Did Marrone Actively Undermine Doug Whaley?

Yoli

First of all, I don't understand the seeming distrust of Whaley. Why did it take so long to promote him to GM and why do people seem surprised that he is heading the coaching search? Isn't that what GM's are supposed to do?

Second, with the exception of Seantrell Henderson and perhaps Boobie DIxon, very few of the "name" acquisitions on offense, presumably made with heavy input from Whaley, have fared well or gone without a period in Marrone's dog house:

EJ Manuel --Draft - perhaps not the best place to start, but is it at all surprising that he tweeted "happy new year!" shortly after Marrone announced he was leaving? Marrone seemed to damn Manuel with faint praise even when (in 2013) Manuel had a good game. DId Manuel's regression have something to do with the climate Marrone created around him?

Robert Woods -- draft - also in Marrone's dog house during training camp

Marquis Goodwin --draft - see NY Daily News article for Marrone's treatment of him

Mike WIlliams - trade - see speculation on this board

Watkins -- draft -- too good to be ignored but under-utilized and not effectively utilized by Marrone

Cyrus Kuondjio -- draft -- struggled but was he truly beyond redemption?

Bryce Brown - trafe - inactive for many games although with the exception of the KC fumble, he didn't look horrible

Thad Lewis -- trade -- regressed badly in second season with Marrone

Yoli. Ill say it again in this post for all Marrones faults ( and they are many) Whaley has not done a good job personnel wise. I think the blame is distributed throughout the org. Brandon, Nix, Whaley picking Marrone as HC, then drafting EJ. Then the weak offseason moves that reek of "Moneyball". Then the stupid trade up.

Yoli. Ill say it again in this post for all Marrones faults ( and they are many) Whaley has not done a good job personnel wise. I think the blame is distributed throughout the org. Brandon, Nix, Whaley picking Marrone as HC, then drafting EJ. Then the weak offseason moves that reek of "Moneyball". Then the stupid trade up.

And the Hugues trade

And Kiko

And Preston Brown and Graham

And Spikes

And Diixon

And Woods

Edited by chris heff

Want a banner for that crusade?

I don't know but I don't blame Whaley for the EJ pick because Nix was still GM then. Plus I don't think that pick worked out like they wanted it to, he wasn't suppose to start right away and was suppose to be a backup to Kolb for a few years. Whalers first draft was this year and I still love what he said about the trade up for Watkins, I don't remember exactly what he said but it was like I don't mind trading a late first round pick for the top receiver meaning he was planning on a playoff run. I think Whaley needs to select the coach so the talent that the team has and Whaley is assembling will be managed the right way. Whaley learned from the steelers ( a power run team with big linemen and big backs, not a light weight screen team like Marrone was trying to do) I mean look at our line and the o-lineman drafted by the bills and Whaley last year big run blockers. I think if we get the right coach in here with this talent we will make a run next year in the playoffs. Power run game with Boobie using FJ as a third down back, which will create some opportunities to get Woods and Sammy the ball in space down field, our defense is set even if we lose Hughes because getting a free agent to fill his spot and excel would be easy because Mario, marcell, and KW would make any average DE look good playing next to them.

Did Marrone know Orton was retiring? Did he play him anyway so EJ couldn't play? Did he only throw to Sammy 4 times and not let him get to 1000? Did he tell Orton not to target him - considering there were times he was open?

Did Doug's best offensive performances over the past 2 seasons come against the Jets because he was auditioning?

Maybe it's all far fetched? Maybe not.

@C_Hairston75: Makes one wonder if we had made the playoffs how would this coaching situation have played out

I think the players are pissed at Marrone.

Not exactly...

Chris Hairston ‏@C_Hairston75 1h1 hour ago

It's fun to be a fan of the game of football, talk bout everything going on n arguing wit friends and other fans about ur team

Chris Hairston @C_Hairston75 56m56 minutes ago

no room 4 feelings in business side of The NFL he did what he believed he needed to do and I wouldn't fault a man for doing that

Edited by Reed83HOF

Not exactly...

Chris Hairston ‏@C_Hairston75 1h1 hour ago

It's fun to be a fan of the game of football, talk bout everything going on n arguing wit friends and other fans about ur team

Chris Hairston ‏@C_Hairston75 56m56 minutes ago

no room 4 feelings in business side of The NFL he did what he believed he needed to do and I wouldn't fault a man for doing that

Someone actually tweeted Hairston and asked him about it directly. That was his answer. He's being politically correct. Could be the way he feels, but not necessarily.

First of all, I don't understand the seeming distrust of Whaley. Why did it take so long to promote him to GM and why do people seem surprised that he is heading the coaching search? Isn't that what GM's are supposed to do?

Second, with the exception of Seantrell Henderson and perhaps Boobie DIxon, very few of the "name" acquisitions on offense, presumably made with heavy input from Whaley, have fared well or gone without a period in Marrone's dog house:

EJ Manuel --Draft - perhaps not the best place to start, but is it at all surprising that he tweeted "happy new year!" shortly after Marrone announced he was leaving? Marrone seemed to damn Manuel with faint praise even when (in 2013) Manuel had a good game. DId Manuel's regression have something to do with the climate Marrone created around him?

Robert Woods -- draft - also in Marrone's dog house during training camp

Marquis Goodwin --draft - see NY Daily News article for Marrone's treatment of him

Mike WIlliams - trade - see speculation on this board

Watkins -- draft -- too good to be ignored but under-utilized and not effectively utilized by Marrone

Cyrus Kuondjio -- draft -- struggled but was he truly beyond redemption?

Bryce Brown - trafe - inactive for many games although with the exception of the KC fumble, he didn't look horrible

Thad Lewis -- trade -- regressed badly in second season with Marrone

I must admit you bring up some good points to ponder but I must say that if there is any truth to this then I wish that Marrone could have been half this smart in his plotting of the game plans because he showed **** for creativity.

Someone actually tweeted Hairston and asked him about it directly. That was his answer. He's being politically correct. Could be the way he feels, but not necessarily.

I just wanted to tell you that I think that you're a great poster and I enjoy reading your posts and responses.

Is this the way the improved board is supposed to look?

No differentiation between the original post and the reply. Or Tipster, we you just drinking too much when replying. Either way should there be a way to prevent this?

Maybe not the right place for this but.....

I must admit you bring up some good points to ponder but I must say that if there is any truth to this then I wish that Marrone could have been half this smart in his plotting of the game plans because he showed **** for creativity.

I just wanted to tell you that I think that you're a great poster and I enjoy reading your posts and responses.

for a guy whose "specialties" were supposed to be O-line and "offensive creativity"

marrone gave us the worst o-line in years with only a lucky pick of seantrel by whaley saving us from disaster. Wood and glenn regressed, urbik got benched due to morrones attitude. Our running game became a joke for 2 years (ypc).

Offense was as bad as ever save some big plays from orton woods and watkins we would have been dead last this year (whaley guys).

what was good at 1bd??? defense. Special teams. and some good free agents, the things morrone had next to nothing to do w, including drafting the players there.

If you want to judge morrones ability, look at his 4rth down logic.... punting on 4rth and 1 in the 40's down by two scores, but then going for it on 4rth and long when within FG range, then going for it on 4rth and long in your own 20's. MORON!

Edited by enlightener

Did Marrone know Orton was retiring? Did he play him anyway so EJ couldn't play? Did he only throw to Sammy 4 times and not let him get to 1000? Did he tell Orton not to target him - considering there were times he was open?

Did Doug's best offensive performances over the past 2 seasons come against the Jets because he was auditioning?

Maybe it's all far fetched? Maybe not.

Interesting points, and IMHO your razor sharp perception here isn't far off target if not dead center all the way.

Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone seems to be a vindictive type, so I wouldn't put it pass him to reel Sammy Watkins in some lest Whaley's pick shines even brighter.

undermine is the wrong way to describe it.

they had different agendas.

Agree. Where it really came into focus for me was when it was announced that Orton was starting the final game. That decision served Marrone's purposes, but not the franchise's.

If I have any beef with Whaley, it's on this point. Why he allowed Marrone to get away with that one is beyond me. As I see it, either Whaley lacked the stones to challenge Marrone on that decision, or was equally desperate for a meaningless win so as to try to lessen the sting of not having the first round pick and make the Watkins trade look less foolish. If either motivation was in play, it raises concerns.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Agree. Where it really came into focus for me was when it was announced that Orton was starting the final game. That decision served Marrone's purposes, but not the franchise's.

If I have any beef with Whaley, it's on this point. Why he allowed Marrone to get away with that one is beyond me. As I see it, either Whaley lacked the stones to challenge Marrone on that decision, or was equally desperate for a meaningless win so as to try to lessen the sting of not having the first round pick. If either motivation was in play, it raises concerns.

Even though on most teams the GM hires the HC and is his boss, Whaley didn't really hire Marrone, Nix did, and the News reported a few days ago (or someone did) that Marrone didn't report to Whaley, he reported to Brandon, and then the Pegulas. Plus, good GMs don't force their coaches to do things. He didn't really have the authority to force Marrone.

Any time a HC doesn't feel the GM has an authority over him the outcome is the present debacle the organization is facing. Brandon is lucky he hasn't been shown the door for bringing in "The Texter" in the first place.

How Ironic that IF Marrone had felt a need to respect Whaley's authority, the Bills--given the outstanding play of this year's defense and ST's unit--could very easily be still preparing for a divisional semi-final playoff game this weekend because Whaley would have impressed upon Marrone "the future is now"...can only imagine how many more times the offense would have lit up the scoreboard with EJ under center throwing to Sammy, Scott C., Mike W., Woods, Hogan, etc.