1-15 Whaley interview on WGR

YoloinOhio

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys a weapon if used properly and healthy. Not so sure he is a "Ground and Pound" RB...

He is certainly not a 20 carry ground and pound guy, but Rex has made use of change of pace backs in the past. Question of what he is worth in that role, because I do not think he is "the guy".

Cue the Spiller haters in one...two...

After all, he's done so much for us.

I mean where else can you get a RB to pin your hopes on that does nothing for four games while raving about his ability to break long plays when he finally breaks one, but not for a TD, and in a game that we lose.

Yeah, it's really tough to not like a player like that. Let's see if Whaley can pull a Mario and give him way more money than he's worth too tying our hands to get something that we really need.

He is certainly not a 20 carry ground and pound guy, but Rex has made use of change of pace backs in the past. Question of what he is worth in that role, because I do not think he is "the guy".

That's it, he's a luxury role player.

This team needs a starting RB that can play every down.

He has always been a guy who is much more productive when you get him in open space. Marrone/Hackett's experiment to make him a between the tackles runner and take him out of the passing game failed—his production went down across the board.

So, you ask the perfect question here. If they want to bring CJ back as a change of pace runner to their ground and pound game, then how much of the cap do they want to allocate for that?

It's been a common refrain with Bills picks in the past, and it applies in this case as well. It's not CJ's fault he is what he is or that Buddy took him as high as he did. But the Bills can't expect him to be Adrian Peterson based on where he was drafted either; his film doesn't support that.

He has always been a guy who is much more productive when you get him in open space. Marrone/Hackett's experiment to make him a between the tackles runner and take him out of the passing game failed—his production went down across the board.

So, you ask the perfect question here. If they want to bring CJ back as a change of pace runner to their ground and pound game, then how much of the cap do they want to allocate for that?

It's been a common refrain with Bills picks in the past, and it applies in this case as well. It's not CJ's fault he is what he is or that Buddy took him as high as he did. But the Bills can't expect him to be Adrian Peterson based on where he was drafted either; his film doesn't support that.

You're absolutely right. The film doesn't support that. But the film does support using him in the ways you described above, where he is extremely effective, not having him be a workhorse or full time back and using other guys who are very good and cheap, like Fred and Boobie, to do other things, making it a "nightmare" for defenses to plan for and defend.

I mean where else can you get a RB to pin your hopes on that does nothing for four games while raving about his ability to break long plays when he finally breaks one, but not for a TD, and in a game that we lose.

Yeah, it's really tough to not like a player like that. Let's see if Whaley can pull a Mario and give him way more money than he's worth too tying our hands to get something that we really need.

If you don't think Mario is worth the money you're not paying attention. Mario is the single biggest reason we got Pettine, then Schwartz, and now Rex. Without him we wouldn't have got any of those guys. And he's played up to his contract.

You're absolutely right. The film doesn't support that. But the film does support using him in the ways you described above, where he is extremely effective, not having him be a workhorse or full time back and using other guys who are very good and cheap, like Fred and Boobie, to do other things, making it a "nightmare" for defenses to plan for and defend.

Agree with this. Two questions: Will the new OC commit to installing an offense that can find ways to get him the ball to create those matchup problems? What is he worth in that role? Marrone answered a question in the end of year presser about Spiller saying that they looked at how Gaily used him and tried to do some of that, but you can't build an offense based on the players capabilities. That is a paraphrase, but what he said. I think that speaks volumes as to why players with special skills such as Spiller, M. Williams, Goodwin, and even Watkins to some degree did not contribute to the level they could have. At least on offense, Marrone seemed to be the master of the square peg in a round hole philosophy. We saw it on the OL as well. Roman has shown an ability to adapt his philosophy to the skills of the players he has at Stanford and at SF, so I am hopeful we will see a change in how our skill players are utilized. Edited by MDFan

Spiller may well be a luxury role player but there's no way you can compare him to Mario. Mario is earning every cent he gets. He's a monster.

Agree with this. Two questions: Will the new OC commit to installing an offense that can find ways to get him the ball to create those matchup problems? What is he worth in that role? Marrone answered a question in the end of year presser about Spiller saying that they looked at how Gaily used him and tried to do some of that, but you can't build an offense based on the players capabilities. That is a paraphrase, but what he said. I think that speaks volumes as to why players with special skills such as Spiller, M. Williams, Goodwin, and even Watkins to some degree did not contribute to the level they could have. At least on offense, Marrone seemed to be the master of the square peg in a round hole philosophy. We saw it on the OL as well. Roman has shown an ability to adapt his philosophy to the skills of the players he has at Stanford and at SF, so I am hopeful we will see a change in how our skill players are utilized.

There are precious few coaches that can get away with forcing just their system on players and then getting those players to play well. And usually it's because they know what to look for in players that can be coached up by them. Bellichick is one. Chip Kelly. Can't really think of anyone else. The really good ones have a system but will utilize the talents of their players, too (which the devil and Kelly also will). Mike McCarthy. Sean Payton. Andy Reid. Bruce Arians. Dick LeBeau. And of course, Rex. Amongst others.

We will see how much Roman is willing to do that. The people that like him rave about his ability to do that. But it's so tough to know based on his teams and being with Harbaugh. I'm extremely confident that Rex will field an awesome defense. I have no idea what kind of offense we will run except for we will run a lot, we will have a lot of formations and motion to confuse the defense. How much we pass I am anxious to see. How Rex Roman will use Spiller (who I think we re-sign) is up in the air. Rex seems to understand the value of Sammy and Woods. Plus I assume we go after a good TE. I don't think it's going to be the Jets or The 49ers offense. But a power running team with a lot of play action and intermediate and downfield passes.

since Roman never had a RB like Spiller, it's hard to say how he would use him. He isn't a ground and pound RB but he could certainly be used in screens and the passing game. They won't be running up the middle on every down.

He had LeMichael James and didn't take advantage of his explosive speed

Whaley makes me feel like they know what they're doing. I liked the part where Ryan freely owned up to having a sucky offense and knows it has to be better. Hopefully with the right coaches and tools it does not resemble the Geno led hot mess that played the Bills last year. That was only fun if you're on the right side of things.

Well, what he said was, after it happened, his choices were to wallow in it and say oh no, now what... Or... do something else. So he said lets take it as a chance to upgrade and that's how they set out. It was a mindset thing not really a slam on Marrone. He downplayed that and said he had no problem with Marrone just some healthy disagreements. He's a politician like Rex is to some degree. He never outright bad mouths people.

+1. I think it was more of Whaley having an option to find an even better HC than about bad mouthing Marrone. The guy (Marrone) after all produced the first winning season for the BIlls in almost 10 seasons. That is a pretty big achievement for these underachievers.

+1. I think it was more of Whaley having an option to find an even better HC than about bad mouthing Marrone. The guy (Marrone) after all produced the first winning season for the BIlls in almost 10 seasons. That is a pretty big achievement for these underachievers.

I think it was in spite of him though. I would imagine Whaley believes that, too, he's just not going to say it.

Searcy will benefit this team more then Spiller when it is dollar to dollar. Also curious about Thigpen and Hogan. I want to ask Ryan about Hogan only to gauge his feel of this team.

As far as Spiller it will be about D Murray. If he signs a reasonable contract no way Sliller wants the baby

Cue the Spiller haters in one...two...

spiller spiller spiller spiller peas and carrots peas and carrots brown chicken brown cow

There are precious few coaches that can get away with forcing just their system on players and then getting those players to play well. And usually it's because they know what to look for in players that can be coached up by them. Bellichick is one. Chip Kelly. Can't really think of anyone else. The really good ones have a system but will utilize the talents of their players, too (which the devil and Kelly also will). Mike McCarthy. Sean Payton. Andy Reid. Bruce Arians. Dick LeBeau. And of course, Rex. Amongst others.

We will see how much Roman is willing to do that. The people that like him rave about his ability to do that. But it's so tough to know based on his teams and being with Harbaugh. I'm extremely confident that Rex will field an awesome defense. I have no idea what kind of offense we will run except for we will run a lot, we will have a lot of formations and motion to confuse the defense. How much we pass I am anxious to see. How Rex Roman will use Spiller (who I think we re-sign) is up in the air. Rex seems to understand the value of Sammy and Woods. Plus I assume we go after a good TE. I don't think it's going to be the Jets or The 49ers offense. But a power running team with a lot of play action and intermediate and downfield passes.

what's his name in St Louis formerly Tennessee can do this more then most believe. He just can't assemble the entire ensemble to complete his system on both sides of the ball.

TE? What's a TE? Seriously though, I generally agree with your take on offense but much depends on who plays QB and what kind of skill set we see. I think EJ may fit in well with how Roman ran the offense with Kap two years ago. Some of the same skills - not as fast but at this point probably better in the pocket.(although far from perfect as we know) Running some pistol with read option looks may be what EJ needs and the Bills went away from it even before they benched him. As both SF and Washington used it, and how Seattle uses it, it is a run oriented offense. If they bring in a QB with a much more polished downfield throwing game, I would certainly expect a different focus, such as run, play action, mid/long throws, a la Joe Flacco, but this would not be EJ's strength at this point as we learned.

Unless Roman, and Rex for that matter, drastically change their ways, runningbacks will not be catching passess. San Francisco loaded their backfield, so did the Jets sorta. Buffalo will have to replace Jackson, who I love to death as an awesome Bill but is just too damn slow for this new offense/team. I don't see any way they consistantly use Spiller. And he isn't worth very much $$ at all on this roster.

since Roman never had a RB like Spiller, it's hard to say how he would use him. He isn't a ground and pound RB but he could certainly be used in screens and the passing game. They won't be running up the middle on every down.

Yes.. and that is what Maronne tried to do.

You find away to get him into space, so you watch game tapes of Gailey's offense

Let's see if Whaley can pull a Mario and give him way more money than he's worth too tying our hands to get something that we really need..

This is flat out wrong.... The bills paid fair market value for a 2 time probowler (08 and 09) and got a two time probowler (13 and 14).

Many times the big free agents don't pan out. Mario has been consistantly better than the Houston campaign upon which his free agency was based. #totallyworthit