Top ten coaching candidates for the Bills

Nitro

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=447850

This is a good synopsis of the candidates to be the next head coach. I am in the "If Brandon is for it, I am against it." camp. He is endorsing Shanahan who was over his head in Washington. His career was made on the back of John Elway. I would rather the next head coach to be younger with an aggressive offensive philosophy.

Shanahan is an innovative offensive guy. He can get a run game working wth no name backs. He was an early adopter on the whole zone read craze. Just because he's over 40 doesn't mean he's not innovative.

He was, but is he still?

This is a good synopsis of the candidates to be the next head coach. I am in the "If Brandon is for it, I am against it." camp. He is endorsing Shanahan who was over his head in Washington. His career was made on the back of John Elway. I would rather the next head coach to be younger with an aggressive offensive philosophy.

I'm with you on the Brandon & youth points. Seriously get Russ the f### away from these decisions. Although Shannahan to me is actually preferable to most of those guys.

Q1: Do you have any overused words or catch phrases in your vocabulary?

Q2: Do you wear a head set?

Q3: Do you speak in a southern drawl?

Q4: Do you like snow?

Q5: Duff's or Anchor Bar?

Q6: Do you punt on 4th and 1?

Q7: Do you run up the middle on 1st down?

Q8: Do you enjoy being second guessed?

Q9: Are you interesting to radio talk hosts?

Q10: If you're so great why are you still available?

Q1: Do you have any overused words or catch phrases in your vocabulary?

Q2: Do you wear a head set?

Q3: Do you speak in a southern drawl?

Q4: Do you like snow?

Q5: Duff's or Anchor Bar?

Q6: Do you punt on 4th and 1?

Q7: Do you run up the middle on 1st down?

Q8: Do you enjoy being second guessed?

Q9: Are you interesting to radio talk hosts?

Q10: If you're so great why are you still available?

/thread

I'm not a big Shanahan guy, but your take on him is absolute bull ****. He took a Washington team that's dreadfully similar to Buffalo over the course of this century to the playoffs with a rookie QB. And as far as this "back of Elway" bull ****, answer me this: how many SBs did Lord Elway win without Shanahan?

He was, but is he still?

No, he's not. Shanahan hasn't done anything in this league since 2012.

I think Bevell will make the most compelling case to Whaley. He'll sell him on fixing the offense, developing EJ in order to validate the pick and avoid having to trade for a high priced QB and possibly even keeping the defensive coaching staff intact.

Edited by Bangarang

I'm not a big Shanahan guy, but your take on him is absolute bull ****. He took a Washington team that's dreadfully similar to Buffalo over the course of this century to the playoffs with a rookie QB. And as far as this "back of Elway" bull ****, answer me this: how many SBs did Lord Elway win without Shanahan?

Not sure what asking how many SBs Elway won without Shanhan is supposed to show - as it goes the other way as well: Shanahan didn't win any SBs without Elway. Elway led his team to three Super Bowls before Shanahan. While the Broncos lost all three, he still led them there. Shanahan never led a team to the Super Bowl other than when Elway was his QB. Shanahan's post season record with Elway as his QB was 7-1. His post season record without Elway as his QB was 1-5.

While I don't want him now, he was most definitely a good coach. However to diminish or dismiss the importance of Elway in Shanahan's post season success is silly

Not sure what asking how many SBs Elway won without Shanhan is supposed to show - as it goes the other way as well: Shanahan didn't win any SBs without Elway. Elway led his team to three Super Bowls before Shanahan. While the Broncos lost all three, he still led them there. Shanahan never led a team to the Super Bowl other than when Elway was his QB. Shanahan's post season record with Elway as his QB was 7-1. His post season record without Elway as his QB was 1-5.

While I don't want him now, he was most definitely a good coach. However to diminish or dismiss the importance of Elway in Shanahan's post season success is silly

It's pretty obvious, actually. People discount his SBs because he had Elway as if Elway was winning SBs left & right beforehand.

If someone said Elway doesn't deserve credit for those SBs because he had Shanahan I would naturally point out that such an argument is also illogical bull **** because Shanahan hadn't won SBs w/o Elway.

24-40 in Washington. 24-24 last 3 years in Denver. Do the math....7 straight seasons 48-64 record. Absolute Bull? I will not stoop to your level. Fact is time and the game have passed him by.

Shanahan is an innovative offensive guy. He can get a run game working wth no name backs. He was an early adopter on the whole zone read craze. Just because he's over 40 doesn't mean he's not innovative.

Yes, he's so innovative he almost got RGIII killed. When that failed, he held Griffin out of every preseason game the following season but started him in the opener (smart move); and almost got him killed again. Just what we need, the losing "big name coach" created by John Elway.

Shanny had his day but at this point I'd prefer the next generation of someone like him (Bevell, Malzahn). I am not all that sold on Kyle or the package deal in general. If you end up needing to replace one, you need to replace both.

I'm also more content with Whaley, which I imagine is a pretty good litmus test for where people stand on the Shanny arrangement.

Yes, he's so innovative he almost got RGIII killed. When that failed, he held Griffin out of every preseason game the following season but started him in the opener (smart move); and almost got him killed again. Just what we need, the losing "big name coach" created by John Elway.

that's crazy. He had success as a coordinator elsewhere and his running game was too shelf for a long, long time. Also, Jake Plummer and Brian Griese.

Last note on Shanny from Wiki, just because it's amazing:

In 1994 while coaching for the 49ers, Shanahan added to the ongoing feud between him and Raiders owner Al Davis when he had then QB Elvis Grbac throw a football at Davis' head.