Bills fear Rex is leery about quarterback situation

HOUSE

I like Whaley. But am extremely alarmed if he is basically telling a new HC that EJ is the QB. On the other hand, Whaley has also strongly indicated that he will get a QB in FA, so not certain how both of these go together. Perhaps he is simply telling coaches that EJ is a good QB, and that we will also be adding one in FA. Less concern then about EJ for a future HC.

There's been no indication that he's forcing EJ on anyone.

Logically he's telling people EJ is a better option than marrone showcased but they need to keep adding talent to the position too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley's smart enough to know Marrone and his inept OC was the real issue, not EJ. Thank goodness championship major league managers don't pull their starting pitchers after only two hits in the 1st inning (they are smart enough to manage the overall game, not panic and let the situation spiral downward and out of control), but then again it doesn't take much to be smarter than Marrone and his inept OC. Have to wonder how many opposing teams around the league looked forward to playing the Marrone 3 & Out shuffle...sometimes good players have the misfortune of bad "coaching".

Logically he's telling people EJ is a better option than marrone showcased but they need to keep adding talent to the position too.

I'm sure he's not forcing EJ on anybody. But if the chatter is true that he speaks of him in glowing terms, that would be enough to scare off a coach who is wary of potential future conflicts.

Edited by Wiz

Giants, Redskins, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, and Seahawks have all won SuperBowls with QB's that were average or below average at the time they played.

Yeah, and we got beat by two of them!! :wallbash:

I like Whaley. But am extremely alarmed if he is basically telling a new HC that EJ is the QB. On the other hand, Whaley has also strongly indicated that he will get a QB in FA, so not certain how both of these go together. Perhaps he is simply telling coaches that EJ is a good QB, and that we will also be adding one in FA. Less concern then about EJ for a future HC.

and so we sit.as long as Whaley keeps pushing our project qb every smart head coach prospect will run away screaming. there was only enough room for one massive Ego between the dougs. I think it will be an even tougher sell to the proven commodity coaches like Ryan. especially since having a crappy qb situation cost him his job.[/size]

EJ is currently on the roster and in many ways has shown just as much good and bad as many of the other young QBs (i.e. the Ryan Mallets). Why wouldn't our GM ask potential HC candidates about EJ and try to hire someone that could work with and develop him?

Would you prefer we cut EJ and trade draft picks for someone elses young, unproven QB ask HC candidates how they like that guy? How does that really help?

I know a lot of people don't like EJ and think he's the worst QB ever, but who out there is a sure thing to be better? And by who is out there... I mean who is actually available. Not pie in the sky guys like RGIII that are currently under contract and are not in any way likely to be traded. If our coaching staff was as bad as its looking like they were, isn't it a possibility that EJ was a product of poor coaching and poor play design? So, maybe there is hope? Maybe its worth seeing if new HC candidates thought they could work with him?

Sorry if already posted (search shows it wasn't) but worth the discussion........

How dare he question Doug Whaley's #1 draft pick !!!!

Per a league source, the Bills are concerned that Ryan won’t be interested in taking on a team with an unsettled (and not easily fixed) quarterback situation. SNIP>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/bills-fear-rex-is-leery-about-quarterback-situation/

---

Can you blame him, our QBs suck and he just came from a place were their QBs suck.

That will be an issue for any potential coach, especially if Whaley is speaking "glowingly" about EJ. I can't see many coaches wanting to be saddled with a, as to now, bust for a starting qb favored by the GM.

Whaley is delusional, hopefully after the HC is hired he gets demoted or booted.

Whaley's smart enough to know Marrone and his inept OC was the real issue, not EJ. Thank goodness championship major league managers don't pull their starting pitchers after only two hits in the 1st inning (they are smart enough to manage the overall game, not panic and let the situation spiral downward and out of control), but then again it doesn't take much to be smarter than Marrone and his inept OC. Have to wonder how many opposing teams around the league looked forward to playing the Marrone 3 & Out shuffle...sometimes good players have the misfortune of bad "coaching".

This is one way to look at the situation. Another is that EJ is inaccurate at virtually every distance. He clearly has a hard time seeing receivers and has even been very disappointing when he runs, something he did well in college.

When Rob Johnson came to the Bills, I was taken by his height, perfect spirals, powerful arm and ability to run. When he sucked, I would blame the OL (which was horrid no doubt), coaches, etc.

My point is that many qbs have every tool and cannot play. You might see things in EJ that I do not and I hope that you are correct. However, going with EJ in 2014 would have been a huge risk. It would also be quite the gamble in 2015.

In terms of your post I ask you this: How many opposing defenses looked forward to playing against EJ Manuel?

this really isn't news. Of course, any in-coming coach would love to have an established star QB in place. Of the openings, only Atlanta truly features that.

Some might argue that SF is set with Kaepernick, but he showed this year that he isn't a sure thing. Others may say Jay Cutler is good in Chicago, but his teams have not been consistently successful and his salary eats up a lot of cap $ that could otherwise help their defense.

I'll agree that the Bills' situation is the most unsettled, but only Atlanta's is really very good.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Shh, it's fun watching people ride the roller coaster...

Anyway, whilst I think he would do a reasonable job here, I just don't see Rex turning this program round and getting us where we need to go offensively.

Precisely my concern.

I'm curious why not. Besides the secondary, and at least for now pending the free agency period, he'd have better defensive talent here than in NY and no worse a QB situation. He's never had great RBs or WRs or even a TE either, so with competent management, which I'm not sure we'll get going forward but which wouldn't be his fault, he should be able to make the most of what we have.

His Jets have played the Pats more competitively than we have, usually with less talent than we've had. That's worth something.

Pretty much anyone else we don't know what we're going to get, could be the next Jauron, Gailey, or Marrone and probably will be.

Am surprised at Rex Ryan if this story is true. Lombardi won two Super Bowls with Bart Starr (great coaches find a way to win with what they have), not cower away from a challenge. Anyone using the QB situation at present as an excuse to avoid the current opening at HC isn't worth Mr. & Mrs. Pegula's time. What next, a prospective coach shying away because it snows in Buffalo?! Enough excuses already. Any coach worth his weight in gold would be clamoring to come to the Bills to demonstrate that he is more than capable of rising to the challenge. Anything less isn't worth pursuing anyway.

Like the NFL hasn't changed a bit since then. The only coaches in recent history that won SBs with non top shelf QBs were Gruden in Tampa with Brad Johnson and Billick with Dilfer and both QBs are better than what we have. Johnson was an average QB even.

Still, that was then, this is now. The NFL has changed things so that the passing game now dominates the game.

Sorry if already posted (search shows it wasn't) but worth the discussion........

Per a league source, the Bills are concerned that Ryan wont be interested in taking on a team with an unsettled (and not easily fixed) quarterback situation. SNIP>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/bills-fear-rex-is-leery-about-quarterback-situation/

---

so Pro Football Talk speculation is gospel now?

Jimmy Sexton or Doug Marrone could be a "league source," mind you.

Whaley is delusional, hopefully after the HC is hired he gets demoted or booted.

I agree with you. But that raises the question, why is he the one charged with the hiring and still here?

I mean if that's what's going to happen then Pegula's making a major mistake. That would limit our search for our next GM to guys that want the coach that another GM hired for several years. It would say little for Pegula. It doesn't say much for him now though either that Whaley's still here.

The next few weeks should be very interesting.

Per a league source, the Bills are concerned that Ryan won’t be interested in taking on a team with an unsettled (and not easily fixed) quarterback situation. SNIP>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, for criminy sakes! The quote in the article is: "While it’s unclear whether the Bills would want Ryan, the Bills realize Ryan may not want them." The headline is a beat writer "stirring the pot" for views. You "fear" that you won't achieve something you WANT BADLY. If you aren't sure whether you want something or not, you gather more information. That's what's going on on both sides. There's no actual news or new information in that article, nothing to discuss

And there's nothing close to "how dare he question Doug Whaley's #1 Draft Pick", that's just House adding some extra stir to the pot. Quit. Just quit.

Rex should be leary of another team with an unsettled QB situation. He has not shown strength and skill at developing a QB and offense. The Bills should be leary of Rex for the same reason. Atlanta, on the surface, to the casual fan, looks like a much better match between the team's needs and Rex's strengths. Whether Rex sees it the same way is anyone's guess at this point.

Might be the same reason that learjet was only on the ground in Denver for 40 minutes: Gase asked "what's the super-secret plan for QB?" Whaley said "EJ Manual plus the best FA we can sign" Gase said "after working with Peyton Manning, I need someone at least on Matt Ryan's level" "Thanks for your time, any advice?" "Sign someone like Peyton Manning and get back to me!" To Gase: "Thank you, appreciate that, good luck!" To the pilot: "Call the tower, request clearance!"

Edited by Hopeful