My coaching prediction

Nasty

Mike Shanahan - head coach

Kyle Shanahan -OC

Jim Schwartz - DC

Whaley trades with the Redskins to acquire K. Cousins or with Chicago for J. Cutler (both qb's drafted by Mike at his last two respected job) all this to create competition with EJ

Big names. Huge egos. Sprinkle in family. Potential disaster.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well one thing is for sure, if Mr. Pegula decides he wants Shanahan or Holmgren or Cowher as HC, he will pay the man whatever it takes. This could be good and could be bad. But not "same old OBD".

No kidding. We've tried hot young coordinators, marginal retreads, and college coaches. Let's stop screwing around and make a run for this thing and bring home some hardware NEXT YEAR. Any of these assistants are going to go through a steep learning curve. Even then the odds of any of these guys succeeding is probably < 40%.

We dont have time fot that. Let's win NOW!

Interesting line up of coaches. I prefer Schwartz as HC and his choice of OC, i am confident he will make the right decision for his OC. I am nervous about Whaley potentially negotiating a trade for a QB. His track record tells me he may overpay in terms of draft picks for average talent.

The Shanahans, one or both, would be a major mistake. Mike is a mediocre coach who became a name thanks to Elway. Plus his lack of judgement on how he handled RG III and possibly ruined the kids career is well documented and says eons about him. Kyle apparently can't get along with anyone other than his father. DON'T TOUCH THEM!

Mike Shanahan - head coach

Kyle Shanahan -OC

Jim Schwartz - DC

Whaley trades with the Redskins to acquire K. Cousins or with Chicago for J. Cutler (both qb's drafted by Mike at his last two respected job) all this to create competition with EJ

Russ Brandon wants this to happen, and I agree with him as EJ would finally be working with coaches that could actually help him develop.

The Bills do this, and I can see them in the playoffs this year.

I'm totally cool with this minus the Cousins part.

I like the Cousins part along with Schwartz as DC. The Shanahan's were a disaster here in DC. Not all their fault but it was bad down here. Makes the Marrone thing look benign.

Shanny can't win without Elway. It wasn't his coaching that won the superbowls, it was his QB.

How many SBs did Elway win without Shanahan? In 2005 Shanahan got Denver to AFC Championship Game with Jake Plummer at QB. Went 11-5 with Brian Griese. These 2 cases would seem to me anyway to indicate he CAN win with Shmucks at QB.

Shanny can't win without Elway. It wasn't his coaching that won the superbowls, it was his QB.

I assume you mean "can't win the SB without Elway(or equivalent top 5 QB)" because as many have shown, he certainly can win without Elway.

As I see it, the Bills have a SB calibre Defense......and what I mean by that is that the D theoretically is good enough to allow a QB to Dilfer a SB win. What Shanahan has regularly shown post Elway is that he can get good production(regular top 10 with top 5 running games) from his offenses regardless of the talent level(give or take).

At a different time I would not be keen on Shanny.....but at this particular point in time I believe Shanahan could have a good chance to actually get us to the SB before our defensive window closes.

I really hope not. I like Mike, not his son. Its a good prediction, but its also the safe, boring move. Its kinda scaredy cat move, Doug Marrone would make that move if he were GM... I think Pegula wants to go big

Hiring a Super Bowl winning coach, taking an OC from the Browns and keeping Schwartz would be going big. Marrone would make the move of hiring a "Marrone" type of coach for the gig.

The Shanahans, one or both, would be a major mistake. Mike is a mediocre coach who became a name thanks to Elway. Plus his lack of judgement on how he handled RG III and possibly ruined the kids career is well documented and says eons about him. Kyle apparently can't get along with anyone other than his father. DON'T TOUCH THEM!

Lombardi had Starr. Holmgren had Favre. Landry had Staubach. Johnson had Aikman. Most great coaches have great QB's. Levy went to 4 straight w/Kelly not Buster Mathison or Vince Ferragamo... A coach still has to coach no matter the talent he has on hand. Just because talent is there doesn't mean they will automatically win. Elway lost 3 Bowls before Shanny showed up with Terrell Davis and that running attack... THAT is the real reason the Broncos won 2 Super Bowls under Shanny.

Edited by purple haze

How many SBs did Elway win without Shanahan? In 2005 Shanahan got Denver to AFC Championship Game with Jake Plummer at QB. Went 11-5 with Brian Griese. These 2 cases would seem to me anyway to indicate he CAN win with Shmucks at QB.

I agree

Mike has the cachet of the Superbowls, and has crafted winning records (albeit scarce playoff appearances, and even scarcer playoff wins) with some pretty scratchy QB

What has he done lately? Not impressed with the personnel he brought in for the later-years Broncos or Washington.

Kyle Shanahan is like Frank Reich to me - a minimally experienced coach, only without the wealth of "been there done that" experience.

It's always a difficult thing when you have relatives (or even close friends of the boss) in a position of power. It automatically clogs up the lines of communication because if there's an issue, well, who wants to complain to Mike about his son?

I think Shanahan wants to be le Grand Frommage. HC and VP of Ops with GM reduced to a scouting/researching function. So I think if he comes, Whaley goes.

I think Shanahan wants to attract his own coordinators, thus doesn't likely want to keep Schwartz. And does he have the track record of pointing to his coordinators and saying "look here, they're All That and a Bag of Chips" which would make Schwartz ( who almost certainly wants to be a HC again some day) feel it's in his interest to negotiate to stay?

I don't know if I'd describe it as a "scaredy cat move" but it's certainly a "blinded by the light" catch-a-former-star head coach kind of move.

What would "go big" mean to you?

I dont necessarily want Pegula to go big, but lately, I feel he wants to. He wants to make a statement that these arent the same old Bills... Going Big would mean bringing in some inexperienced, yet up and coming guy. This could be a coordinator or even a college coach. The whole Shanahan thing isnt that bold considering Mike is old and experienced. Him and his son are connected to each other; their hirings would radically alter the organisation, but it wouldnt be something "fresh" or crazy. It's logical. Something BIG is illogical. Not necessarily a good thing, but Pegula wants it...

In this scenario please define what "BIG" means? They're all retreads or hasn't beens

Edited by Uffalo Ills

I had a dream last night that the BILLS did exactly what this O.P.just said.

Mike SHananhan said in my dream that he would move EJ around on rollouts to give him only half the field at a time to worry about ,and give the Bills the running that he always had in Denver,and Washington

He also said even though he prefers to run the 3-4 due to create presure he would leave the defense the same under Jim Schwartz since it ain't broke dint fix it.

With that being said my money is Shananhan going to the 49ers

I had a dream last night that the BILLS did exactly what this O.P.just said.

Mike SHananhan said in my dream that he would move EJ around on rollouts to give him only half the field at a time to worry about ,and give the Bills the running that he always had in Denver,and Washington

He also said even though he prefers to run the 3-4 due to create presure he would leave the defense the same under Jim Schwartz since it ain't broke dint fix it.

With that being said my money is Shananhan going to the 49ers

Once in a while a rollout is nice, but you can't make a living at it. Defenses love only having to worry about half a field as well. A QB needs to work from the pocket most of the time and make the defense defend the entire field. That said, Mike Shanahan has shown he can get production out of a disparate group of QBs (Elway, Griese, Plummer, Cutler, RG3) and I don't think he's ever had the luxury of this kind of defense so I wouldn't hate the idea of him coaching this team.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think with his handling of RGIII was not all him it was more his owner. Their owner is way too involved and he smelled playoffs and pushed the trainers and Mike to play him because the owner knew it was their only shot at the postseason. That is the problem with this league now the win now mentality. Mike should have stood his ground and sat RGIII and not play him until he was totally healed even heading into the next season, if he did he would probably still be in Wash and the Skins would be a threat every year.