CJ has Jets "on his list" with Gailey there

YoloinOhio

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely post on the board, as I've found that by the time I see something I want to respond to, someone has already made the point. Often it is you Kelly. When I saw the thread title, the first name that popped in my head is Harvin. The Jets have a lot of needs, but brought Harvin in to basically play the CJ role, or at least that is what the powers that be at the time promised him. So, to immediately assume the Jets would make a big money offer for CJ is to assume a lot. But, these are the Jets of course, so we can't rule it out.

did we not just do similar with sammy/spiller?

No, but why would he make his backup "list" public if he's happy hear? What's his point? Don't you publicly announce Plan B after your Plan A fails?

odds are someone said - hey what about that chan gailey hire, and he said - could be a good spot.

i doubt its much of anything.

I wish no ill will on Spiller.....but I absolutely am not certain if he fits Roman's offense

I have the same skepticism as you John, maybe more. I think it's very predecisional right now, with lots of staff conversation to take place in the coming days about what the Bills want to do.

Whaley has come out and said: "we’re going to try to do our darndest to get this guy in the fold and get him back...I’m sure he’s disappointed with how last year went with the injuries, but we want him to come back with us and get back to the form we know he can play at.”

But I'm not convinced. Maybe Whaley is pumping him up out of loyalty or possibly to get a rival (Jets?) to eat a chunk of their cap trying to "lure" him away from us. I say that because just before Whaley gave his quote, Rex said this about Spiller:

“I’ve met C.J. and obviously I have a great deal of respect for him having to try to stop him and things,” said Ryan. “One thing I think that he’s going to understand about me is I’m going to tell him what I believe to be the truth. All players seem to appreciate that.”

That's not flattery coming from Rex, it's more like, "I have some hard coaching for you, son." Such as, "I love ya but learn to pass protect and hit holes hard or you have no place on my team".

I predict that in the end, Spiller will NOT be back.

If he's happy with plan A, why would he be talking to all about his plan B?

Why wouldn't a pending free agent publicly talk about other spots who could use his services? Does it really serve him better to insist that Buffalo is the only place for him?

The reason I don't really want CJ back is that he doesn't block and he's going to get whatever QB we have out there...killed.

This.

CJ has been in the league for several years, and has never even slightly improved at pass blocking. While it's not the #1 responsibility of a RB in the league, it's still an important one, and CJ is just not very good at all at blocking.

One of the worst plays of this past season, don't remember who it was against but it was later in the season: CJ blew a block on a pass-rushing defender, who came free at Orton but managed to miss him and fall to the ground. Orton danced around long enough for the defender to get back up and sack him from behind. After missing his block on the defender, CJ merely stood around and watched the defender get back up and make the play. Didn't even make a half-hearted attempt to stop him.

I lost any remaining desire to keep CJ on the team at that point. He can be a home run hitter, but he has no interest or ability to become even average at his other responsibilities.

I've seen what CJ can do when used correctly. He was rivaled by A Peterson alone.

I've never thought CJ was an everydown back. As a matter of fact, the only reason he's a "RB" is because the NFL requires players to have a position. CJ should have been used as a weapon all over the field. Having worked with Sproles in NO, I thought that was what Moron was going to do.... But........

Anyone remember that great sideline grab Spiller made a few years back, on a streak, over a corner? I've missed Chan calling plays.

Edited by JaxBills

I've seen what CJ can do when used correctly. He was rivaled by A Peterson alone.

I've never thought CJ was an everydown back. As a matter of fact, the only reason he's a "RB" is because the NFL requires players to have a position. CJ should have been used as a weapon all over the field. Having worked with Sproles in NO, I thought that was what Moron was going to do.... But........

Anyone remember that great sideline grab Spiller made a few years back, on a streak, over a corner? I've missed Chan calling plays.

I have been patient with CJ for years, I won't call him a bust, but I won't call him great either.

I don't buy into the CJ's performance depended on a particular OC either.

Chan calling plays led the Bills to how many wins?

I have been patient with CJ for years, I won't call him a bust, but I won't call him great either.

I don't buy into the CJ's performance depended on a particular OC either.

Chan calling plays led the Bills to how many wins?

I'm not saying spend big money on Spiller. I'm saying I liked watching him when Chan called plays. Chan used him sparingly at RB and often on offense. If you really miss Hackett and Marrone, that's not something I'm going to argue about.

Chan beat the Patriots strait up once. Gave all of us the best week of the last FIFTEEN years of our lives..... But.... Yea, what a loser.

Why wouldn't a pending free agent publicly talk about other spots who could use his services? Does it really serve him better to insist that Buffalo is the only place for him?

A FA doesn't get a job through twitter or the press. He doesn't have to insist anything. He can just sit back and let his agent do his reaching out to other teams, pretending all the while how excited he is to stay in Buffalo and play for Rex.

A FA doesn't get a job through twitter or the press. He doesn't have to insist anything. He can just sit back and let his agent do his reaching out to other teams, pretending all the while how excited he is to stay in Buffalo and play for Rex.

It's a very sound strategy to remind the Bills and other potential suitors that he may have options to sign once free agency starts. He has absolutely nothing to lose by letting the Bills know that he may entertain other deals. Bills have the exclusivity window until March to sign him, and this is just a reminder that he won't instantly take their offer.

It's a very sound strategy to remind the Bills and other potential suitors that he may have options to sign once free agency starts. He has absolutely nothing to lose by letting the Bills know that he may entertain other deals. Bills have the exclusivity window until March to sign him, and this is just a reminder that he won't instantly take their offer.

No doubt. But they didn't learn that by reading his twitter feed. Rex knew this before he signed, most likely. On twitter, CJ is just telling the rest of us he's ready to move on.

Spiller, like any FA, doesn't likely care where he plays if he gets a maximum deal.

No doubt. But they didn't learn that by reading his twitter feed. Rex knew this before he signed, most likely. On twitter, CJ is just telling the rest of us he's ready to move on.

Spiller, like any FA, doesn't likely care where he plays if he gets a maximum deal.

What twitter feed are you talking about? He answered Manish Mehta's question on whether he'd be interested in rejoining his old coach. It was the perfect set up question, and he gave the right answer.

“There is that familiarity between me and him in that offense,” Spiller told the Daily News on Thursday. “So that would be a perfect match. Who knows what can happen, but I’d be foolish not to have those guys on my list. I had my best years in the league with Chan. So it’d be dumb not to give it serious thought.”

Give me a guy who grinds out a little over 4.2 yards a carry, seldom has a negative yardage play, seldom fumbles, catches the ball well, blocks well and can handle 300 carries- I will trade CJ explosiveness for Fred's versatility and heart or Lynch's toughness and power.