How far "away" is this team?

As opposed to other coaching changes since the Levy era this one does not feel quiet so much like another impending rebuild... Maybe. I think the obvious keys are:

- I just have to believe unless Rexy gets the job (which I doubt) no incoming coach is going to let Schwartz go. Why mess with a very solid D that might even improve if they can get Hughes back and Kiko returns to form? This D could be scary good next season with the two of them.

- Buffalo is probably for better or worse going to have Manuel under center. Sadly, it's hard to imagine that he is really that much worse than Orton. So if a new coach can get more out of him perhaps it is worth one or two wins vs. this year. If not... A long season is ahead....

- Two guards must be found. One likely through FA and the other through the draft. There is a good chance this is a fixable problem.

The unknown:

- when will Brady and crew begin to experience the decline that will come at some point. Nothing to say 2015 is the year but it could be. If he does start to slip the Bills D is potentially strong enough to carry the day against them. It's saying an awful lot but they dis shut down Rogers who is arguably every bit as good as Brady.

- The Bills may be loaded at skill positions outside of TE. Hard to say as Freddie may no longer be what he was and Spiller is probably gone. However, the Bills could be strong at WR if they had someone who could deliver the ball with accuracy.

- how much change does a new coach bring? Short term pain and confusion could contribute to losses before wins start happening.

- special teams - they were good this season but that can change quickly.

All in all with the exception of QB, a huge issue, this is a team that could make a new head coach very successful very quickly. If QB play is horrid a new coach could also be in for a very tough tenure as no easy answer is on the horizon.

Hard to say what will happen.

top offensive coach (we never get the "top" guys though) and a free agent QB and we are in the playoffs.

top offensive coach and we get lucky in the late rounds drafting a QB and we are in the playoffs for many years to come.

i love our defense and we have a lot of good special teams players. we are THIS close

260 miles lol

IMO They are close. Even before the season started I had thought 9-7 record and EJ as the starter. bills homerism I suppose.

The D was arguably as good as last season, the fewer sacks due to less blitzing by Petines scheme.

The run game was as good or bad as last season. So maybe with a better coach buying into the DW players I can still see improvement.

260 miles lol

IMO They are close. Even before the season started I had thought 9-7 record and EJ as the starter. bills homerism I suppose.

The D was arguably as good as last season, the fewer sacks due to less blitzing by Petines scheme.

The run game was as good or bad as last season. So maybe with a better coach buying into the DW players I can still see improvement.

I think the D was much better this season. More championship caliber.

We "should" beat - Jets x2, @ Titans, @ Jaguars, @ Deadskins (I'm not typically a "should beat" type of guy, but we are clearly more talent than those teams)

I think the Packers and to some extent the Pats games showed we can play with anyone in the league. Remaining games:

Dolphins x2, Pats x2, Colts, Texans, Dallas, @ Eagles, Giants, Chiefs, Bengals

I'm at a point with this team that I don't look at any of those games as sure losses. If we take care of business in our 5 "should" wins, then we need to go 5-6 against a schedule that isn't exactly daunting to finish 10-6 and likely in the playoffs.

Since the starting QB and headcoach walked out the door, the answer to this question is as uncertain and mystical as anything one can imagine.

The qb situation could be anything from EJ or his replacement play at a Probowl level, to a commitee playing arena league quality football.

The coaching situation could go anywhere from a future HoF'er taking the reigns and leading the team instantly to perennial success to the worst cross product of chan jauronlarkyonne you could imagine.

Unfortunately the only thing that is certain is most important coaching spot and the most important roster spot are up for grabs. And the future of the franchise will be decided by the outcomes of those two auditions.

A top 16 QB, functional OL, and conscious OC away. Seriously if we get a QB who can be as good with his completion percentage as Orton was behind a line that can run and pass back with any level of improvement and an OC who can be assertive and creative it's a playoff team even if they lose Hughes.

As opposed to other coaching changes since the Levy era this one does not feel quiet so much like another impending rebuild... Maybe. I think the obvious keys are:

- I just have to believe unless Rexy gets the job (which I doubt) no incoming coach is going to let Schwartz go. Why mess with a very solid D that might even improve if they can get Hughes back and Kiko returns to form? This D could be scary good next season with the two of them.

- Buffalo is probably for better or worse going to have Manuel under center. Sadly, it's hard to imagine that he is really that much worse than Orton. So if a new coach can get more out of him perhaps it is worth one or two wins vs. this year. If not... A long season is ahead....

- Two guards must be found. One likely through FA and the other through the draft. There is a good chance this is a fixable problem.

The unknown:

- when will Brady and crew begin to experience the decline that will come at some point. Nothing to say 2015 is the year but it could be. If he does start to slip the Bills D is potentially strong enough to carry the day against them. It's saying an awful lot but they dis shut down Rogers who is arguably every bit as good as Brady.

- The Bills may be loaded at skill positions outside of TE. Hard to say as Freddie may no longer be what he was and Spiller is probably gone. However, the Bills could be strong at WR if they had someone who could deliver the ball with accuracy.

- how much change does a new coach bring? Short term pain and confusion could contribute to losses before wins start happening.

- special teams - they were good this season but that can change quickly.

All in all with the exception of QB, a huge issue, this is a team that could make a new head coach very successful very quickly. If QB play is horrid a new coach could also be in for a very tough tenure as no easy answer is on the horizon.

Hard to say what will happen.

Until they have a QB, they are going nowhere. Horrific offensive line doesn't help. No running backs is bad but that's not hard to fix. I would guess back to 7-9 next season.

top offensive coach (we never get the "top" guys though) and a free agent QB and we are in the playoffs.

top offensive coach and we get lucky in the late rounds drafting a QB and we are in the playoffs for many years to come.

i love our defense and we have a lot of good special teams players. we are THIS close

Correction....we have never IN THE PAST gotten the top guy......this El Pegula's team now

Assuming they re-sign their defensive players, then all of the unknowns are on O.

1. Can they get good enough play at the QB position?

2. Will Spiller stay if the right coach is hired? Do the Bills even want him?

3. What will it take to get average play from the Oline?

4. They need a threat at TE; can they find and sign a FA?

5. After Watkins, Woods, and Hogan, they still need another talent at WR; draft or FA? (Can Goodwin stay healthy?)

I think Whaley/Pegulas can fix everything in 2015 except #1. The only time you can go out and buy a franchise QB, is when someone else thinks that QB is done.

This team was very close this year. The O-Line was putrid and the QB situation and play calling was at the heart of the reason we didn't make the playoffs. With a better coached offense and better game management with regard to playcalling this is a playoff team right now.

They were 9-7 with a mess of an offense and played one of the NFL's toughest schedules!

They're damn close.

Exactly! We're closer now than we've been in a long long time. It feels like next year is set up and right there for the taking....

AS much as I'd prefer to be in the playoffs, I'm actually excited about this off-season...

- we have the chance to hire a fresh game changing coach....we've interviewed about 15 candidates, last coaching go-round we were hard pressed to find anyone who wanted the job. I really hope The Schwartz is kept for DC and assistant HC....I'm undecided on the OC after the recent offense allegations that have come to light. No matter this could have the biggest impact on the team and with new owners who can cut the cheque and make it happen, perhaps we have an advantage over other teams in the league for once?

- new stable owners who have cash. The black cloud of relocation is gone and the cash is there to pay for better salaries and facilities and amenities. This can only help attract coaching candidates and FA's.

- EJ was never supposed to be a plug in starter out of the draft. He was always a project and as predictable as the Kolb signing was, he was supposed to sit and work for a few years...not get thrown in without even a QB coach at the time. He's finally had a chance to do that this past year and lets hope he has gotten better. Either way our GM has promised to bring in some competition....lets hope its a decent veteran plus someone out of this draft. It will take some work from our GM to get the right personell but I don't think its a pipe dream to have one of the 3 playing well enough to equal what Orton could have given us.

- yes our OL was a major issue. But it sounds like it was dysfunctional from the coaching on down. Whaley tried to upgrade thru the draft...which is where we should be trying to find our future starters. The 2014 results didn't pan out with the rookies, but obviously DW knows its an issue and will be addressing it...thru players and coaches.

- there are a few other issues, like the TE debate, figuring out the pending FA's (Hughes, Searcy, Spikes?) and deciding if we can get other players to match the productivity for less cap hit...but this is all do-able.

Bottom line this off-season should be exciting. There are number of tasks for Whaley to take care of but I actually trust him and am looking forward to where he is going to take us. Other than the last draft every decision has always had the shroud of Buddy Nix hanging over him. This is his off-season and his alone....even without a 1st rounder we have the draft and FA to plug some of these holes that kept us back this year.

Sorry that was a bit long winded and perhaps a glass half full POV....but like I said I'm excited for where this team is heading!

Go Bills!

Edited by undertow093