UFA offensive linemen we need to sign in free agency.

r henderson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colon is shot

Glenn moving inside works , he will not be happy but he will play hard because its a contract year

Henderson to left is worth a shot

Buluga or newton for right tackle

Boiling works at the other guard position

Let's all pay attention- Cordy is a LT - a premier LT - and is NOT moving inside! What the Hell don't you get? Thread premise busted - move on.

My first pick is Derek Newton of the Houston Texans. He is the number 2 rated right tackle in the NFL according to PFF. My second pick is Clint Boling of the Cincinnati Bengals. Currently starting at left guard but played right guard in college majority of career at Georgia. Move Seantrel Henderson to left tackle and kick Cordy Glenn inside. We can sign both players at the same cost it would take to sign Mike Iupati. "Brilliant"

It amazes me how people continue to suggest moving Glenn inside to guard. Glenn is obviously best suited for LT and has played well there. Henderson had a good season at RT and will only get better giving the Bills two young bookends for possibly the next decade so why in the world would anyone even suggest changing that?

This team needs guards, not tackles trying to play guard but true guards. Guys who have no problem pulling and gettout out in front on screens.

Im all for signing a guard in FA and drafting another fairly high.

Mike Iupati (age 28) and if not him I would say James Carpenter, Iupati obviously knows what Roman wants to do and Carpenter is a player on a power running line plus Carpenter is only 26. Colon is 32 I hope if he is brought in it is as a backup or to compete for the RG spot but one of the other guys needs to be brought in as starting LG. Henderson Wood and Glenn will look Like totally different players with a big time starting LG so the Bills do need to spend on a LG more than most teams. Even if they make a huge move at QB it will still require a huge move on the Oline.

Please take no offense--James Carpenter is horrible. A liability in pass protection, and merely adequate in run blocking. We have a better chance, IMO, of developing Cyril Richardson into a quality OG than Carpenter.

Let's all pay attention- Cordy is a LT - a premier LT - and is NOT moving inside! What the Hell don't you get? Thread premise busted - move on.

It's hardly busted. While I'm not a huge proponent of moving Glenn, there are two things you might consider:

1) Henderson played LT in college and throughout training camp. He's far more comfortable over there, as he's never played anywhere else. By contrast, Glenn has played LG before, and done it well. Moving him could potentially make 2 OL spots better without any added personnel.

2) A Vic Carucci article a few weeks back shed some light on the notion that there are some within the Bills organization that believe not only that Glenn will be a better long-term player at OG, but that Henderson will be a better long-term player at LT. Here's the article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-offensive-line-has-room-for-improvement-20141217

"Left tackle Cordy Glenn is mostly solid, although there are some within the Bills who think that his more natural spot might be at guard."

"There are some NFL personnel evaluators who believe Henderson has enough potential to eventually move to left tackle, the premier spot on the line, perhaps as soon as next season."

Please take no offense--James Carpenter is horrible. A liability in pass protection, and merely adequate in run blocking. We have a better chance, IMO, of developing Cyril Richardson into a quality OG than Carpenter.

It's hardly busted. While I'm not a huge proponent of moving Glenn, there are two things you might consider:

1) Henderson played LT in college and throughout training camp. He's far more comfortable over there, as he's never played anywhere else. By contrast, Glenn has played LG before, and done it well. Moving him could potentially make 2 OL spots better without any added personnel.

2) A Vic Carucci article a few weeks back shed some light on the notion that there are some within the Bills organization that believe not only that Glenn will be a better long-term player at OG, but that Henderson will be a better long-term player at LT. Here's the article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-offensive-line-has-room-for-improvement-20141217

"Left tackle Cordy Glenn is mostly solid, although there are some within the Bills who think that his more natural spot might be at guard."

"There are some NFL personnel evaluators who believe Henderson has enough potential to eventually move to left tackle, the premier spot on the line, perhaps as soon as next season."

The reality of Glenn being better suited at OG over LT may be well founded, however it's not gonna happen. Not if you want to keep Glenn around, the pay difference between OG and LT is ginormous, and the notion that Glenn and his agent being kosher with the move is simply not realistic. So for the sake of keeping Glenn on this team, let's put that idea in a lock box and chuck it into the trash.

The reality of Glenn being better suited at OG over LT may be well founded, however it's not gonna happen. Not if you want to keep Glenn around, the pay difference between OG and LT is ginormous, and the notion that Glenn and his agent being kosher with the move is simply not realistic. So for the sake of keeping Glenn on this team, let's put that idea in a lock box and chuck it into the trash.

I get what you're saying...that's one of the reasons I'd push to sign him long-term now. If you give him $7M/year and a nice guarantee, he's not going to make bones about being moved to OG if you need him to do so in the future.

Either way, I want Glenn on this team, and I'm totally fine with him at LT. I just also happen to be totally fine if he moves to OG because the team has 3 capable OTs (which may or may not be the case at the moment).

I get what you're saying...that's one of the reasons I'd push to sign him long-term now. If you give him $7M/year and a nice guarantee, he's not going to make bones about being moved to OG if you need him to do so in the future.

Either way, I want Glenn on this team, and I'm totally fine with him at LT. I just also happen to be totally fine if he moves to OG because the team has 3 capable OTs (which may or may not be the case at the moment).

I don't know man. I don't see him accepting anything less than $9M a year, probably closer to $10M

I don't know man. I don't see him accepting anything less than $9M a year, probably closer to $10M

I have no idea why I thought Glenn signed a 5-yer deal as a rookie; it was only 4, which means he's only got 1-year left on his deal.

Were it 2, we may have been able to squeeze him into a smaller contract based on the specter of injury...you're right, there's no way he's taking less than 9 or 10 with only 1 year left.

Given the quality of DTs that are running around (Dareus, Suh, McCoy, Williams, Richardson, Atkins) I think we need to rethink the worth of a top tier Guards- I'd expect the Bills to grab one OG in free agency and draft one - one player on the Bills already who I find interesting is William Campbell a converted DT who's also played OT but some think his best position will be OG.

Given the quality of DTs that are running around (Dareus, Suh, McCoy, Williams, Richardson, Atkins) I think we need to rethink the worth of a top tier Guards- I'd expect the Bills to grab one OG in free agency and draft one - one player on the Bills already who I find interesting is William Campbell a converted DT who's also played OT but some think his best position will be OG.

I actually agree with your analysis. OG's in my view are one of the more under appreciated and paid positions.

I think we have the talent to upgrade the O line on the roster we just have to have a coach that knows how to get those young players where they need to be .

And that wasn't going to happen with a second string player turned coach & especially one that didn't have the experience he needed to be a coach in the NFL !!!

But now that we have a competent coach on both sides of the ball i believe we will see just what good coaching can do for a unit like we did when Joe D was here , that O line did really well in both running the ball & in pass protection & the players were basically the same just the coaching philosophy was different ...

So you think we can afford Boling, Iupati, Bryant, Ingram and Cutler...... and that is before we get to re-signing our own (other than Spiller who you have said goes)..... nice thought.... but I am not sure we have that much cap space.

Yeah, a bit overzealous...but the point is, spend some money and use FA the way it should be. Build your core through the draft and supplement the roster with FA. No more of these "value picks" or guys that "could start" if they didn't have someone better in front of them.

Welcome to the 3rd annual offseason "move Glenn to OG" post...in disguise. No BRILLIANT...FOOLISH! Sign Boling and Iupati, regardless of price tag. Can't say it enough, the game is won at the line!

Cut ties with Spiller, then go out and get whomever Dallas can't afford between Murray and Bryant. If it's Bryant, go after Ingram for RB. If it's Murray, go after the best available WR to put opposite of Sammy...you're looking at an awesome crop of UFA WR this year.

Now, we don't have to sit around and wait for Spiller to "break out." Our OL if solid and you have another stud WR across from SW.

I think Cutler will end up being available...I know, but still a good stop gap...and draft a mid level QB with some size and a chip on his shoulder.

Easy...right!?

We already have someone to play opposite Sammy his name is Robert Woods.....here let me introduce him to you....have you even seen a Bills game this year???

It amazes me how people continue to suggest moving Glenn inside to guard. Glenn is obviously best suited for LT and has played well there. Henderson had a good season at RT and will only get better giving the Bills two young bookends for possibly the next decade so why in the world would anyone even suggest changing that?

This team needs guards, not tackles trying to play guard but true guards. Guys who have no problem pulling and gettout out in front on screens.

I don't think there has been a team that ever had both tackles for a decade. Just doesn't happen.

agreed, so many people don't understand that on the O-line people next to you matter. Having good-bad-good-bad-good across the line= all bad

Not if you sign him to an extension now, and then move him to guard. It wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they do, nor would it surprise me if they just leave him where he is.

So sign him to an extension as a left tackle then move him to guard? That's batshit crazy to pay a guard, left tackle money. You realize how much left tackles get paid? That's the exact reason he would be pissed about a move to guard.

So sign him to an extension as a left tackle then move him to guard? That's batshit crazy to pay a guard, left tackle money. You realize how much left tackles get paid? That's the exact reason he would be pissed about a move to guard.

I already said that I was under the belief that Glenn had two years left on his rookie deal, which would've given the team the negotiating leverage...that's not the case and I this retracted my statement.

Also, he has no reason to be upset about a potential move.

Andrew whitworth has twice moved from OT to OG and got fair market OT money. Just last year, the Rams moved Rodger Saffold to guard and he still signed with the Raiders in FA for LT money (of course, they failed him in his physical and he ended up back in STL playing OG, but the point remains the same).

Lastly, as I've said at least twice in this thread: I DON'T support moving Glenn; I'm simply saying that it would hardly be the scorched earth situation some are making it out to be.