Head Coach Candidate: Gus Malzahn

Yes I get all of that. Which is why I like Bevell. These guys all share their ideas/concepts.

The 2012 Skins ran it very well. But the oline went to heck in a hand basket and RGIII got hurt----which is why I'd hate to have it as the feature of my O bc you have to hope your running QB stays on the field. Which Wilson has. Plus he does not turn the ball over.

No need to go combing through college to do this

Bevel's good at coordinating the whole ball of wax for Seattle.. and if you like him, you should like the innovative concepts he's having success with - including a nice dose of r/o, and hanging the pass option off it - which Carroll got from Auburn.

I don't see them much, but i think the r/o and pop are just tools in the toolbox. I think their offensive success is all about Cable's zone blocking schemes, and getting Lynch to buy into becoming the one-cut back they needed. All that lateral movement takes defenders away from some of the other things they do, without Lynch.

I agree with you about 'featuring' the r/o in the pros.. but if you're old enough - you might remember when Landry's Cowboys were the poster boys for innovation.

Edit. By the way.. I don't want Malzahn as HC.. but I want his attention to detail at the OC spot.

Edited by BackInDaDay

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of regulation, here are my thoughts on the game so far.

Gus has done a great job of running the offense,

Marshall is a nice QB.

Gordon is amazing.

While Gus did a good job with the O, he is being thoroughly outcoached by Alverez- a guy who hasn't been a HC since 2005 (with I think another 1-game stint a couple years ago).

The Auburn D played horribly uninspired defense. This makes me even more concerned when Gus' name is mentioned as NFL HC material. (Though I think my other objections are more important).The were abused by a team with a one-dimensional offense and a nobody at QB.

Gotta love fat FG kickers

At the end of regulation, here are my thoughts on the game so far.

Gus has done a great job of running the offense,

Marshall is a nice QB.

Gordon is amazing.

While Gus did a good job with the O, he is being thoroughly outcoached by Alverez- a guy who hasn't been a HC since 2005 (with I think another 1-game stint a couple years ago).

The Auburn D played horribly uninspired defense. This makes me even more concerned when Gus' name is mentioned as NFL HC material. (Though I think my other objections are more important).The were abused by a team with a one-dimensional offense and a nobody at QB.

Gotta love fat FG kickers

With regards to the defense, thats where you can count on Scwartz.

With regards to the defense, thats where you can count on Scwartz.

Would you stay at DC if they brought in a HC with Zero HC experience? What happens when Schwarts disagrees with Gus? Has Gus ever had someone with more experience (at a high level) under him? I think these are huge considerations. I dont think you gamble with inexperience, when you are at the current state of the Bills. Maybe if they were in total rebulid mode. BTW, I feel similarly about Reich. At least he has NFL experience and has coached highly paid players, and should have a good NFL coaching network. But hiring either would be setting either up to fail, and taking a bigger than reasonable risk for a team at the precipice.

Get me a head man that understands how to hire good assistants, works well with his GM (I don't mean agree with him on everything, but understands how to work with people), can evaluate talent and what fits the system--and get players to buy into it. And understands you build from the TRENCHES first. This is timeless in the NFL.

I've just about had it with all this crap about innovative and cutting edge.

sounds like Cower to me. Here is a name that is not put out there: Todd Haley, Steelers OC.

Watching this FSU - Oregon game is why I want Malzahn. Watch the way that the defensive players have their hands on their hips and the way that the offense uses tempo to put the defense at a disadvantage. It's not just a doing what you do well but forcing your opponents into tough situations. That's what Malzahn does as well as anyone IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Watching this FSU - Oregon game is why I want Malzahn. Wat h the way that the defensive player have their hands on their hips and the way that the offense uses tempo to put the defense at a disadvantage. It's not just a doing what you do well but forcing your opponents into tough situations. That's what Malzahn does as well as anyone IMO.

People here were pleasantly surprised with EJ early in 2013 and it was the up-tempo attack that Hackett was running that made Manuel/Tuel/Thad look semi-comfortable. Even with predictable and poor playcalling.

Now bring in someone like Malzahn who can actually coordinate such an offense.....and you get Chip Kelly like results.

Kelly's results aren't truly appreciated because he has a terrible defense. 31st against the pass.

Collegiate coaches learned that an attacking up-tempo offense could negate a lot of talent deficiencies years ago. I know it doesn't translate as easily into the NFL. But it DOES translate and there aren't talent discrepencies as large as they are from program to program in the NCAA.

like his schematics, but that up tempo stuff doesn't impress me at the pro level.. yeah, you're keeping the same 11 defenders on the field, but you're keeping you're same unit on, too.. and if the 11 defenders match up well enough and have a good idea of you're gameplan - see the Seahawks and Eagles last game - all you'll do is get off the field quicker. plus, you're trainer's gonna be working overtime to keep you're older, 'bigger' linemen in the game. bottom line, it creates stress on the O, as well as the D.

like his schematics, but that up tempo stuff doesn't impress me at the pro level.. yeah, you're keeping the same 11 defenders on the field, but you're keeping you're same unit on, too.. and if the 11 defenders match up well enough and have a good idea of you're gameplan - see the Seahawks and Eagles last game - all you'll do is get off the field quicker. plus, you're trainer's gonna be working overtime to keep you're older, 'bigger' linemen in the game. bottom line, it creates stress on the O, as well as the D.

Indeed. Chip Kelly, who when he came to the NFL had far more college HC experience than Gus, is learning that. And I'm not 100% sold on him as a HC yet. I will give him credit for what he has done, though.

Many creative NFL OCs have tried, and most have failed, at the HC level. Why is everyone convinced this guy is a sure thing? Really don't get it.

Indeed. Chip Kelly, who when he came to the NFL had far more college HC experience than Gus, is learning that. And I'm not 100% sold on him as a HC yet. I will give him credit for what he has done, though.

Many creative NFL OCs have tried, and most have failed, at the HC level. Why is everyone convinced this guy is a sure thing? Really don't get it.

Well said.

I can only speak for myself but I guess that what I will say is that I don't think that there are 5 people in the world that have a better grasp of offense than him. A lot of guys try to do what they do best. What Malzahn does is what his team does best and what his opponent does worst. He puts people in tough situations. He has won everywhere. He's a little older (which I am saying is a positive). His offense has scored against everyone and they aren't terribly talented this year.

You would need to keep Schwartz but Malzahn is the next big thing IMO. It would take A LOT to get him (close to twice what you paid Marrone). He's a $6-$7M guy if you want him. He may stay another year or two or forever. He's worth a phone call though. He would give Belicheck fits. He's a lot like Belicheck in terms of being an innovator.