Just how good is Rex Ryan? Some Amazing numbers!

Beef Jerky

Easy there, Debbie downer. Look at the QBs he's had to work with in new york.

One of them was mark sanchez. He went to the playoffs with him. Twice. The same guy who looked no better this year under an "offensive guru" who I'm sure you, and most of the board, would have creamed their shorts over had he been hired instead of Rex.

Truth is, the bills offense is probably going to suck again next year unless they get lucky at the QB position. And no hot shot offensive coordinator flavour of the week would have been able to do anything about it.

Exactly--look at the QBs he has to work with here. Snachez started ok and then regressed under Rex and his offensive staff. Ryan went through 3 OC's in rapid succession. Why do you think he is good a identifying good OCs? Why would anyone conclude this?

We all know Rex's defenses are great. How great? Here are some numbers. The following are from pro-football-reference.com, and take into account the years 2005-2014, the years that Rex was either a defensive coordinator or head coach.

Between 2005 and 2012, Rex Ryan's defenses never ranked lower than 6th overall. Eight straight years, 6th or better.

In 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have never ranked worse than 11th in total yards allowed.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 5th or better in yards allowed, including two 1st place finishes.

In 5 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses have been 10th or better in total points allowed. They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in rushing yards allowed. They were 3rd or better 5 times.

In 9 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in average yards per rush allowed. They were 1st twice.

In 8 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 11th or better in rushing TDs allowed They were 1st twice and 3rd once.

All of that seems pretty impressive, but "What about pass defense?", you say.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 8th or better in passing yards allowed. They were 1st once and 2nd twice.

In 7 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 9th or better in avg yards/pass allowed. They ranked 1st and 2nd once each.

In 6 out of 10 seasons, Rex's defenses were ranked 10th or better in passing TDs allowed. They were 1st and 2nd once each.

What does all of this mean? Rex Ryan's defenses are consistently good or great. His defenses consistently stop the run, allow low rushing-yards-per-average, and give up few rushing TDs. They also consistently stop the pass effectively. I must repeat the following: For 8 straight seasons, Rex's defense were never worse than 6th overall. Thats extremely impressive.

One more bonus Rex Ryan number for you. It doesn't have anything to do with defense, but I like it anyway: Rex Ryan has been a head coach in 6 playoff games, all on the road. He is 4-2 in those games. Winning record in the playoffs. ON THE ROAD. Aren't numbers fun?

Go Bills!

The Bills D was just fine. Show me how Rex, as HC, improves the offense.

Exactly--look at the QBs he has to work with here. Snachez started ok and then regressed under Rex and his offensive staff. Ryan went through 3 OC's in rapid succession. Why do you think he is good a identifying good OCs? Why would anyone conclude this?

Not saying he does or doesn't. I'm saying none of those coordinators had a decent QB to work with. And Ryan/Roman don't have one here either for that matter.

But Rex is one of the few coaches in recent memory to make some noise in the playoffs with a bad QB. Granted that was a few years ago now, but I am optimistic about this choice.

I'm curious as to who you would have preferred and why.

The highlight of the 2014 season for me was to see the Bill lay waste to Big Mouth Rex's teams 2x.

I particularly liked it when the blowhard stated his team would play 1000% better against the Bills in the second game, and the Bills then whooped the Jets 38-3. While destroying both their QB's, Fun stuff...

I sure hope Terry Pegula knows what he is doing.

The Bills D was just fine. Show me how Rex, as HC, improves the offense.

Greg Roman is OC and Whaley will probably bring in some O-Line. No different then is an offensive HC came in...

And yet he still has a below .500 record as a head coach

How come you left out two AFC Championships?

Not saying he does or doesn't. I'm saying none of those coordinators had a decent QB to work with. And Ryan/Roman don't have one here either for that matter.

But Rex is one of the few coaches in recent memory to make some noise in the playoffs with a bad QB. Granted that was a few years ago now, but I am optimistic about this choice.

I'm curious as to who you would have preferred and why.

I sad Kubiak a while ago. Bevell would be next--at least for EJ. Wilson keeps getting better, Kaep got worse.

My point is that, if there is one thing Rex has proven, it's that he can't assemble a decent offensive coaching team, despite trying 3 times in NY. If QB is the huge question here and not the D, how will he do better than he did with the Jets?

Greg Roman is OC and Whaley will probably bring in some O-Line. No different then is an offensive HC came in...

How come you left out two AFC Championships?

If an offensive HC (a real one, not a Doug Modkins one) came in, no one would be concerned with his OC choice. And our D would have been set with Schwatrz likely staying.

I sad Kubiak a while ago. Bevell would be next--at least for EJ. Wilson keeps getting better, Kaep got worse.

My point is that, if there is one thing Rex has proven, it's that he can't assemble a decent offensive coaching team, despite trying 3 times in NY. If QB is the huge question here and not the D, how will he do better than he did with the Jets?

If an offensive HC (a real one, not a Doug Modkins one) came in, no one would be concerned with his OC choice. And our D would have been set with Schwatrz likely staying.

That is a lie people would be concerned... Do you see people are freaking concerned about the defense hahaha.

This is the first time Rex has been able to hire his guy. I will tell you this right now Wilson is not a product of Bevell trust me.

Edited by Beef Jerky