Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

those are several points worth considering before Buffalo even thinks seriously about Shanahan. I am hoping that Shanahan's interview is for PR purposes only to show that 'we will interview proven coaches as well as up-and-comers'.

Last year, I was ready to whip Shanahan when he continued to let an obviously hobbled RG III continue playing. Can never forgive him for that. Besides the fact that he has had little success post-Elway.

Maybe he was told to keep playing RGIII?

Besides, a previously proven coach with an awfull stint behind him in DC has something to proof, lead Buffalo to the Superbowl and he'll secure his HOF.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Mike over any of the long list of cordinators (we have tried and have failed each time going this route).He won Super Bowls with a strong running game and older John Elway who was not in the prime years of his career.So the guy

has something to boast about (unlike our last .500 loser coach).Please no cordinators who come here for on the job

training.

I have to think Shanahan is the front runner at this point. Russ loves him and I'm sure Pegula loves him (big name notoriety/championship background). I wouldn't be surprised to see some more rumblings about this in the coming days.

It's funny that he turned us down last time for an interview now all of a sudden he will grace us with his presence?

How nice of him

CBF

hey man, he even interviewed with the Raiders :w00t:

Al Davis fired him, and then refused to pay him the rest of his contract. Shanny took him to court and lost. Shanahan hated Davis so much he used to tell his back up QB's warming up for a game to throw the football at Davis's head.

Looking at the Bills current situation with no QB, and no first round pick to draft a QB then Buffalo might be the least appealing situation for a new HCing hire. Shanahan makes perfect sense to me. I'll be surprised if the 49ers pass on him considering what he did for RG3.

Peter King's on board with Shanny (from today's MMQB):

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-los-angeles-rams-wild-card-weekend/8/

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what Id do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and its time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.

Peter King nails this one. Shanny has the stature that would allow Schwartz to stay on as DC without destroying his pride. And I like the total offense reboot King suggests. Let's face facts: when an offense is as bad as ours was this year, there's no such thing as a "core to build around" or an untouchable player. Check what's happened to excellent defenses in recent NFL history -- they have about a 2-3 year run in them before age, free agency, injuries, and other factors bring an inevitable decline. We have the D right now, we might not after letting a young QB (and a young coach) develop for a couple years. The future is now! Go grab it.

Peter King nails this one. Shanny has the stature that would allow Schwartz to stay on as DC without destroying his pride. And I like the total offense reboot King suggests. Let's face facts: when an offense is as bad as ours was this year, there's no such thing as a "core to build around" or an untouchable player. Check what's happened to excellent defenses in recent NFL history -- they have about a 2-3 year run in them before age, free agency, injuries, and other factors bring an inevitable decline. We have the D right now, we might not after letting a young QB (and a young coach) develop for a couple years. The future is now! Go grab it.

This. Would stay solid on Defense and improve on offense.

Zone scheme for O-line would also be nice

Peter King's take on Shanahan:

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.

Peter King's take on Shanahan:

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.

This makes perfect sense to me in hiring Mike Shanahan as HC, and then letting him hire his son as OC. Current GM Doug Whaley has shown an inability to determine top offensive talent and ole Mike excels at just that. Mike will probably want some control over player personnel, and the Bills could give him that for the offense. It was his really bad defenses that did him in at Denver. Plus his choices for DC's weren't very good in Denver or Washington either, as Jim Haslett never did field a top defense his entire time in DC.

Geez, with an even somewhat decent offense in the top 15 I could see this team contending for the division this year.

those are several points worth considering before Buffalo even thinks seriously about Shanahan. I am hoping that Shanahan's interview is for PR purposes only to show that 'we will interview proven coaches as well as up-and-comers'.

Last year, I was ready to whip Shanahan when he continued to let an obviously hobbled RG III continue playing. Can never forgive him for that. Besides the fact that he has had little success post-Elway.

I've read that it was more of the owner's decision to continue to play an injured RGIII and not necessarily Shanahan's.

When I first read the headline from PFT that, "Raiders Brought Madden In For Shanahan Interview" I thought to myself, "WTF?! Shanahan plays Madden?!"

The Raiders wanted to find out whether the "game has passed him by."

I will never get over Shenanigans putting RG3 back in after that horrid injury. i dont care what the Doctor or RG3 said. that was disgusting.

nope.

It is quite posible that Snyder directly ordered him to do so(or applied great pressure). Either way it is a black mark against Shanahan to be sure.

It is quite posible that Snyder directly ordered him to do so(or applied great pressure). Either way it is a black mark against Shanahan to be sure.

I of course dont know. But watching the game and the first hit on that knee still freaks me out.