Better add Andy Dalton to list of possible Quarterbacks

HOUSE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you want. I think with Dalton we make it to the playoffs. But I think he is very limited, and I don't really think you can win it all with Dalton unless your defense is even better than ours. The object is to win it all. So I wouldn't go after him. But I think we make the playoffs with him. He's pretty good, just limited.

Dalton > KO, but not good enough to win games on his own.

Agreed. And for all the $$$ he is making, he only had 19TD/17INT in 16 games played. Pretty pedestrian stats. Even Orton had 18TD/10INT in 12 games.

It depends on what you want. I think with Dalton we make it to the playoffs. But I think he is very limited, and I don't really think you can win it all with Dalton unless your defense is even better than ours. The object is to win it all. So I wouldn't go after him. But I think we make the playoffs with him. He's pretty good, just limited.

There is no doubt that Dalton is a limited qb. But most qbs except for the elite qbs are limited. As you stated with him as our qb this year this team makes it to the playoffs. What's wrong with that? It would be a step forward for the franchise.

No one is arguing that the object is to win it all. But taking a step forward with a competent qb, albeit limited, is better than not having a chance to at least make the playoffs. Waiting for the chance to select a premier prospect is a futile approach to take especially for a team that is a middle of the pack team. Premier qb prospects are selected at the top of the draft. As it stands the Bills are not in that putrid category. They are simply mediocre, not wretched.

As it stands the Bills have an outstanding defense and an exciting receiver in Watkins whose talents are being squandered. Now is the time to acquire a franchise qb with limitations who will at the minimum allow your franchise to move up the ranks.

Adding a Dalton type prospect doesn't necessarily mean that you still can't continue your search for an upper echelon prospect. What will damage this franchise's credibility with free agent players and attractive coaches and front office staff is a franchise that for more than a generation and still counting remains on the sidelines when the playoffs start.

There is a saying: Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. Get better where you can at all positions and move forward. That is better than the status quo and better than regressing. If Dalton is on the market and can be acquired for a reasonable price that would be an opportunity I would seize.

Yesterday's game looked like a repeat of last years playoff game...game was close in first half, then both sides of the ball sucked in 2nd half...almost the same score too...

Dalton has also never thrown a single pass with a lead in those playoff games

Isnt he as responsible for that as anyone? All those games have been close games for at least the 1st half where a Bengals TD would have given them the lead...

There is no doubt that Dalton is a limited qb. But most qbs except for the elite qbs are limited. As you stated with him as our qb this year this team makes it to the playoffs. What's wrong with that? It would be a step forward for the franchise.

No one is arguing that the object is to win it all. But taking a step forward with a competent qb, albeit limited, is better than not having a chance to at least make the playoffs. Waiting for the chance to select a premier prospect is a futile approach to take especially for a team that is a middle of the pack team. Premier qb prospects are selected at the top of the draft. As it stands the Bills are not in that putrid category. They are simply mediocre, not wretched.

As it stands the Bills have an outstanding defense and an exciting receiver in Watkins whose talents are being squandered. Now is the time to acquire a franchise qb with limitations who will at the minimum allow your franchise to move up the ranks.

Adding a Dalton type prospect doesn't necessarily mean that you still can't continue your search for an upper echelon prospect. What will damage this franchise's credibility with free agent players and attractive coaches and front office staff is a franchise that for more than a generation and still counting remains on the sidelines when the playoffs start.

There is a saying: Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. Get better where you can at all positions and move forward. That is better than the status quo and better than regressing. If Dalton is on the market and can be acquired for a reasonable price that would be an opportunity I would seize.

Because he's a tease. You sign him and you make the playoffs and half the people are satisfied with that. But that's also the problem. You have to play him the next year, and the next year after that. And now the defense is getting old or we can't re-sign superstars and we are stuck with no QB again.

I do, truly, understand both sides. I am just against tease QBs. With Cutler, there is a greater chance of him sucking than Dalton, but to me he has the possibility of putting it all together. I'm not saying I want either of them. But as a theory, I only want the guy with the chance to win it all.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Mallett is a UFA this offseason, right? He is probably the best available option for the Bills to add at this point.

You are correct, and I can always be mistaken, but I think the Texans roll out the checkbook and keep him. It makes sense from both sides

From Mallett POV:

He's a UFA, but he's also with a coach who knew him from NE and in a system that he's had a season to learn

He already beat out Fitz once as starter during the season

He has to figure that his odds of starting again are pretty good w/ the Texans.

From the Texans POV:

He's their only real option to Fitz right now

With a serious injury like a broken leg, comeback is always a question mark

Even if you draft a guy you really like, the path to QB happiness is to have several choices (see: Seahawks Jackson, Flynn, Wilson)

“Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who’s really done well?” the coach wondered. “It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We’ve wondered.”

Yes it sounds extremely idiotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3JzbWVDzac

Edit: I tried to change the quote because it was in an article HOUSE linked, not an actual quote from HOUSE, however I was not successful.

Edited by voodoo poonani

I don't see why bringing in dalton would be a problem to make some compition with EJ. I think a change of scenery does wonders for a player especially a QB who gets thrown to the wolves right away with great pleasure.

Back in 2011, an unnamed coach told Peter King that one of quarterback Andy Dalton’s red flags was his red hair.

“Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who’s really done well?” the coach wondered. “It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We’ve wondered.”

I wish I could say it's surprising that someone this stupid is coaching/has coached in the NFL. Sadly, I can't.