Bills got a great O line and OJ could reach his potential. Maybe Lynch didn't see that happening and just figured he'd wait out his rookie contract and move on.

If the free agent rules now in effect were in effect in the late 60s and early 70s, it could be OJ would have walked before discovering his greatness.

I was.

Again selective remebring. Lynch was the best RB on this team the year prior to the trade. The Bills created a situation that cause a mess. Both Lynch and the Bills were at fault.

Nope not true. The year before the trade Fred Jackson won the starting job from Lynch by averaging 4.5 yards per carry and rushing for over 1,000 yards while Lynch was relegated to backup duty, averaging 3.8 yards per carry. Jackson also had twice as many receiving yards and had proven to be a weapon out of the backfield as well. After drafting Spiller 9th overall and with Jackson looking better than Lynch again to start the 2010 season, Lynch was by every account, the 3rd running back on the Bills.

Nope not true. The year before the trade Fred Jackson won the starting job from Lynch by averaging 4.5 yards per carry and rushing for over 1,000 yards while Lynch was relegated to backup duty, averaging 3.8 yards per carry. Jackson also had twice as many receiving yards and had proven to be a weapon out of the backfield as well. After drafting Spiller 9th overall and with Jackson looking better than Lynch again to start the 2010 season, Lynch was by every account, the 3rd running back on the Bills.

So why did that happen. Why was Lynch 3rd string?

Buffalo should then by all accounts have two better backs than Lynch correct?

The whole situation was effed. The Bills let the entire thing spiral out of control and were left no choice but to trade arguably the best RB in the NFL today for a 4th rd pick.

Edited by CountDorkula

The OP may be too young to remember but way back in 2010 when we made the trade, it was blatantly obvious to anyone who watched Bills games that Lynch was the 3rd best running back on the team. No one was clamoring for Lynch to get more carries in that backfield. He was completely expendable so they traded him for a 4th round pick, which the way people talk about mid round draft picks on this website, was seen as a great deal at the time. If there can be any complaint by anyone, it's that the Bills could have MAYBE squeezed a third round pick from another team. Chris Hairston, for what it's worth, has not proven to suck, has been good enough to make the roster every year and in limited duty, has actually looked capable at tackle. Is Chris Hairston better than Marshawn Lynch? Of course not. But there is way too much revisionist's history going around here lately. Bottom line, at the time of the trade, it was a fine trade and no one was complaining about it. His heart clearly was not in it in Buffalo and he clearly decided to take it to another level Seattle. Who could have seen that coming? Besides the OP and half of you, of course.

There's also a ton of revisionist history on the other side -- forgetting Lynch's first two seasons in Buffalo, when he was very good.

I was.

No, he didn't. He was not interested in playing for the Bills. He was also less effective than Jackson. It's great that he has been productive in Seattle, but pretending he was the same back here is revisionist history.

No, he didn't. He was not interested in playing for the Bills. He was also less effective than Jackson. It's great that he has been productive in Seattle, but pretending he was the same back here is revisionist history.

Again, people are looking past Lynch's first two seasons with the Bills.

I want to hang them over this... but the fact is, seeing how bad the team has been, it would be tough to corral his personality in Buffalo. Even with a Championship Caliber team, Seattle has their hands full.

The overall fact that they kept churning these Running Backs without enriching the rest of the team is what is maddening. Henry, McGahee, Lynch, Spiller. Also, wasnt there a report that Green Bay wanted to bid on him but Buddy sent him to Seattle without allowing Green Bay to maybe offer a 3rd or a 2nd?

Again, people are looking past Lynch's first two seasons with the Bills.

No, no. Apparently we can throw those out because they don't matter for some reason. He was the same back here as he is in seattle.

Look up Marshawns run against CIncy if you do not remember.

There's also a ton of revisionist history on the other side -- forgetting Lynch's first two seasons in Buffalo, when he was very good.

Yes he was solid. He averaged 4.0 and 4.1 YPC as a full time starter both season, totaling 1,115 and 1,036 yards respectively. In his 4 years as a full time starter in Seattle, he has averaged 4.2, 5.0, 4.2 and 4.7 YPC, while gaining 1,204, 1,590, 1,257 and 1,306. So yeah he has taken his game to another level. If we could go back to 2009/2010, there was not one fan of the Bills who thought that Lynch was better than Jackson. Not a single one. Jackson was decidedly more productive and infinitely more likeable. He had won the job from Lynch. Period.

No, no. Apparently we can throw those out because they don't matter for some reason. He was the same back here as he is in seattle.

Look up Marshawns run against CIncy if you do not remember.

It's comments like these that make me wonder why I bother wasting my time in some of these threads. Go on freaking football reference and look at his numbers in Buffalo vs. Seattle. It's not that hard to do. Anyone who thinks Marshawn Lynch has not elevated his game in Seattle should not be wasting their time posting on a football site because they do not know anything about football. One run, great. Well then Garrison Hearst is the best running back in football history.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't know where people are getting the idea that he didn't want to be in Buffalo? That story was WAY overblown. Marshawn just wants to be Marshawn. He liked Buffalo but in general doesn't like being bothered by people (as evidenced by his interactions with the media). He was immature while in Buffalo and probably needed a change of scenery to reach his potential.

He's actually a pretty fun loving guy. He just doesn't like the spotlight. He didn't hate being in WNY at all (that was Willis). He has grown up some but those anxiety issues make him a target for the media. It's not that he is a punk (not at all). He just wants to be left alone to play football.

agreed.. Lynch was a disaster here and rightfully traded for whatever we could get for him. No teams were jumping up and down to trade for lynch at that time. He was only worth a 4th. In fact we were lucky to get that forth

Yes he was solid. He averaged 4.0 and 4.1 YPC as a full time starter both season, totaling 1,115 and 1,036 yards respectively. In his 4 years as a full time starter in Seattle, he has averaged 4.2, 5.0, 4.2 and 4.7 YPC, while gaining 1,204, 1,590, 1,257 and 1,306. So yeah he has taken his game to another level. If we could go back to 2009/2010, there was not one fan of the Bills who thought that Lynch was better than Jackson. Not a single one. Jackson was decidedly more productive and infinitely more likeable. He had won the job from Lynch. Period.

It's comments like these that make me wonder why I bother wasting my time in some of these threads. Go on freaking football reference and look at his numbers in Buffalo vs. Seattle. It's not that hard to do. Anyone who thinks Marshawn Lynch has not elevated his game in Seattle should not be wasting their time posting on a football site because they do not know anything about football. One run, great. Well then Garrison Hearst is the best running back in football history.

Lynch's second-best season ever with regard to ypg was his rookie season. He only played 13 games because he had a high ankle sprain mid season. He averaged 85.8 ypg behind a bad offensive line and with a bad qb. Again, the revisionist history has to stop. 85.8 ypg over 16 games works out to 1370 yards. He was a monster in his rookie season and played exactly the same as what we're seeing now. He also had 9 tds in 15 games in his second season, in which he played in 15 games. He went to the pro bowl that season. Also, as per PFR (!):

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

You contradict yourself here.

In Buffalo his first 2 years. avg 4.0 and 4.2 YPC

In Seattle avgs 4.5

Those numbers are very similar. You chose to remember the last year Lynch was here. I choose to throw those out because that was the beginning of the end.

Seems like the same kind of numbers.

Lynch's second-best season ever with regard to ypg was his rookie season. He only played 13 games because he had a high ankle sprain mid season. He averaged 85.8 ypg behind a bad offensive line and with a bad qb. Again, the revisionist history has to stop. 85.8 ypg over 16 games works out to 1370 yards. He was a monster in his rookie season and played exactly the same as what we're seeing now. He also had 9 tds in 15 games in his second season, in which he played in 15 games. He went to the pro bowl that season. Also, as per PFR (!):

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Nope, no it wasn't. Jason Peters was an AP second team all pro and pro bowler in 2007 and 2008 and they were excellent at pass protection and regarded as one of the better OL's in the league both years. But Bills fans love to throw around that their offensive line always sucks, I get it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Nope, no it wasn't. Jason Peters was an AP second team all pro and pro bowler in 2007 and 2008 and they were excellent at pass protection and regarded as one of the better OL's in the league both years. But Bills fans love to throw around that their offensive line always sucks, I get it.

Who were the other good o-line players besides Peters again? I seem to be forgetting, probably because the Bills were 30th in yardage, 30th in points, and dead last in yards per drive that season.

Edited by dave mcbride

You contradict yourself here.

In Buffalo his first 2 years. avg 4.0 and 4.2 YPC

In Seattle avgs 4.5

Those numbers are very similar. You chose to remember the last year Lynch was here. I choose to throw those out because that was the beginning of the end.

Seems like the same kind of numbers.

OK so besides conceding that his numbers have been superior in Seattle, there is also something called the eye test. Just watching him play, he is clearly a top 5 RB in football. Did he ever look that way to you in Buffalo? Would Fred Jackson have beaten him out for the starting RB position if he looked like he did yesterday on the Bills? Would they have drafted Spiller if he looked like he did yesterday on the Bills? Exactly.