Cowboys reportedly offer DeMarco Murray 4yr/$16mill

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the answer is, but the system is broken for running backs it often feels like. It's not perfect for anyone (nor do I expect it to be), but it effects rbs more than any position by a lot

I think what you might see is skilled college players gravitating more toward WR than RB. Especially with the rule changes, probably looking at longer careers and more money as a WR.

I think what you might see is skilled college players gravitating more toward WR than RB. Especially with the rule changes, probably looking at longer careers and more money as a WR.

It's the natural progression - teams carry more, they are higher paid and take less abuse. Still rough on the remaining RBs

Please, lets not compare Murray to Spiller.

Not just the guy. Not just the contract. But fundamentally, whether we want / need Spiller at all.

It would be like debating what price to pay Lee Smith. Why even waste a roster spot? Did you guys see Ezekiel Elliott from OSU?

There's a old addage that on many plays, a RB either needs to make 1 guy miss or else break 1 tackle (because, based on play design, it might not be possible to block every single defender). Who do we have on the roster that can do that? Nobody, on a consistent basis. And CJ would be my 3rd choice (old ass Fred can occasionally make a guy mostly miss, and Boobie can truck a dude if he works up a head of steam).

Stop thinking about how mad we'll be if CJ goes somewhere else and blows up. MOVE ON.

Edited by maddenboy

It's the natural progression - teams carry more, they are higher paid and take less abuse. Still rough on the remaining RBs

2 year + 2 year player option for RB's rookie deals. They have a much shorter average career, they don't need to get chained to their rookie deals. Spiller is gonna be 28 next season. That's ridiculous.

They're playing DB and perhaps LB as well. Getting to the QB is next to being the QB for getting paid.

Ben Tate got 2 years and 7M last year and was cut fairly early in the season.

Besides, with QB's taking up more cap room than ever, it stands to reason there'll be other positions who won't earn as much. It's not an insult, but for cap managers it makes sense. He won't get that kind of cash anywhere else. Not from a team interested in improving where it matters most.

How many of the 8 teams that played last season this season have great backs? Aside from Murray and Marshawn Lynch, every other team that played in the divisional round had no better than an above average back.

Edited by BillsVet

They're playing DB and perhaps LB as well. Getting to the QB is next to being the QB for getting paid.

Ben Tate got 2 years and 7M last year and was cut fairly early in the season.

Besides, with QB's taking up more cap room than ever, it stands to reason there'll be other positions who won't earn as much. It's not an insult, but for cap managers it makes sense. He won't get that kind of cash anywhere else. Not from a team interested in improving where it matters most.

How many of the 8 teams that played last season this season have great backs? Aside from Murray and Marshawn Lynch, every other team that played in the divisional round had no better than an above average back.

Lacy is a great back. Top 5 in the league or very close to it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

and as far as Spiller goes. Does he have explosive potential, Yes, but the consistent production wasn't there, injuries, fumbles. No one is going to pay big money for that. With the rum game philosophy coming to town I can see him staying for a decent price and with our committee of RBs having a role to play

This is exactly why I want the Bills to sign Mark Ingram who is still young rather than use a draft pick on a RB. Ingram will prob get a 3 year deal at around 3 mil per maybe even less

Edited by Max997

Everyone says it's a "passing league."

Just how much of a passing league will it be in a few years when Manning, Brady and Brees retire? Among them is a guy who owned the single season TD record, the guy who beat it and is the current record holder, and the only guy to have ever thrown for 5,000 yards more than once. Oh, and that last guy was, until recently, the record holder for yards in a season, which was beaten by Guy #2.

Elites left: Rogers... ????

Next tier: Luck, Rivers, Roethlisburger, Wilson (Romo? Flacco?)

QBs who looked bad/sad this year: Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick, Ryan, Bradford, E. Manning, Stafford, Cutler
Those not worth mentioning: The rest

Take away those three sure-fire future HOFers and look at the remainder of the list. After they're gone, RBs like Murray will be in high demand again. Jerry Jones, as usual, is short-sighted.

He's a great back, IMO best in the NFL right now. Vision, power, speed, agility ... the total package.

Otoh I cant really say the cowboys offer is that far off. Its a RB by committe league now, and given the right oline many backs will be successful running behind. Plus factor in RBs low age ceiling and injury risk, and it just doesn't make sense to risk paying too much ... I'd say best case he gets $24mm, with $17.5mm guarantee.

That is market value. No one is paying for RBs anymore.

Crazy how quickly the market changed regarding RBs. I'm sure RBs aren't particularly happy with how much Goodell has changed the rules to encourage teams to focus more on QB and passing. Weird to think that a lot of teams used to build their offenses around a premier running back.

I think the days of career bell cows are dying. You pick a young guy with talent (increasingly in the mid rounds of the draft) Murray, Ingram, Lacey etc and then you run them into the ground for the 4 years of their rookie deal and then you either re-sign them cheap or let them walk and repeat the process.