Is Whaley next?

gjv001

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not. I think that Doug Whaley has done a good job of bringing in talent. Chris Polian never did a good job in Indy and was reported to be an as*hole on top of that.

Agreed. I pray Whaley stays. He's the only guy up top that I have any confidence in to turn this around

Even better than making a big move is making a big move and having it be the right move.

From following football the NFL since the 1970's-

the trade for Watkins and trades for Bryce Brown and Mike Williams(both with character concerns) do not epitomize the Steeler way.

Their franchise quarterback is an alleged rapist. I'm not sure what Steeler way you're referring to where that would be OK but the dumb stuff Mike Williams has pulled wouldn't be.

Now hearing that Marrone wanted confirmation from the Pegulas about a "football operations" guy being brought in, and wanted to know who it was...Pegulas did not want to divulge that info to Marrone.

Kind of odd to think that Marrone wouldn't want to stay, if Polian became involved with the franchise. Polian already on record as liking the job that Marrone did in Buffalo, and both are Brooklyn guys. To me, it sounds more like Marrone saw it as a "no-brainer" to take the 4milliion dollars and run... gotta think he already had feelers out to see if the Jets were interested in him.

I highly doubt it. Whaley is building a team, modeled after the Steelers where he was groomed. That's what the Pegulas want. Marrone was power hungry. They took offense to that. That's why the report today was Whaley won the power struggle. His philosophies won out. Marrone threw a hissy fit and quit.

Wish we could get Mike Williams back... Maybe since Whaley beat out Marrone he will give him a call and assure him he won't be treated like an insolent toddler and actually get a shot to play.

Kind of odd to think that Marrone wouldn't want to stay, if Polian became involved with the franchise. Polian already on record as liking the job that Marrone did in Buffalo, and both are Brooklyn Bronx guys. To me, it sounds more like Marrone saw it as a "no-brainer" to take the 4milliion dollars and run... gotta think he already had feelers out to see if the Jets were interested in him.

Yes he would have been next...

According to the Providence Journal, Polian had "earmarked" Smith to be his general manager in Buffalo.

Instead, Smith is expected to have an enhanced role with the Washington Redskins, where he currently serves as a senior executive.

Polian's potential addition of Smith reinforces the idea that the futures of Bills president Russ Brandon and general manager Doug Whaley would have been murky if Polian joined the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16764/source-polian-would-have-considered-a-j-smith-for-job-with-bills

Yes he would have been next...

According to the Providence Journal, Polian had "earmarked" Smith to be his general manager in Buffalo.

Instead, Smith is expected to have an enhanced role with the Washington Redskins, where he currently serves as a senior executive.

Polian's potential addition of Smith reinforces the idea that the futures of Bills president Russ Brandon and general manager Doug Whaley would have been murky if Polian joined the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16764/source-polian-would-have-considered-a-j-smith-for-job-with-bills

That idea of Smith seems ridiculous. If he was bringing in Smith to be the GM where would all this heavy lifting be? Smith would be doing all that. I would not like that at all, Polian coming in to just lay back and take money and AJ Smith running the team? No thanks.

That idea of Smith seems ridiculous. If he was bringing in Smith to be the GM where would all this heavy lifting be? Smith would be doing all that. I would not like that at all, Polian coming in to just lay back and take money and AJ Smith running the team? No thanks.

How much "heavy lifting" were they looking to do? Whaley is still very green as a GM and could use a mentor like Polian but to replace him with AJ seems ridiculous.

You are entirely correct about, what is the heavy lifting?

Unless that is a reference to this and Polian doesn't want to deal with this.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 2h 2 hours ago

Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.

You would think that Pegula has to be very extremely unhappy about this and heads will roll....

How much "heavy lifting" were they looking to do? Whaley is still very green as a GM and could use a mentor like Polian but to replace him with AJ seems ridiculous.

You are entirely correct about, what is the heavy lifting?

Unless that is a reference to this and Polian doesn't want to deal with this.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 2h 2 hours ago

Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.

You would think that Pegula has to be very extremely unhappy about this and heads will roll....

That would have to be the old bastards who were around when Polian was, like Overdorf. It couldn't be Whaley, he never worked with him.

Agreed.

That would have to be the old bastards who were around when Polian was, like Overdorf. It couldn't be Whaley, he never worked with him.

Would have to be the old guard; ones that most likely need to be tossed out...It's funny that Overdorf is not going on the coaching search as originally planned.

WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 3m3 minutes ago

Clayton "If it weren't for the HOF, he (Polian) would be hired by the Bills and be heavily involved in the coaching search"

Now that Marrone is gone and Polian is not coming, it is unlikely that they will get rid of Whaley too. They may still find a football guy to come in as a consultant, but Whaley will have to find the next head coach. I am leaning towards a hot shot college coach. It is better than any recycle coaches.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Pegula likes Whaley and didn't want to get rid of him and when he heard Polian talking about bringing in Smith, Pegula reminded Polian that he was just hiring his as an adviser, not to bring in his own cast. That ticked Polian off (which typically doesn't take much) Next thing you know, the entire deal ifs off and Polian is using the "heavy lifting" excuse to bow out gracefully.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Pegula likes Whaley and didn't want to get rid of him and when he heard Polian talking about bringing in Smith, Pegula reminded Polian that he was just hiring his as an adviser, not to bring in his own cast. That ticked Polian off (which typically doesn't take much) Next thing you know, the entire deal ifs off and Polian is using the "heavy lifting" excuse to bow out gracefully.

That makes sense.

i would not assume that. someone said they dont like polian and marrone runs to polian? thats dysfunction of marrone, not the person who said they arent a polian fan-- unless this was something extremely noteworthy that was said.