Reliability of "High-ranking sources" in media reports

Given the volatile situation at One Bills Drive, what level of confidence do you have in validity of something that a "high-ranking Bills source" tells Carruci, Schefter, or any other NFL or Bills beat reporter about the head coach search? Is it possible that these "high-ranking sources" the same people who were bad-mouthing Polian last week? If the building is full of people trying to protect their turf, what credence do you give to any of these reports?

I start to see a pattern/theme with different media members and the agenda(s) show bias often times. If you know the source then you can determine how credible it is. For example there are conflicting reports on whether Marrone was actually offered an extension by the Bills and chose to walk away, or if he requested an extension for he and his assistants and was told no. The first report came from national media - Rapaport, Lacanfora. Typically national media receive info from agents. The second report came from local media - Tim Graham. Graham supposedly has a source at OBD. So until

There is proof otherwise, I'll believe the OBD source over the agent of the coach.

As far as Polian, Carucci is the closest to him. Whether or not anyone badmouthed polian is tbd and could just be conjecture as an excuse to why he didn't take the job. I have a hard time believing if he really wanted the job, he wouldn't find a way to overcome that. Why would he even care? He could get the guy whacked once he was here.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, get our an organizational chart for the Bills and define who is "high ranking" and then you'll have some idea. My point is, high ranking in what department? Ticket sales? Stadium facilities? Concessions? Reporters get to conveniently hide behind the sources and never have to reveal them. It's actually very good for driving clicks but also, in my opinion, drives credibility close to zero. The goal of the media in 2014 is to get clicks, which is now how ad revenue is generating as the print media is dead. So clicks = money. Once you know that this is the business model, it's very hard to lend any credibility to a single report that uses anonymous sources. Plus, they're trying to be timely and again, timely means report anything, anywhere, anytime whether credible or not. I've said it before, the media is on the same rung as lawyer and prostitute, especially the print media which has to work so hard to maintain a foothold in the digital age.

whatever credence you want? all you can do is weigh the source, and whether it makes sense in the context of how you understand whats going on.

ultimately it doesnt make a big difference either way, as its just watching a football team get ready to play a game

It depends on the reporter, honestly. I trust Wawrow's "high ranking sources" with the Bills a lot more than I'd trust Schefter's, who'd I trust more than any reporters from the NYT, for example.

Some guys have real access - they can walk the halls, hear the water cooler talk, and have the behind-the-scenes context to know that their anonymous sources are reliable and accurate. The out-of-town guys, they pick up the phone and talk to someone, which isn't valueless, but it's not remotely the same.

FWIW,

When news of the altercation between Marrone and Whaley broke on Sept 5, LaCanfora said the "just go ahead and fire me" quote was thrown by Marrone." Tim Graham put up these up on twitter around 9:30am:

https://twitter.com/bytimgraham/status/507929216940519424

https://twitter.com/bytimgraham/status/507929845351710720

Later he wrote this article:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/09/05/brandon-marrone-deny-report-of-spat/

It could be circumstantial but looking at Graham's first twitter and Russ's quote in the news article, I assume Russ later decided to publicly acknowledge the practice altercation after first remaining anonymous to Tim in the morning. Both twitter statements imply someone with very good knowledge of the altercation and the dinner afterwards. I assume Russ is one of Tim's "sources" for these reasons.

It depends on the reporter, honestly. I trust Wawrow's "high ranking sources" with the Bills a lot more than I'd trust Schefter's, who'd I trust more than any reporters from the NYT, for example.

Some guys have real access - they can walk the halls, hear the water cooler talk, and have the behind-the-scenes context to know that their anonymous sources are reliable and accurate. The out-of-town guys, they pick up the phone and talk to someone, which isn't valueless, but it's not remotely the same.

case in point, wawrow reported Marrone didn't leave the war room when Sammy was drafted. Probably because he or someone he knows was there in person. Schefter reported he "stormed out"... Then later that another account was he just "walked out." Schefter is just tweeting what the agent tells him to tweet.

case in point, wawrow reported Marrone didn't leave the war room when Sammy was drafted. Probably because he or someone he knows was there in person. Schefter reported he "stormed out"... Then later that another account was he just "walked out." Schefter is just tweeting what the agent tells him to tweet.

Yup. And maybe he walked out because there is only one round that night and after trading up, the Bills were surely done. ;)

I start to see a pattern/theme with different media members and the agenda(s) show bias often times. If you know the source then you can determine how credible it is. For example there are conflicting reports on whether Marrone was actually offered an extension by the Bills and chose to walk away, or if he requested an extension for he and his assistants and was told no. The first report came from national media - Rapaport, Lacanfora. Typically national media receive info from agents. The second report came from local media - Tim Graham. Graham supposedly has a source at OBD. So until

There is proof otherwise, I'll believe the OBD source over the agent of the coach.

As far as Polian, Carucci is the closest to him. Whether or not anyone badmouthed polian is tbd and could just be conjecture as an excuse to why he didn't take the job. I have a hard time believing if he really wanted the job, he wouldn't find a way to overcome that. Why would he even care? He could get the guy whacked once he was here.

I don't think that Polian leaked the bit about OBD badmouthing him. Why would he? HIs whole affect was "Gracious professional".

I don't think Pegula did either - even if he's wanting change, why would he want to make his organization look bad in any way?

I think Doug's agent or someone close to Doug leaked it in an attempt to make the Bills organization look as dysfunctional and hapless as possible to justify Doug bailing. I think he wanted the Bills to look like the "dumpster fire" some chicken littles here called us in the first few days.

And I think it backfired on Doug badly, because it ticked off "deep throat" in the Bills who rang up Mehta and said "hey bub, that HC you're interviewing, want some gouge on him?" Then the "code of silence" was broken and others like the Assistant HC from 'Cuse had their say.

schefter, seemingly, had both accounts covered pretty explicitly when he discussed it on air the first i ever saw it reported - did it change at some point?