Head Coach Candidate: Gus Malzahn

I can only speak for myself but I guess that what I will say is that I don't think that there are 5 people in the world that have a better grasp of offense than him. A lot of guys try to do what they do best. What Malzahn does is what his team does best and what his opponent does worst. He puts people in tough situations. He has won everywhere. He's a little older (which I am saying is a positive). His offense has scored against everyone and they aren't terribly talented this year.

You would need to keep Schwartz but Malzahn is the next big thing IMO. It would take A LOT to get him (close to twice what you paid Marrone). He's a $6-$7M guy if you want him. He may stay another year or two or forever. He's worth a phone call though. He would give Belicheck fits. He's a lot like Belicheck in terms of being an innovator.

He's a bit of what we all hoped for with marrone, really. And then marrone went ahead and put our offensive weaknesses up against the other teams strengths. I think he's the type of guy that whaley might like, though I was surprised by the rumors that whaley had wisenhunt #1 on his list 2 years ago

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Chip Kelly, who when he came to the NFL had far more college HC experience than Gus, is learning that. And I'm not 100% sold on him as a HC yet. I will give him credit for what he has done, though.

Many creative NFL OCs have tried, and most have failed, at the HC level. Why is everyone convinced this guy is a sure thing? Really don't get it.

Kelly is 20-12 in his first two seasons. That includes a playoff experience with less than ideal QB'ing. I'd take Kelly in a heartbeat. Good God, with Kelly CJ Spiller would've had 1500 yards this season.