My coaching prediction

Nasty

I deep down think that Pep Hamilton will get the job when all is said and done. He has worked with Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler and numerous other QB's in the league. I think that's what the Bills are really hoping for. Someone who can develop E.J.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all about LOYALTY!!! I say elevate Schwartz, make Pepper or Donnie DC(remember Henderson coached under Pettine and Schwartz). Before I keep Hackett, I'd have a nice sit down with this season film in tow and ask questions about it! I'd bring in the "BEST" offensive line guru out there and add to the staff. I'd thank him and relieve Todd Downing of his duties.If Hackett stays, I'd have another "QB coach"/ OC in tow just in case Hackett meets his demise before season end. I'd keep the special teams coach, if he wants to stay. There weren't many broken pieces here. The marriage between these coaches and players seemed to be good and the continuity can't hurt.

Mike has the cachet of the Superbowls, and has crafted winning records (albeit scarce playoff appearances, and even scarcer playoff wins) with some pretty scratchy QB

What has he done lately? Not impressed with the personnel he brought in for the later-years Broncos or Washington.

Kyle Shanahan is like Frank Reich to me - a minimally experienced coach, only without the wealth of "been there done that" experience.

It's always a difficult thing when you have relatives (or even close friends of the boss) in a position of power. It automatically clogs up the lines of communication because if there's an issue, well, who wants to complain to Mike about his son?

I think Shanahan wants to be le Grand Frommage. HC and VP of Ops with GM reduced to a scouting/researching function. So I think if he comes, Whaley goes.

I think Shanahan wants to attract his own coordinators, thus doesn't likely want to keep Schwartz. And does he have the track record of pointing to his coordinators and saying "look here, they're All That and a Bag of Chips" which would make Schwartz ( who almost certainly wants to be a HC again some day) feel it's in his interest to negotiate to stay?

I don't know if I'd describe it as a "scaredy cat move" but it's certainly a "blinded by the light" catch-a-former-star head coach kind of move.

What would "go big" mean to you?

For one, it is the biggest splash he can make.

Also, it makes the most sense as far as winning now. Kyle Shanahan has been an OC for 6 years and he did not get promoted to that position by his father. And Mike has had numerous top 10 offenses with not just john elway as his QB. He knows QBs and was able to win with Jake Plummer, Cutler, Steve Beurline, Brian Griese. His problem has always been building a defense, which is already in place here.

I dont necessarily want Pegula to go big, but lately, I feel he wants to. He wants to make a statement that these arent the same old Bills... Going Big would mean bringing in some inexperienced, yet up and coming guy. This could be a coordinator or even a college coach. The whole Shanahan thing isnt that bold considering Mike is old and experienced. Him and his son are connected to each other; their hirings would radically alter the organisation, but it wouldnt be something "fresh" or crazy. It's logical. Something BIG is illogical. Not necessarily a good thing, but Pegula wants it...

I don't know if I'm Pegula that I want to go with a young up and comer in my first go around for hiring a coach. I would rather go with an established guy that has won and can bring the mentality to get the front office working together toward a championship. I don't know if Whaley can provide that from his side given the relationship with Marrone, even with what he knows from Pittsburgh.

Mike Shanahan - head coach

Kyle Shanahan -OC

Jim Schwartz - DC

Whaley trades with the Redskins to acquire K. Cousins or with Chicago for J. Cutler (both qb's drafted by Mike at his last two respected job) all this to create competition with EJ

I don't see how this could be disappointing to any Bills fans. Switch the QBs out with Sam Bradford though, and I'd be more interested. Bradford inevitably will get hurt, but EJ will be a solid back-up in this league.

Mike Shanahan - head coach

Kyle Shanahan -OC

Jim Schwartz - DC

Whaley trades with the Redskins to acquire K. Cousins or with Chicago for J. Cutler (both qb's drafted by Mike at his last two respected job) all this to create competition with EJ

I have a feeling that if Shanahan comes on board, he's going to bring his own staff with him, including a new DC. He has rings, yes, but he has an ego to go with them, and assuming the leadership reigns with half of the coaching staff already in place seems unlikely (however wise it may be).

I also have a feeling that, like before, Shanahan is interviewing with the Bills to give himself some leverage, and a fallback. I'd like to believe otherwise, but something tells me he'd leap at the chance to coach in Chicago, San Francisco or Atlanta over Buffalo or his nemeses in Oakland.

Your scenario is one of the better of the available scenarios, but I can't see it happening...and I really wish there were better scenarios to choose from than a down-and-out former great at HC and a flamed-out QB with a quarterback rating of 46.8 last year.

I like your thinking (though for whatever reason, I kinda like Schwartz as HC...I like his fire), I just wish our circumstances were better. It's not a great year to need a head coach, unless one was looking in the college ranks, which the owners seem either unwilling or unable to do.

I don't see how this could be disappointing to any Bills fans. Switch the QBs out with Sam Bradford though, and I'd be more interested. Bradford inevitably will get hurt, but EJ will be a solid back-up in this league.

I'd love to see Bradford brought on board. Do you think that St. Louis would be willing to trade him, though? Their cupboard is awfully bare behind him, and it's difficult to see them replacing him with someone better.