New Stadium, Really...?

After looking at some video footage of the OBD facilities, I question whether a new stadium is needed. At the very least, some foresight was needed to stop the most recent round of renovations.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Behind-the-Scenes-Rexs-First-48-Hours-in-Buffalo/ebebd619-277a-45b9-9a36-0dcb5fa6c06a?campaign=fb_buf_video

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at some video footage of the OBD facilities, I question whether a new stadium is needed. At the very least, some foresight was needed to stop the most recent round of renovations.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Behind-the-Scenes-Rexs-First-48-Hours-in-Buffalo/ebebd619-277a-45b9-9a36-0dcb5fa6c06a?campaign=fb_buf_video

:thumbsup:

The training facility is and has been one of the best (if not the best) in the league since its construction. The stadium is not one of the best in the league and needs to be upgraded. It's about revenue generation. RWS just doesn't offer near the opportunities a new stadium will.

The training facility is and has been one of the best (if not the best) in the league since its construction. The stadium is not one of the best in the league and needs to be upgraded. It's about revenue generation. RWS just doesn't offer near the opportunities a new stadium will.

What would happen to the top-notch training center and field house if they built downtown, for example?

Would they be able to move it all?

What would happen to the top-notch training center and field house if they built downtown, for example?

Would they be able to move it all?

My guess is that they will move their operations downtown. I could be wrong but certainly the administrative offices. I would think that a practice facility would be built there as well. I am sure that it will be top of the line again as that's the Pegula's style.

Makes sense but it seems like a waste to me....

I wonder how realistic it would be to just rebuild in the same spot (sort of like Denver did).

Then again, it's not my money!

there is no intention of leaving the Bills in OP. The goal is to bring people to the city. Economic development will happen in the city, it never happened in OP. Nothing built up around the Ralph

I wonder how realistic it would be to just rebuild in the same spot (sort of like Denver did).

What about chicago? Same outside. But gutted the inside

there is no intention of leaving the Bills in OP. The goal is to bring people to the city. Economic development will happen in the city, it never happened in OP. Nothing built up around the Ralph

This is a crucial point. One could have thought/hoped that Buffalo would grow down toward OP when the stadium was built, but it has not happened. I could see the team deciding to keep the practice facility there. Lots of NFL teams have practice facilities that are separate from their stadia. But any new stadium will most likely (and, to my mind, should) be in the City of Buffalo.

this topic has been discussed at length and rightfully so... as for me, hard to really offer an opinion.. i am torn.. love the tailgating obviously at the ralph, but also realize the economics of today's NFL.. like anybody else who loves the area, i want to see it prosper and a downtown stadium just adds to the mix of buffalo's re-development.. but my biggest fear is the design.. again, that has been discussed , i am firmly opposed to a dome, just my opinion, if i was king of the world i would want an open air stadium like the steelers or seahawks stadium.. with a little character.. the idea of hosting a super bowl is a pie-in- the- sky idea.. not going to happen.. all that being said.. retro fit the ralph..

this topic has been discussed at length and rightfully so... as for me, hard to really offer an opinion.. i am torn.. love the tailgating obviously at the ralph, but also realize the economics of today's NFL.. like anybody else who loves the area, i want to see it prosper and a downtown stadium just adds to the mix of buffalo's re-development.. but my biggest fear is the design.. again, that has been discussed , i am firmly opposed to a dome, just my opinion, if i was king of the world i would want an open air stadium like the steelers or seahawks stadium.. with a little character.. the idea of hosting a super bowl is a pie-in- the- sky idea.. not going to happen.. all that being said.. retro fit the ralph..

I was in Pittsburgh this week, and like how Heinz Field looks. Also like the Linc in Philly and M&T in Baltimore. All of those are good models for open-air stadia in downtown areas.

Yeah, it is odd that you would be rebuilding your training facility when it is probably the best in the league. Money doesn't seem to be an object to TP when it comes to this kind of stuff. A lot of teams have their administrative offices and stadiums in different places as you and some others have mentioned. It feels to me like he and Kim are dead set on having their operation in Buffalo. I just hope that RWS doesn't just sit vacant like the Aud did for all those years.

A separate training facility seems like a pain in the arse. What ix you leave something in OP and need it for game day? It would be a good excuse for hazing rookies though.

That is actually an issue in a lot of places. Usually departments leave a designated person back until maybe like an hour before game time. People call this person for those couple of hours asking them to grab stuff. If you forget something that you need prior than you may have to turn around and go get it.

Thanks for posting that, I may have Rexfever but I think he was really impressed. I know I was.

I've attended many games at the Ralph and I have noticed it slowly aging, being renovated, aging some more. It's getting old. Face it, it needs to be retired. I know as a native of the Buffalo area that it is a bit of pride for Bills fans to "brave" the elements and see the Miami Dullpins shiver when they visit the Ralph BUT....I think a dome stadium would draw more family type fans to the games. My wife says when the chill factor is like -25 she's not going to sit outside. Also maybe it would make the noise level higher? Make it harder for visiting teams? As for the training facility you can move all the equipment and use the old facility for some other purpose?

Wherever it is I hope it's a dome. I know the old school football fan looks upon the elements romantically but damn it's uncomfortable when it's 35 degrees out and raining. Buffalo just gets to much weather.