Head Coach candidate: Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Pegulas talked to Jon Gruden for advice -- he told them to hire Hue...not saying this happened but I think Gruden would have told them that EJ can develop and that Hue would be the best coach to put EJ in situations to succeed.

I think Jon Gruden is a good coach. On MNF it seems he is afraid to say anything but every player is good. To me it sounds like he's afraid to criticize anyone because he's gonna be a HC again at some point. If his opinion is the same it is on MNF I'd trust a blind person above him. If he analyzed like he was gonna be a coach again then I'd believe him.

Gruden is one name that's not been brought up but taking him off MNF and as coach of the Bills is a double win.

I think Jon Gruden is a good coach. On MNF it seems he is afraid to say anything but every player is good. To me it sounds like he's afraid to criticize anyone because he's gonna be a HC again at some point. If his opinion is the same it is on MNF I'd trust a blind person above him. If he analyzed like he was gonna be a coach again then I'd believe him.

Gruden is one name that's not been brought up but taking him off MNF and as coach of the Bills is a double win.

He just extended with ESPN through 2020....I am sure its an easy buy out..but I don't think he commits for that long without wanting to stay.

Mike Silver from NFLN is good friends with Hue and tweeted he heard everything went well and that he would be a good fit with Bills /EJ. When asked if he thought he would keep Schwartz, he said he thought almost anyone would want to keep Schwartz.

Keeping Schwartz is wise.

Underwhelming but at this point I can be talked into anyone. John Harbaugh was a special teams and DB coach and never an NFL coordinator so who knows. In fact he was never a head coach. So there isn't a blueprint... Other than finding a QB.

Its definitely not an inspiring hire on the surface Max. I agree with you there.

I do feel better about this coaching search than any of the others the Bills have conducted the past 11 years. To rationalize how Hue could succeed, I keep thinking back that if Donahoe would have convinced Marvin Lewis to come to Buffalo -- the last decade plus would have looked very different. Hue is Marvin Lewis of the offensive side -- intense, motivating, brash, a large ego, arrogant -- but he builds players up rather than tearing them down. He is creative. When he and Gruden shared an office at the University of the Pacific 20 years ago -- they would drive each other crazy coming up with new ways to out scheme a defense...

Sounds good to me. If they go anywhere else, an overrated Shanahan would be totally deflating.

Whether it's Hue Jackson or someone else tapped to be at the helm, hopefully he comes in realizing he is coaching a 53 man squad, not a sole position. Anyone coming in needs to know this upfront, that the total team concept is more important than who is under center. If anyone is timid of coaching here due to the QB situation he isn't worth the effort or time to pursue. Great coaches find a way to win in spite of who is under center.

Really good point... The plot thickens!

There will be new faces on the offensive staff -- Look for Rochester Native Paul Alexander to come with Hue to coach the OL (a huge upgrade) -- 20 years experience...

He's probably my first choice for HC. As I said in the other Hue thread, he isn't a "hot name" so he doesn't jump off the page but I think he checks all the boxes for this particular team.

I would be interested to see who he would bring on for OC. That would be a critical hire.

Agreed. He actually has a very impressive resume of working in different offensive systems and with different offensive personnel over the years. I also think that there would be a good chance that Whaley could make a deal for Mike Glennon. Jackson worked with Flacco his first couple of years in the NFL and I think Glennon has similar qualities.

Edited by billsfan1959

EJ has some Jason Campbell similarities - big projectable guy, picked too early in the draft, suffered under the weight of high expectations.

Campbell played his best football in 2010-11 when Hue was his OC and then HC. His completion percentage and YPA during that stretch were actually excellent, particularly compared with the rest of his career.

I also think that there would be a good chance that Whaley could make a deal for Mike Glennon.

You got me thinking about trading EJ for Glennon, straight up. Does anyone know Glennon's contract status?

This would be completely deflating...ugh

He is nothing more than a journeyman coach. There isn't a single thing about him or his resume that impresses me.

Then you know nothing about his resume. Every time he has been a position coach, he has developed stud players, every offence he has coordinated has improved greatly from the year before, and his only coaching stint with Oakland was a horrendous situation where he lost his starting qb, and the rb that was having an mvp season and still had the team playing for the playoffs in the last game. Read the article on his head coaching r candidate thread that was from when he was recently fired from Oakland, the read his Wikipedia article.

Also.... And mind you I have never complained about this before, but why is this not being discussed in the "HC candidate:hue Jackson thread?"

Almost makes me want to say "In" but i won't cause I'm not a douche. At least not today.

You got me thinking about trading EJ for Glennon, straight up. Does anyone know Glennon's contract status?

Tampa has to be taking Winston or Mariotta in the draft and they already have McCown. Glennon is still under contract; however, he grades out much higher than any other QB that we could "reasonably" acquire through trade or free agency. If there is a way to do it, I think he would be a terrific acquisition.