Just how good is Rex Ryan? Some Amazing numbers!

Beef Jerky

We all know Rex's defenses are great. How great? Here are some numbers. The following are from pro-football-reference.com, and take into account the years 2005-2014, the years that Rex was either a defensive coordinator or head coach.

Between 2005 and 2012, Rex Ryan's defenses never ranked lower than 6th overall. Eight straight years, 6th or better.

In 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have never ranked worse than 11th in total yards allowed.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 5th or better in yards allowed, including two 1st place finishes.

In 5 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 10th or better in total points allowed. They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in rushing yards allowed. They were 3rd or better 5 times.

In 9 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in average yards per rush allowed. They were 1st twice.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 11th or better in rushing TDs allowed They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

All of that seems pretty impressive, but "What about pass defense?", you say.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in passing yards allowed. They were 1st once and 2nd twice.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in avg yards/pass allowed. They ranked 1st and 2nd once each.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 10th or better in passing TDs allowed. They were 1st and 2nd once each.

What does all of this mean? Rex Ryan's defenses are consistently good or great. His defenses consistently stop the run, allow low rushing-yards-per-average, and give up few rushing TDs. They also consistently stop the pass effectively. I must repeat the following: For 8 straight seasons, Rex's defense were never worse than 6th overall. Thats extremely impressive.

One more bonus Rex Ryan number for you. It doesn't have anything to do with defense, but I like it anyway: Rex Ryan has been a head coach in 6 playoff games, all on the road. He is 4-2 in those games. Winning record in the playoffs. ON THE ROAD. Aren't numbers fun?

Go Bills!

More like a Schottenheimer/Sporano/Morninhweg thread....

I didn't know they were the Offensive Coordinators for the Bills in 2015...

Because that would be the only way a conversation about them would be relevant to the Bills in 2015

We all know Rex's defenses are great. How great? Here are some numbers. The following are from pro-football-reference.com, and take into account the years 2005-2014, the years that Rex was either a defensive coordinator or head coach.

Between 2005 and 2012, Rex Ryan's defenses never ranked lower than 6th overall. Eight straight years, 6th or better.

In 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have never ranked worse than 11th in total yards allowed.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 5th or better in yards allowed, including two 1st place finishes.

In 5 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 10th or better in total points allowed. They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in rushing yards allowed. They were 3rd or better 5 times.

In 9 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in average yards per rush allowed. They were 1st twice.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 11th or better in rushing TDs allowed They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

All of that seems pretty impressive, but "What about pass defense?", you say.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in passing yards allowed. They were 1st once and 2nd twice.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in avg yards/pass allowed. They ranked 1st and 2nd once each.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 10th or better in passing TDs allowed. They were 1st and 2nd once each.

What does all of this mean? Rex Ryan's defenses are consistently good or great. His defenses consistently stop the run, allow low rushing-yards-per-average, and give up few rushing TDs. They also consistently stop the pass effectively. I must repeat the following: For 8 straight seasons, Rex's defense were never worse than 6th overall. Thats extremely impressive.

One more bonus Rex Ryan number for you. It doesn't have anything to do with defense, but I like it anyway: Rex Ryan has been a head coach in 6 playoff games, all on the road. He is 4-2 in those games. Winning record in the playoffs. ON THE ROAD. Aren't numbers fun?

Go Bills!

I like numbers. I would love to sink into your numbers like a Californian into a hot tub, holding a glass of Pinot Grigio in my left hand and a sense of peace in my heart.

When I look at Pro Football Reference, what strikes me about the Ryan defenses of recent years is this:

League Rank on Pts allowed: 2010 6th, 2011 20th, 2012 20th, 2013, 19th, 2014 24th.

That's not so good.

What I'm afraid of is Rex getting in a rut where he can't see the flaws/how to fix his D. And having his cronie as DC will deprive him of those fresh eyeballs.

I like numbers. I would love to sink into your numbers like a Californian into a hot tub, holding a glass of Pinot Grigio in my left hand and a sense of peace in my heart.

When I look at Pro Football Reference, what strikes me about the Ryan defenses of recent years is this:

League Rank on Pts allowed: 2010 6th, 2011 20th, 2012 20th, 2013, 19th, 2014 24th.

That's not so good.

What I'm afraid of is Rex getting in a rut where he can't see the flaws/how to fix his D. And having his cronie as DC will deprive him of those fresh eyeballs.

Yea I was really hoping Jim stuck around for that reason. When things go well for Rex things go really well. When he has his personell, his defenses are unreal. But the last couple years have shown that he may not be able to adjust to fit what players he has. I'm hoping either A he learns to adjust or B we have the personnel that will work for him.

I didn't know they were the Offensive Coordinators for the Bills in 2015...

Because that would be the only way a conversation about them would be relevant to the Bills in 2015

These are the guys who Rex previously thought would do a great job with his offense.

with the Roman hire, the Ryan hire makes total sense . . . Pegs may or may not know football, but he knows how to assemble a team of winners. Man I hope I get to change my avatar this year...

Rex and Roman's teams records last year are a combined 12-20.

That's not so good.

So you are afraid that Whaley won't supply adequate prospects for Rex? I think Whaley probably is happy about the Rex hire and they will work well together. I don't see him letting all of Rex's defensive players go like the Jets GM's. Also missing on 13+ draft picks in the draft last year... Thank to Sir Idzik. Edited by Beef Jerky

That's not so good.

Or he might have been working with the worst GM in the NFL since Matt Millen.

So you are afraid that Whaley won't supply adequate prospects for Rex? I think Whaley probably is happy about the Rex hire and they will work well together. I don't see him letting all of Rex's defensive players go like the Jets GM's. Also missing on 13+ draft picks in the draft last year... Thank to Sir Idzik.

Where did I say that?

The HC has a lot of stuff on his plate other than the defensive game plan and X's and O's. The NFL is a chess match. Even a genius D develops flaws as opponents get film and learn how to take it apart. Then the D needs to fix its flaws and adjust. The Ryan D is a big gamble, big risk D. One interpretation of the good-at-first, not so good last 4 years is that OC's have learned to take advantage.

Another, which your post implies you may hold, is that Idrak just crapped the bed on drafting and retaining talent for Rex. That may be. The proof will be in whatever the Jets do next year. If they still struggle, it's lack of talent. If they pull a Detroit, well then.

We'll all see next fall on Sunday.

I would love to be impressed and feel great about this. I felt better when I thought we were getting Rex, Roman, and Schwartz. Maybe it's just me.

"what about offense, you say?"

Easy there, Debbie downer. Look at the QBs he's had to work with in new york.

One of them was mark sanchez. He went to the playoffs with him. Twice. The same guy who looked no better this year under an "offensive guru" who I'm sure you, and most of the board, would have creamed their shorts over had he been hired instead of Rex.

Truth is, the bills offense is probably going to suck again next year unless they get lucky at the QB position. And no hot shot offensive coordinator flavour of the week would have been able to do anything about it.

Edited by QB Bills

These are the guys who Rex previously thought would do a great job with his offense.

Rex and Roman's teams records last year are a combined 12-20.

It doesn't matter if Ryan went through 100 offensive coordinators in the past, any discussion of them in regard to the Bills in 2015. Is irrelevant. None of them are going to be the offensive coordinator for the Bills, Greg Roman is. His success over the last four years is pretty well documented and he is generally regarded as a very good OC. The overall record for his team last year was 8-8; however, he still had some good offensive numbers. So, if you want to talk about Roman, then it would be relevant.

BTW, if you want to point out what his team's record was last year, why don't you try to be a little objective and mention his team was in the NFC championship game in each of his previous three years?