Browns part ways with Kyle Shanahan

YoloinOhio

That may be one of the best scenarios.

There are so many things that go into being a HC that there is zero apprenticeship for. Guys like Gase and Bevell may turn into great coaches but there is so much you don't know about them. And learning on the job can be painful. That's why a lot of great coordinators fail. Just calling timeouts which seems so simple but it's the pressure of the game and you have 12 other things on your mind. Or the active list each game. Going for it or punting. Fans make these things out as so easy, and granted, a lot of times they are no brainers.

But sometimes it's like an easy four foot putt in golf. A lot of great golfers can drain them regularly. The guy that can drain it regularly on the 18th hole with the cameras and the crowd and the tournament and a million dollars on the line is the great golfer. And there aren't that many.

Tony Dungy said recently that the least amount of coaching he ever did was as head coach. Obviously, he had a ton of success. Basically, it's a different job than coordinating, which is why I'm always worried about coordinators. Some can make the next step (Belichick), but there are a lot of Scott Linehans and Gregg Williamses out there. Good coaches can come from anywhere - John Harbaugh (one of the very best) was a ST coach. Tomlin wasn't a DC either. Andy Reid's highest position was QB coach. It's why I'm not terribly concerned about Reich. The fact that he isn't an experienced coordinator doesn't mean much to me.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoyer is 10-6 as a starter but debateable to give him credit for the game he got Kiko'd in 1st qtr.

All kinds of reports now from the Browns reporters that Kyle was difficult to get along with, etc.

Where have we seen this before...

The Browns beat reporters are notorious shills for the franchise, probably the worst in the league. In return for "access" they print whatever the franchise wants their message to be. On top of that, I imagine I'd be difficult to work with if I had the owner's voice in my headset telling me what play to run as well.

I don't have a problem with Kyle as OC as long as his father is not the HC, because if Kyle doesn't work out you have to fire both.

I kind of agree with your logic with the if you fire one you have to fire both, but who cares? We would have a great HC and a very good OC.

That said, I think no matter how you look at it, Kyle walking away from Cleveland paves the way for him to work with his dad. I think it will be in Oakland, but I would be okay if it happened in Buffalo.

M. Shanahan is a top notch HC. We have a top notch DC, and K Shanahan has had moderately good success with crappy offenses and between him and his dad working with our offense after adding a couple of OG's via draft and FA, i think we definitely make the playoffs in 2015.

BigPappy

Hoyer is 10-6 as a starter but debateable to give him credit for the game he got Kiko'd in 1st qtr.

All kinds of reports now from the Browns reporters that Kyle was difficult to get along with, etc.

Where have we seen this before...

Yea and we also know people say things that are completely false to sabotage a coaching opportunity.

Edited by HOUSE

Nate Hackett 2.0.. This has disaster written all over it

???? What are you talking about?

His name came up as a replacement for Kyle. Pettine connection.

Lol

Oh...

@RyInCBus: Wow. Scathing. RT @Bumblyjack: Refer to this piece on Kyle Shanahan and entitlement. From last December. http://t.co/hPYID3ttlh

Yeah, if his inability to make nice with RGIII is a problem, I think we now have a season with Jay Gruden to indicate that perhaps the issue was on the other side of the table.

There's some pretty ****ty stuff in there, though.

Oh well, he's not our coach insofar.

???? What are you talking about?

Yeah, if his inability to make nice with RGIII is a problem, I think we now have a season with Jay Gruden to indicate that perhaps the issue was on the other side of the table.

There's some pretty ****ty stuff in there, though.

Oh well, he's not our coach insofar.

I agree it sheds light on whether the Shanahans were the problem now that we see what came out this year.

His name came up as a replacement for Kyle. Pettine connection.

Lol

Oh...

@RyInCBus: Wow. Scathing. RT @Bumblyjack: Refer to this piece on Kyle Shanahan and entitlement. From last December. http://t.co/hPYID3ttlh

This linked piece only tells me that the Redskins organization is a horrible, horrible place. Every year there are people from within ripping coordinators, players, coaches, and management. Remember all the rips on Gregg Williams? Just think of Haslett this year and RG III.

It is such a dysfunctional organization. I no longer believe the rips because I think they're always fueled by some vendetta from within. Other organizations have this problem (indeed, it's going on with the Bills right now), but the Redskins under Snyder have taken it to a different level.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think he would be one of the best "Stand alone" offensive coordinators the Bills could bring in if Schwartz is given the reigns of the team. If the Bills do go out and hire a OC or offensive based HC not sure Kyle would want to "share" credit by working under an offensive coach.