A serious question, why the faith in Whaley?

I am torn on Whaley like many people. He has done some very nice things. That said he failed miserably to address a bad offensive line last off-season and the line actually got worse. The Chris Williams was criticized by media and fans alike and they proved to be right. We needed a much better upgrade than Williams and Whaley failed on that one.

He also ignored the QB position last off-season and was ready to go into the season with EJ, Lewis and Tuel. I don't care that he signed Orton a week before the season, he should have been more prepared and done more in the off-season. I said going into last off-season that he needed to sign a vet and draft someone. Draft someone so there has been someone in the system for a year already in case EJ fails. If Whaley isn't about to start taking the QB position seriously and draft someone on within the first 3 round every draft until will find a capable long term starter, then he can get the hell out.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone wasn't his guy. Whisenhunt was. Marrone was Nix and Brandon's guy.

Here is why we should keep him.

In his first full season of being a GM, the Bills had problems all over the place. We had serious WR problems, TE, OL, both our RBs had been hurt and CJ in last year, QB, Lb, a little bit at CB, and special teams were a disaster.

Whaley, who had come from the Steelers, had a plan. Stock a deep roster than is a mix of old and new, across the board, that is built to last not just load up for the present. You can't fix everything in one year, there were no QBs in FA worth signing.

He signed Dixon and traded for Brown for RB creating a four headed monster. Dixon was for short yardage and toughness, brown was slasher and security for CJ if he left this year.

He drafted watkins #1 who was a can't miss prospect, traded Stevie who was always hurt and didn't fit the offense Marrone wanted because he freelanced and EJ was going to be throwing the ball to spots. He traded for MWilliams setting up a four headed monster at WR too. A number 1, a possession guy in Woods, a speed demon in Goodwin, and a go up and get it redzone guy in Williams. They all had a role.

He signed Chris Williams which was a shaky pick, and spent his #2, #5 and #7 picks on OL. We can argue if they were busts, if they were projects, if Marrone screwed them up.

We were terrible against the run. He signed the best run stuffer in the league in Spikes, and drafted Preston Brown who played terrific for a #3 especially after kiko went down. He signed Rivers who was beaten out by Brown but a vet backup.

We got killed the year before with Justin Rogers and the 4th cb. He signed Leodis to a contract and he signed Corey Graham to be the #3 as well as had picked up a great slot guy in Robey the year before.

We were terrible on special teams. He signed two pro bowl ST players in Graham and Dixon who immediately changed that dynamic. And he signed the punter, as well as re-signed a FA he picked up last year, Dan Carpenter who is tremendous.

If he didn't draft Sammy he was going to draft a TE number one, but he had already signed Moeaki who unfortunately, predictably got hurt again, but who is now making plays for the Seahawks.

He let Byrd go so he could sign Aaron Williams. Byrd was a huge flame out, williams is solid and a bargain.

He signed branch and Charles. Branch didn't try and got in the Doug house so they cut him. But the DL was solid anyway all year.

Whaley has built a solid team.

All this :)

He also ignored the QB position last off-season and was ready to go into the season with EJ, Lewis and Tuel. I don't care that he signed Orton a week before the season, he should have been more prepared and done more in the off-season. I said going into last off-season that he needed to sign a vet and draft someone. Draft someone so there has been someone in the system for a year already in case EJ fails. If Whaley isn't about to start taking the QB position seriously and draft someone on within the first 3 round every draft until will find a capable long term starter, then he can get the hell out.

I see this a lot but who did you want that was available. The choices were McCown who only wanted to start, and the Buc promised him the job, and Mike Vick. I believe Moore and Cassell were FA who quickly re-signed with their own teams. Orton wasn't available until we signed him.

You do realize Kiko was Nix right? And I grant you preston, hughes, boobie, henderson were good. Watkins was going to be good, but not worth a future first no matter what. Woods was drafted when Nix was GM as well.

As for an agenda, Buffalo finally not being a laughing stock and franchise QB addressed is my main agenda. I asked an honest opinion and its more than worthy of discussion when you look at the track record so far

You do realize you've said Whaley was in on the decision to draft EJ. Funny how that works, he was in on the decision to draft a player that you've clearly had an agenda against but he wasn't in on Woods or Alonso, who were picked in the same draft.

This is comical and sad.

1. Pegulas are brand new owners, just lost the Head Coach in quite unceramonious fashion. They have enough on their plate without having to hire a new GM too.

2. Whaley is not perfect, but hes not as bad as hes made out to seem.

3. Whaley, like EJ, is a Bill. Ill support him because hes what we have.

You do realize Kiko was Nix right? And I grant you preston, hughes, boobie, henderson were good. Watkins was going to be good, but not worth a future first no matter what. Woods was drafted when Nix was GM as well.

As for an agenda, Buffalo finally not being a laughing stock and franchise QB addressed is my main agenda. I asked an honest opinion and its more than worthy of discussion when you look at the track record so far

Good reply, thanks for actually thinking and posting. We will see on this next go around (since it seems Pegula will keep him) how he does. Both guards need upgraded and QB must be addressed.

How can you say that EJ was Whaley's pick but Kiko was Nix's pick? Nix was still in charge and transitioning to Whaley so you're saying that Whaley was in charge of his first pick but not his second pick? I know you don't like EJ, but even that fact aside, you can't without inside knowledge say that one is to blame and one is to credit on the two separate picks when they were both in the room doing the job.

If there is outright proof of what you are saying then sorry but you're pretty much playing both sides to favor your argument.

Edited by The Wiz

How can you say that EJ was Whaley's pick but Kiko was Nix's pick? Nix was still in charge and transitioning to Whaley so you're saying that Whaley was in charge of his first pick but not his second pick? I know you don't like EJ, but even that fact aside, you can't without inside knowledge say that one is to blame and one is to credit on the two separate picks when they were both in the room doing the job.

If there is outright proof of what you are saying then sorry but you're pretty much playing both sides to favor your argument.

You are missing the point, Whaley already picked his player - it was Nix's turn...

I am torn on Whaley like many people. He has done some very nice things. That said he failed miserably to address a bad offensive line last off-season and the line actually got worse. The Chris Williams was criticized by media and fans alike and they proved to be right. We needed a much better upgrade than Williams and Whaley failed on that one.

He drafted 3 OL men. He signed a G as a FA. I blame Marrone for either (a) not properly developing the talent he was given. or (b) as a former OL man, and OL coach, not being able to see that some of these guys were not as advertised. In Doug I trust.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

I think Whaley' s work is still in progress. It is way to soon to judge him, his drafts, or his trades. It does appear to me that he has done more good things, especially with picking up veterans to fill holes.

Whaley is ready to be the man and be judged. Right now he has had more grooming than any GM I can recall the Bills have ever had accept for maybe John Butler. Whaley has had more time to from than Polian, who was an unknown at the time of his hiring.

It's time for Whaley to find a coach he can work with, keep the valuable pieces together, find a QB, and fill as few holes.

Not gonna happen overnight no matter who you bring in.

The O

P loves to rant on about EJ and Whaley's selection of him, but I don't think I've ever heard him say who Whaley, in his two years of control of the club, should have either drafted or gone after in FA. It's almost as is the OP thinks franchise QBs grow on trees and are there for the picking.

Yea his draft picks are horrible. I see you convienantly ignore players thag don't fit your agenda.

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

All players Doug Whaley brought here. And he's added even more loads more of depth. But I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this thread.

+1!

And slamming the Watkins trade is easy enough using hindsight but the Bills finally got a true number one they've lacked since Moulds left...and did so with a combo of picks that likely won't equal what Watkins is longterm. Everyone mentions Odell B as the guy they could've taken but just as likely the Bills would've grabbed Ebron at 9, which everyone at TBW would've likely cheered. Ebron plus whoever the 19th pick is this year won't be anything compared to Sammy.

And the genius of getting Hughes for NOTHING can't be overstated.

Bottom line is even ignoring the Sammy trade, Whaley is pulling out multiple high quality starters from each draft. Not just players who fill holes for the Bills but players who could play for any NFL team. If he keeps that up for another 5 years the Bills could be a perennially SB contender again. Why not give him a shot to do it? What GM have the Bills had the past 13 years before he took over who's done any better?

He drafted 3 OL men. He signed a G as a FA. I blame Marrone for either (a) not properly developing the talent he was given. or (b) as a former OL man, and OL coach, not being able to see that some of these guys were not as advertised. In Doug I trust.

He drafted 3, one is looking like a huge second round bust, Richardson might be a decent backup someday and Henderson was a nice find in the 7th round but far from a solid starter at this point.

He drafted 3, one is looking like a huge second round bust, Richardson might be a decent backup someday and Henderson was a nice find in the 7th round but far from a solid starter at this point.

Our 2nd round pick was viewed by many in the draft as a late 1st round pick.

Again I'll ask the question. Did a guy (with a background as a former O-lineman) fail to develop the talent he was provided or did he not see that he/they were not as reported? If it's the first, then that is not the GMs problem, that's a coaching issue. If it's the second, then many more people than the GM was fooled AND then so too was the coach for not informing his boss that CK was destined to be a bust.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Fisher-Monos-Whaley-a-trio-with-championship-experience/37f6f7e8-f3c2-48de-be3a-f11a3f97772a

"The trio of Whaley, Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos and Director of Pro Personnel Kelvin Fisher – all of whom will enter their first draft at the helm of the Bills operation – combine for a total of five Super Bowls, eight conference championships and 18 division championships in 23 total playoff appearances during their careers as NFL scouts."

But then again, Marrone DID win the Pinstripe Bowl at the 'Cuse...