Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

Haslett is a moron. I can't believe people still worship him around here - he's a terrible coach.

Thank you. If Haslett even gets a sniff at any coaching position in Buffalo I would be terribly disappointed.

I'm warming to the concept of Shanahan as HC, with Schwartz promoted to asst. HC and given a raise. I don't want Whaley pushed out, though -- I think Doug is good for the Bills in the long run.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we want to keep Schwartz on board as DC with his ego intact, the only logical choice would be Shanahan. Any of the other candidates might make Schwartz butt hurt and understandably so. I'd be down with MS as HC and making a play for Cutler as QB.

Now here's the $1,000 question: if we hire MS as HC, who's known for his run blocking schemes, do we resign Spiller?

If we want to keep Schwartz on board as DC with his ego intact, the only logical choice would be Shanahan. Any of the other candidates might make Schwartz butt hurt and understandably so. I'd be down with MS as HC and making a play for Cutler as QB.

Now here's the $1,000 question: if we hire MS as HC, who's known for his run blocking schemes, do we resign Spiller?

I've come to the conclusion that this team should not pick a celebrity head coach like Mike Shanahan. I think that young players would resent having a head coach whose a very famous NFL persona yet doesn't have any results from the recent modern era. They could care less about 1998.

I think today's young players are about what's cool what's hip what's fun and what's trending. While Pete Carroll and him are about the same age, Pete Carroll is still hip and acts young. He talks and sounds like a person in their 20s. Carroll is the exception IMO.

The Bills really should hire young, up and coming coordinator like Dan Quinn, Hamilton, Reich (not that young but he seems much younger than Shanahan) or Bevell. This team needs a head coach that they will go on a long playoff ride with for about 10 years and that's not celebrity head coach Mike Shanahan.

I've come to the conclusion that this team should not pick a celebrity head coach like Mike Shanahan. I think that young players would resent having a head coach whose a very famous NFL persona yet doesn't have any results from the recent modern era. They could care less about 1998.

I think today's young players are about what's cool what's hip what's fun and what's trending. While Pete Carroll and him are about the same age, Pete Carroll is still hip and acts young. He talks and sounds like a person in their 20s. Carroll is the exception IMO.

The Bills really should hire young, up and coming coordinator like Dan Quinn, Hamilton, Reich (not that young but he seems much younger than Shanahan) or Bevell. This team needs a head coach that they will go on a long playoff ride with for about 10 years and that's not celebrity head coach Mike Shanahan.

Are you seriously suggesting that NFL players will only respond to a person who is somewhat similar to themselves? That just seems so strange coming from a Bills fan, considering we had the cerebral Marv Levy as our most esteemed coach.

And what has Shanahan done lately?

2013: Top 10 offense, top 5 rushing offense.

2012: 1st in division, top 5 offense, #1 rushing offense, probowl rookie QB

And btw.....his last season in Denver was only 8 years ago(2008)....#2 offense, #3 passing offense, #12 rushing offense.....and a probowl for Cutler.

Yes, I think those ADD twitter loving youngsters know that they have a great D and a very good ST.....and they would be likely extremely happy to have someone who can actually get production from the offense as well.

Well, he would solve the whole HC vs GM politics, because he would be both. Plus you get his son Kyle, who did a good job with RGIII. You may lose Schwartz, but maybe not. If you lose Schwatz, you get Haslett, who was good in DC until everyone got hurt on defense. Very aggressive DC.

I am in DC, and that team had it going before RGIII tore up the knee, then came back too soon, then their entire O Line fell apart. And having seen a lot of both guys, EJ is probably at least as capable as RGIII. Shanahans would be expensive,but hopefully that is no longer an issue. Go Pegs. You already blew $1B four, whats another 10 mil per year.

why would Shanahan be both? He has shown zero ability in player personel so this would be a huge mistake in giving any control with drafting or signing players. Why do you think they would get his son Kyle as well when he finally got out from under his dads shadow and is now the OC in Cleveland? Why would they lose Schwartz when he is under contract? As long as Shanahan or any other coach wants to keep him Schwartz will be here since he is under contract.

When Shanahan walks into the first meeting and taps his TWO Super Bowl rings on the podium he will have all the players (be they young or old) attention and buy in. I think most of the players, be they young or old, remember TWO years ago when Shanahan had the RGIII led Washington on a roll.

This old coach vs young coach thing is made way too much of around here. Good old coaches can coach and good young coaches can too. Find a good one regardless of age.

Belichek on Shanahan:

“I’ve always had tremendous respect for Mike and what he’s done on the offensive side of the ball as a coordinator and his accomplishments as a head coach,” Belichick said. “I always felt like his teams were amongst the hardest to prepare for and to handle their game plans.”

Winning fixes everything. Just Win baby.

I have concerns about Shanahan, but they aren't concerns that the players would think he's a dinosaur. If he's a personable dinosaur the players will relate to him. Remember the players relating to Chan Gailey? Stevie dressing like him for halloween? Explaining sagging to the youngstas? Hysterical, but respectful in a strange way.

I'm concerned that Shanahan thinks he deserves nothing less than total control over the football roster - a dual role as VP, football operations and HC. I don't feel the team in Washington justifies that for him and I think it's something a guy has to be Uber-uber strong to sustain. Just HC of a successful team is enough to work a guy to death

I'm also concerned that he's of an age that will make it hard to implement and sustain the sort of work week that an NFL HC must put in in order to bring a successful game plan to the players along with several strings of potential adjustments. I would like to know how bad does he want it still, and what are the Bills to him?

I think it's interesting that the 49ers, who were very quick to interview Shanahan, are now interviewing his son.

Belichek on Shanahan:

“I’ve always had tremendous respect for Mike and what he’s done on the offensive side of the ball as a coordinator and his accomplishments as a head coach,” Belichick said. “I always felt like his teams were amongst the hardest to prepare for and to handle their game plans.”

Belicheck has a professional policy of saying good things about his opponent. Scheduled with an opponent for whom he has actually no respect, he will face the media with a straight face and pontificate about how they're a very good team and so and so is a very dangerous player and they have a hard week of preparation ahead of them.

And what has Shanahan done lately?

2013: Top 10 offense, top 5 rushing offense.

2012: 1st in division, top 5 offense, #1 rushing offense, probowl rookie QB

ll.

And what did he do in 2014? Is his team progressing, or regressing?

He's picking the players - how's the defense? How's the OL?

When Shanahan walks into the first meeting and taps his TWO Super Bowl rings on the podium he will have all the players (be they young or old) attention and buy in. I think most of the players, be they young or old, remember TWO years ago when Shanahan had the RGIII led Washington on a roll.

This old coach vs young coach thing is made way too much of around here. Good old coaches can coach and good young coaches can too. Find a good one regardless of age.

Will I hate the decision to go with Shanahan? No, I will buy into what you are saying here. But I just think that being a head coach is such a grueling and demanding job that when you've been through a very long career already with all the battle scars like Shanahan has, I'm not sure that the drive and passion would be the same as it would with a young coordinator like Quinn, Reich or Hamilton.

I think there's a reason why no NFL head coach has ever won a Superbowl with two different teams. The NFL is all about heart, drive and passion and I think that when a head coach wins a Superbowl or two with a team, that the heart and drive are never the same as it is with the old team. I think Shanahan would get us to the playoffs, but I think a first ever head coach or perhaps even Schwartz would get the Bills a Superbowl win.

Edited by 1billsfan

Shanahan turned down the Buffalo job once already, and it can't be very appealing considering the team has no #1 pick and no veteran QB.

I could see him turning down Buffalo if he has multiple offers. For example, he could choose the 49ers over us. But if the Bills are the only team to offer, I have a tough time believing he would pass given his age, the Bills' current ownership and already built defense (so he can concentrate on his specialty).

And what did he do in 2014? Is his team progressing, or regressing?

He's picking the players - how's the defense? How's the OL?

He didn't have a job in 2014......and his old team regressed without him, particularly the offense and running game.

I personally don't care about his defensive abilities if he comes here and allows Schwartz to run the D.

And regarding the OL......he has always seemed to accomplish better production from the OL than the actual talent might warrant.

(And I have a sneaking suspicion that we have been getting less production from our OL than their actual talents warrant anyway.)

Edited by Dibs

Belichek on Shanahan:

Broken record when you ask Belicheat about other coaches.

Peter King's on board with Shanny (from today's MMQB):

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-los-angeles-rams-wild-card-weekend/8/

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.

Peter King's on board with Shanny (from today's MMQB):

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-los-angeles-rams-wild-card-weekend/8/

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.[/size]

Individually, I don't have interest in either Shanahan or Cutler, but if the idea is to get the Bills into position to win while they have the defense in place, I don't see another option. A HC who has "been there, done that", likely the only talented QB (even given all of his issues) on the market, and a DC who can build on and maintain consistency. Sign our own important FA and go all out in the draft/FA to fix the o-line, and this is a playoff team.

If not, it's all back to the drawing board. It may (and in my mind it's likely) be the better long term move to get a younger coach and rebuild again (with Pegula's money and a new front office), but honestly I'm just sick of it. Get this team to the F'N playoffs already.