Defensive Coordinator Candidate: Rex Ryan

CSBill

We have no idea where the Head Coaching search will end, but I think wherever it lands, Jim Swartz will not be the Bills DC any longer. He may become the next HC, but if he doesn't, I seriously doubt he stays on as DC.

If he does become HC, or if we bring in someone else, either way, I would love to see REX RYAN as our next DC. I see so many positives to this, not the least of which is his success against the Patriots, and how motivated would he be to crush the Jets every time he faced them. Plus, he is a heck of a DC.

Your thoughts . . .

Edited by CSBill

I think if the right Head Coach is hired, Rex would love to make this D a good resume building stop for a year or two.

If you believe anything that you read about the coaching carousel, Rex will have a few offers to be a head coach. Honestly, not sure that he needs to step back and be a DC to beef up his resume at this point. For whatever reason, it seems, most in the NFL think pretty highly of Rex Ryan. If he (or Marrone) was smart, he would be clamoring for the Falcons job.

I think it's pretty clear, especially with the report that he is meeting with ESPN, that if he does not land a head coaching position, he will end up on TV.

Either way, I don't like him as our DC. It would be same scheme as Pettine last year, and although effective, our run defense took a huge step forward this year and going back to a Rex multiple D scheme will take a step back IMO. Kyle Williams on JMS recently mentioned that the D was simplified this year and the results show that was effective. A simple scheme with the talent we have is the best scheme.

We have no idea where the Head Coaching search will end, but I think wherever it lands, Jim Swartz will not be the Bills DC any longer. He may become the next HC, but if he doesn't, I seriously doubt he stays on as DC.

If he does become HC, or if we bring in someone else, either way, I would love to see REX RYAN as our next DC. I see so many positives to this, not the least of which is his success against the Patriots, and how motivated would he be to crush the Jets every time he faced them. Plus, he is a heck of a DC.

Your thoughts . . .

No

Hello Bills fans. Take this from a 50 year NFL fan who has watched Rex Ryan closely during his tenure as HC of the NYJ.

He is a fraud.

Initially his schemes on defense worked fairly well but the league caught up with him by 2011.

He is a terrible in game coach frequently making time management errors, making poor 1/2 time adjustments and he is terrible talent evaluator.

His teams are ill prepared and are penalized for 12 men on the field frequently. I wont go into how he has embarrassed the franchise with his comments and behavior.

He is a loud mouth who talks big but never backs up his boasts. Just look at what the Bills did to him this year.

His reputation as a defensive guru is baloney created by the NY media who wanted him to say because he is always quote worthy, giving them stuff to print and is friendly to them.

His "D" never makes a big stop to get off the field when they need it most.

He says he didn't come to NY to kiss Bill Belichicks rings and said he was going to visit the White House after winning the SB.

He may not have kissed Bills rings but he didn't win any and the only way this Bozo is going to the White House is like you and I, as a tourist.

Best of luck in the coach search. Buffalo fans deserve a good team.

Edited by Long Island Phil

Your thoughts . . .

To be a little more verbose:

I think around the league, Sexy Rexy is seen as a talented coach who has been handicapped in NY, first by a player management strategy of spending big $$ for fading FA and also by lack of quality QB.

I think Rexy sees it somewhat the same way. He will be pushing for a HC gig and will likely get offers. If so his choice will be a gig where a proven NFL starting QB is already in the building.

As a DC, Rexy is Pettine's mentor. He runs a high-risk, high-reward D, which has been mediocre to bad the last 4 years. They're relatively stingy with yards but then they give up the big play. No, thank you.

I think if the right Head Coach is hired, Rex would love to make this D a good resume building stop for a year or two.

What leads you to think Rexy is looking to build his resume in a way a Buffalo DC gig would help him with?

Even his boy Pettine only stayed one year (and look what happened to the D when he left :)

I don't know if he'd be a good HC, but you have to admit the idea of Rex getting canned in NY and coming to Buffalo, while Marrone quits in Buffalo and goes to NY, would make for some pretty compelling **** for the NFL.