Through the looking glass-Roster moves in hindsight

It's likely Marrone had a power play in mind at some point during the season. In light of that, what do you think he would have done differently had he been an actual coach looking to develop young talent for the future? Specifically I'm thinking about:

1- Healthy scratches for Goodwin, Koundijo, Bryce Brown and Wiliams

2- Stubbornly refusing to try Koundijo at G

3- Not playing EJ in a meaningless finale to see if he had progressed

The idea with this thread is not to bash Marrone yet again, it's to see if you guys think the above players actually have more talent than indicated by the coach's lack of confidence in them. What do you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's likely Marrone had a power play in mind at some point during the season. In light of that, what do you think he would have done differently had he been an actual coach looking to develop young talent for the future? Specifically I'm thinking about:

The idea with this thread is not to bash Marrone yet again, it's to see if you guys think the above players actually have more talent than indicated by the coach's lack of confidence in them. What do you think?

In retrospect, it seems likely that none of the recent acquisitions/draft picks were "Marrone guys." So opt-out clause or not, this was a train wreck waiting to happen. To me the most inexplicable one was Bryce Brown, not Mike Williams. When Spiller went down I fully expected Brown to get lots of work. In fact, Brown looked pretty good, particularly on the catch and run plays. But Marrone continued to use him sparingly.

Hello! You play to win the game. That requires your best players.

Marrone and Whaley by virtue of the Watkins trade were all in for the playoffs in 2014. To their credit they were in the race until the last game of the season and Marrone was adamant about playing guys that gave him "the best chance to win." We heard it over and over. I have no doubt about it. The fact that Marrone left (power struggle or not) tells me EJ Manuel has not progressed and the Bills have no viable option at QB. Let's face it, If he was signed as a free agent and not a 1st round pick he's probably have been cut long ago. Nothing really to be learned by playing scrubs against the Patriots back-ups. I for one am glad the losing streak in Gillette Stadium mercifully ended. That place has been a graveyard for the Bills the past decade.

In retrospect it kind of does appear coach Marrone made a point of under using the players Doug Whaley aquired for him in the off season. I could never understand why with our struggles in the red zone Mike Williams a proven red zone target was never given a chance to perform in that capacity. Bryce Brown looked very good in the preseason and seemed to make plays when given the opportunity in the regular season, was also used very sparingly at best. Not to mention there were several games where Sammy Watkins was rarely targeted, he was supposed to be our best offensive player and they did very little to get the ball into his hands some games. Now that it comes out Marrone coached the entire season knowing he could or was going to walk and that he had a problem Doug Whaley it does appear he made a point of not using the play makers Whaley provided in the off season. Bryce Brown and Mike Williams throughout the season couldn't seem to understand why they weren't given much of a chance. Now that it's coming out that Marrone is a little thin skinned and has a bit of an ego it's not entirely out of the question that he purposely refused to use players Whaley traded draft picks to obtain. I sincerely hope that the teams that are in a rush to interview him for a head coaching position are taking a closer look at how he used some of the talent he was provided this past season.

In retrospect it kind of does appear coach Marrone made a point of under using the players Doug Whaley aquired for him in the off season. I could never understand why with our struggles in the red zone Mike Williams a proven red zone target was never given a chance to perform in that capacity. Bryce Brown looked very good in the preseason and seemed to make plays when given the opportunity in the regular season, was also used very sparingly at best. Not to mention there were several games where Sammy Watkins was rarely targeted, he was supposed to be our best offensive player and they did very little to get the ball into his hands some games. Now that it comes out Marrone coached the entire season knowing he could or was going to walk and that he had a problem Doug Whaley it does appear he made a point of not using the play makers Whaley provided in the off season. Bryce Brown and Mike Williams throughout the season couldn't seem to understand why they weren't given much of a chance. Now that it's coming out that Marrone is a little thin skinned and has a bit of an ego it's not entirely out of the question that he purposely refused to use players Whaley traded draft picks to obtain. I sincerely hope that the teams that are in a rush to interview him for a head coaching position are taking a closer look at how he used some of the talent he was provided this past season.

Yeah, Bryce looked great fumbling away that touchdown when the Bills were dominating the Chiefs.

I get your point and it is a valid one, but don't use Bryce Brown as an excuse against Marrone. Bryce should be gone because of his proven history of fumbling, not just with the Bills but with his last team too.

One thing I liked.

The team picked up useful players through the season.

November was especially productive.

Gray, Thigpen and Rambo to name a few.

Who do you think is responsible for there pick ups??

Shhhhhhh the Whaley haters will burn you at the stake you heretic!!! Live in the shadows!

Bryce should be gone because of his proven history of fumbling, not just with the Bills but with his last team too.

Dude, he fumbled the ball once this season on what was a really great play by the KC defender, really. So he should be condemned for his history of fumbling?

I thought Brown looked pretty darn good this season. Especially in the receiving game.

Hello! You play to win the game. That requires your best players.

Marrone and Whaley by virtue of the Watkins trade were all in for the playoffs in 2014. To their credit they were in the race until the last game of the season and Marrone was adamant about playing guys that gave him "the best chance to win." We heard it over and over. I have no doubt about it. The fact that Marrone left (power struggle or not) tells me EJ Manuel has not progressed and the Bills have no viable option at QB. Let's face it, If he was signed as a free agent and not a 1st round pick he's probably have been cut long ago. Nothing really to be learned by playing scrubs against the Patriots back-ups. I for one am glad the losing streak in Gillette Stadium mercifully ended. That place has been a graveyard for the Bills the past decade.

Thank you for signing in and contributing to the board, Mrs. Marrone! Best of luck to you and your husband on your next stop.

Yeah, Bryce looked great fumbling away that touchdown when the Bills were dominating the Chiefs.

I get your point and it is a valid one, but don't use Bryce Brown as an excuse against Marrone. Bryce should be gone because of his proven history of fumbling, not just with the Bills but with his last team too.

Brown has had only 1 fumble in the past 2 seasons (111 carries). He had 5 the season before that (2012) on 115 carries. Therefore Brown's fumble rate has decreased significantly.

Spiller had 7 fumbles the past 2 seasons (only 280 carries). Spiller has had 17 carreer fumbles. His rate went up significantly this year.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Brown a player and will most likely be the "feature back" (with Fred and boobie obviously getting work - depending on what offense we are running) next season....and was also a major factor in Whaley trading for him....knowing Fred is old and always dinged up, CJ walking....made total sense

brown has great size and speed combo to be the lead dog, until fumbles continue to be a problem in the offseason/preseason/season next year...I don't see how he's not the bills feature back (unless we use an early pick on a RB which I don't believe we will)

The fact that Marrone left (power struggle or not) tells me EJ Manuel has not progressed and the Bills have no viable option at QB.

Marrone and his staff have some culpability in this. It was their job to help Manuel (and Orton) progress. They got worse as they played in this "system." And so did many other players with a history of better production. Coaches have to be there to help players adjust. Not to coddle them, not to curse them out. When you coach all of the instinct and feel for the game out of your players and then put them in front of a line that you're endlessly tinkering with, what do you expect?

St. Doug had a foot out the door.

Brown didn't play because Brown can't block. CJ Spiller has the same problem. RB's need to be able to block in the NFL to get on the field (unless they truly are a feature back). As for Marrone, he played to win and put his best people out there. I do not appreciate how he unceremoniously left, but I do believe he put the best players on the field to win the game. The reality is that if he wanted to make this power play and thought it was going to work (even if only a small percentage), he wouldn't sabotage his own future.

1. They weren't needed. They are all backups

2. How do we know he didn't practice there?

3. Marrone made it clear they wanted to win and Orton was there best chance. This isn't a "tryout" league. You do play to win I hope.

I see no conspiracy here.

I don't see a conspiracy...just a guy who has a certain type of player he likes and an overly conservative mindset. If he doesn't like a guy he doesn't play him -- period. It's very old school, and works to a certain extent, but it's not innovative or aggressive.

Marrone is clearly not the brightest bulb in the shed for the way in which he has submarined his own coaching opportunities, but I do believe HE thought he was playing the best players at the time.

Brown has had only 1 fumble in the past 2 seasons (111 carries). He had 5 the season before that (2012) on 115 carries. Therefore Brown's fumble rate has decreased significantly.

Spiller had 7 fumbles the past 2 seasons (only 280 carries). Spiller has had 17 carreer fumbles. His rate went up significantly this year.

Facts! Thanks for this.