NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not official:

Process of trying to hire Rex Ryan as #Bills HC had Brandon & Whaley up most of night. Source tells me they're "still grinding."

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 7m7 minutes ago

Update: #Bills president Russ Brandon & GM Doug Whaley still working on deal in Florida to hire Rex Ryan as HC.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Great hire. I said since Marrone left to double down on defense and go get an OC. Love it. Hope he keeps Schwartz so they can be a true hybrid D. But if not no big deal. The D under Pettine could not stop the run because the LB's including Kiko were awful at stopping the run. The run D may take a slight step back with Rex but the turnovers and QB pressure should be nuts.

Next steps:

1. Franchise Hughes

2. Sign Searcy - he should be a beast in this D

3. Extend Dareus as highest paid D lineman in the league

4. Extend Glenn at top 10 LT money

5. Go get Cutler

Which players win/lose with this choice interests me. Unclear as this depends on what D he runs.

If 3-4:

Hughes is likely gone as we have 3 Pro Bowl worthy DL players under contract, but I am not sure what this means as 2 of our 3 DL Pro Bowlers are NT types.

Spikes stays and Alonso joins him as ILB in 3-4.

On O, Ryan teams failed in effort to develop either Sanchez or Geno, can they develop EJ.

Its up to Pegs and Ryan to make this work, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a fan.

Great hire. I said since Marrone left to double down on defense and go get an OC. Love it. Hope he keeps Schwartz so they can be a true hybrid D. But if not no big deal. The D under Pettine could not stop the run because the LB's including Kiko were awful at stopping the run. The run D may take a slight step back with Rex but the turnovers and QB pressure should be nuts.

Next steps:

1. Franchise Hughes

2. Sign Searcy - he should be a beast in this D

3. Extend Dareus as highest paid D lineman in the league

4. Extend Glenn at top 10 LT money

5. Go get Cutler

Why # 1 as Ryan runs a 3-4 normally and if he keeps Hughes which Pro Bowl DL player do you cut or bench?

Why # 5 as Ryan has not successfully developed Sanchez or Geno?

This team needed an experienced hc and I was expecting and wanting Shanahan, Mike. I think Rex will work out just fine for us though. Knows how to beat the Pats and that helps us. He needs to show himself as being a good head coach NOW.

Dean, you are out of your element as a pissed off poster.

I think I get your feelings on Rex but think you will see that this was the way forward. Doug Marrone quit on the team, the players, his assistant coaches, the owner, the guys that hired him. And not to mention he seemingly alienated everyone he came in contact with. How he chose not to stay on is beyond me. Pegulas seem to be very loyal people and treat everyone with respect, dignity and class.

Maybe that's it. Those are characteristics Doug does not have and maybe all that made him feel uncomfortable?

Him quitting us will be the best thing to happen in a long time. You see the response from Pegulas to instant problem they were not expecting to have to deal with. I like how they handled it and what they came up with. This is worth celebrating as a Bills fan as this is not how things would have shaken out any time in the past.

Viva El Pegual!

Great plan! Give the keys to a guy who has NEVER been in charge of personnel. Because HCs trying to do both their job and the GM job usually works out to well, :rolleyes:

personnel? Like assembling the coaching staff and harmony among philosophies. Jeesh Debbie Downer. You're pesimism is nearly stojanic.

I fully believe Ryan can be the HCnwith superior assistants.

Don't ever franchise a complimentary player .. I agree with keeping d intact but remove any cancer that is like Byrd . Anything over seven mil lets make another player like Hughes a star .. What did bryce paup do afyer he was signed away from here.. Btw I really hope Hughes stays. Sorry don't know how to quote

Still not official:

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 4m4 minutes ago

Process of trying to hire Rex Ryan as #Bills HC had Brandon & Whaley up most of night. Source tells me they're "still grinding."

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 7m7 minutes ago

Update: #Bills president Russ Brandon & GM Doug Whaley still working on deal in Florida to hire Rex Ryan as HC.

Sexton looking for another crazy clause? If Rex is not a complete Richard Head he gets 1%!of the team.

I tried to google Ryan and his influence on the draft and stopped after about 10 articles when all they talked about was Idzik, except for three references to Taj Boyd.

We can disagree, it's no big deal. I would just be shocked if a guy with a defensive rep like Rex Ryan had little input on defensive players. Offensive players I can understand. But post two AFCCG's, I'd let him pick whoever he wants on the defensive side of the ball. Or at least take his input very seriously.

Someone provided this link earlier. Nice read and I love the third last paragraph and certainly sums it up for me.

"There will probably be a firestorm or two along the way — try not to flip anyone the bird, Rex — but the reward will be greater than the risk. The Bills will be a team no one will want to play. Buffalo Bullies."

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-is-now-the-jets-worst-nightmare/

Edited by beerme1