Will Rex's defense work in Buffalo

ganesh

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the only thing missing is a run stuffing MLB which Brown is not and Spikes wasn't either.

For that reason, David Harris would be a good addition.

Spikes wasn't a run stuffing MLB? Advanced stats-wise he was the very best in the league in 2013 and I'm sure right at the top this year, too. By stats and eyeball test he was a great run stuffer, IMO. There were isolated plays where he took a bad angle or something, but that happens to everyone.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The absolute last thing we need to be worried about on this team is defense

- Kiko is coming back

- It seems like every D linemen they plug into this line does well....they even found a DE for nothing last year that they can rotate with Hughes (provided he re signs)

- Preston Brown was huge find

- We actually have a reason to bring back Spikes

- Our secondary is pretty darn good

D is such a non issue....the issue with this team is can the offense manufacture 21 points a game on a consistant basis....because if they can? Were going to the playoffs next year.

The only possible issue is that the Bills don't have the prototypical offensive lineman eating NT required for the 3-4 defense, so there's a possibility that they regress a bit in run defense. But I doubt it will be 3-4 all the time.

With all the talent on defense Rex has been handed, it'd be difficult for it not to work. The offense on the other hand needs some personnel upgrades.

Agreed

Does Rex run a 3-4? If so we have to get all new players, right?

I'm heard that not one player on defense will fit Rexs scheme and the entire defense will be released.

I believe the only thing missing is a run stuffing MLB which Brown is not and Spikes wasn't either.

wait... spikes isn't a run stuffer?

wait... spikes isn't a run stuffer?

Rex's defense is predicated on disguised blitzes. In order to run that scheme effectively, they need a extremely talented secondar. Rex was successful when Revis played along with Cromartie. Do the Bills have equivalent backfield to execute his schemes successfully. Gilmore and Leodis are OK cornerbacks, nothing remotely close to Revis and Cromartie. Pettine had a good defense here because he had Byrd in Center Field and Kiko at the MLB position. In spite of that it was the 28th worst running game.

Schwartz fixed the run-stopping and played some solid defense. How can Rex coach this team to its strength. I almost feel he might try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Come on Man....The Jets had NO DB's last year and they finished 6th in defense.....

I get the feeling your trying to fit a square topic into a round hole.... give it up, Seriously... worry about the Offensive side of the ball if you want too, not the D.

Gilmore, Leodis, Graham, Robey, with AWilliams, Duke and hopefully Searcy, is an excellent backfield for Rex. The Bills DBs were at the top of the league as a group last year.

Also it's possible that Darrelle Revis is coming to town. Not sure if that's the best way to spend our $, but I doubt Rex will resist.

No, because Roman likes to run the ball and Rodgers is a really good passer.

/sarcasm

I hear he's ok, nothing special, Dont want him here though He's too old, and he was hurt, you know once some gets hurt it's over. Besides I hear Sammy dosent like the way the ball spins when he throws it.

Sarcasm OFF

Edited by gordong

But that was only because we had pretty significant pressure from the front 4.

I disagree. The DL got quite a few of their sacks because of the coverage. The secondary did a hell of a job last year and Gilmore was lights out in the 2nd half.

Every question of "Will the defense be able to work with a new coordinator?" is the same thing we asked ourselves when Pettine left and Schwartz came in.

If we were downgrading, it would be a bummer. Miraculously, every time has been an upgrade from the last. Pettine was good. Schwartz was better. Rex will put it over the top.

Are we still going to have Mario Williams, Kiko Alonso, and a deep secondary? Then yeah, we'll be fine.

I disagree. The DL got quite a few of their sacks because of the coverage. The secondary did a hell of a job last year and Gilmore was lights out in the 2nd half.

Yes. It seemed to me that the coverage resulted in A LOT of sacks this season. It'd be interesting to see the coverage sacks %.