EJ Manuel. Our next star quarterback

A kid cannot become the starting quarterback at Florida State without God-given ability. He has huge potential. He was not afforded the learning curve of most first year quarterbacks. Check out the stats of Elway, Manning, Aikman as rookies. Aikman was 1-15, right? Our quarterback rose to the top of the college ranks. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's where I first noticed him. He threw a TD pass to somebody, and I thought, man, this kid is a natural.

So we trade out of #8, pick up Manuel and Kiko, and EJ is thrust into the starting role on a young growing team. He struggled, but he had some really good games. The second year he had us at .500. He had a rough game against Houston and that crazy MVP candidate JJ Watt. Who didn't struggle against that guy? Marrone pulled him, and turned it over to Kyle. He gave us the best chance to win. And we finished 9-7.

EJ got to watch this all happen from a great vantage point. And I think he was humbled by the whole thing. Did he lose his athletic ability? His intelligence? His determination? No. If anything, he has developed a major chip on his shoulder.

Look at that video. He has the goods.

I am not giving up on EJ Manuel. I think he's ready to become a star.

Edited by TC in St. Louis

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your QB starts from day 1 you can't coach him to not take the risky throw. If you have to do that then he should be sitting and learning. I think it was the plan til he outperformed Kolb.

Then they had no choice. But gave him a crap oline and no running game.

The recipe for disaster for a young QB.

I'm willing to give him a shot. But it better be with a Foles or Nassib or Derek Anderson or Matt Moore and the rookie we're sure to draft.

My draft will look something like:

QB/Center/Guard/QB/Guard/RB/Guard

As long as we're stating platitudes about FSU QBs, name for me all those that have been successful in the NFL.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.

What has this argument ever had to do with anything?

How many great NFL QBs came from Wisconsin or Nevada before Wilson and Kap?

All I need is to look at his body of work in the NFL. I don't need highlight videos from college where he's throwing to wide open receivers. I don't need a song and dance about his potential or great physical talents. All I need to do is throw on the film of this kid displaying shotty footwork, poor accuracy, poor awareness and poor anticipation. He lacks a natural feel for the position.

I can acknowledge that he may improve over time. But I don't need to hear that this is our next star QB because of some desperate need for him to succeed and be our franchise QB. Guys with great ability never put it together and bust all the time.

Edited by Bangarang

What has this argument ever had to do with anything?

How many great NFL QBs came from Wisconsin or Nevada before Wilson and Kap?

Did you bother to read the first post in this thread specifically the first couple sentences that talk about FSU quarterbacks?

Edited by Max997

I tend to agree.

I don't know where this "ALL rookie QBs are capable of being starters day 1 in the NFL, despite 30 years of history to the contrary...because...that's the way the game is now" came from. This is crap.

For literally years we've known that a rookie QBs place is on the bench, precisely so he can learn/develop. We also know that it takes ~3 years for most WRs to truly learn their craft.

Now, suddenly all that wisdom, based on real world outcomes for decades, goes out the window?

Worse, ALL of the players that have been citied to support this nonsense? Their play has refuted the entire notion. Even Andrew Luck has been struggling, and if Indy was in our division, and we in theirs? We would own that division.

If your QB starts from day 1 you can't coach him to not take the risky throw. If you have to do that then he should be sitting and learning. I think it was the plan til he outperformed Kolb.

Then they had no choice. But gave him a crap oline and no running game.

The recipe for disaster for a young QB.

I'm willing to give him a shot. But it better be with a Foles or Nassib or Derek Anderson or Matt Moore and the rookie we're sure to draft.

My draft will look something like:

QB/Center/Guard/QB/Guard/RB/Guard

Be ready to suck then, regardless... if EJ is the starting QB in 2015, we are screwed. He doesn't have the propensity to learn from his mistakes or to correct his inaccurate throws. That's why Marrone gave up on him and didn't start him in New England... HE KNOWS EJ will not get much better... and that kind of honesty is what we need, not false hope in a bum.

Some EJ propaganda

THE EARLY REVIEWS of Bills rookie QB EJ Manuel have been mixed. So why has Buffalo put the fate of the franchise in the hands of this 23-year-old? Let Sport Science count the reasons.

.33: Average release time for a Manuel pass, in seconds. That's the fastest among the six QBs Sport Science tested in its lab this year. By comparison, the NFL average is 0.40.

6: Number of randomly triggered targets Manuel hit from 20 yards in 10 tries. He is the only quarterback Sport Science tested this year who hit more than five targets.

90: Accuracy percentage by Manuel on 2-foot targets from 15 yards away. The average of QBs tested this year: 52 percent. So it's no surprise that through Week 3, Manuel's 0.9 percent INT rate was fifth best in the NFL.

9: Record number of consecutive bull's-eyes Manuel hit in the "touch test," which requires backpedaling QBs to feather a ball over two rushers into a 3-foot target 20 yards away.

84: Wingspan of Manuel, eight inches longer than that of the typical male. As a result, he can throw harder than a QB with shorter arms, assuming their arms rotate at the same angular velocity.

27.3: Circumference of Manuel's thighs, in inches. That's roughly the size of a soccer ball. His powerful lower body helps his rushing game: Through Week 3, he was 10th among NFL QBs with 5.85 ypc.

9 percent: Decrease in Manuel's reaction time while thinking on his feet. Sport Science tests simple reaction times, then retests adding a rapid-fire quiz. His drop-off was the best of any QB tested this year.

89.4: Percentile where Manuel ranks among every QB Sport Science has tested, based on more than 20 factors. Only Colin Kaepernick and Ben Roethlisberger have scored higher.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9749030/buffalo-bills-qb-ej-manuel-stats-charts-espn-magazine

come on now get excited https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bbmUYrmN7k

A kid cannot become the starting quarterback at Florida State without God-given ability. He has huge potential. He was not afforded the learning curve of most first year quarterbacks. Check out the stats of Elway, Manning, Aikman as rookies. Aikman was 1-15, right? Our quarterback rose to the top of the college ranks. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's where I first noticed him. He threw a TD pass to somebody, and I thought, man, this kid is a natural.

So we trade out of #8, pick up Manuel and Kiko, and EJ is thrust into the starting role on a young growing team. He struggled, but he had some really good games. The second year he had us at .500. He had a rough game against Houston and that crazy MVP candidate JJ Watt. Who didn't struggle against that guy? Marrone pulled him, and turned it over to Kyle. He gave us the best chance to win. And we finished 9-7.

EJ got to watch this all happen from a great vantage point. And I think he was humbled by the whole thing. Did he lose his athletic ability? His intelligence? His determination? No. If anything, he has developed a major chip on his shoulder.

Look at that video. He has the goods.

I am not giving up on EJ Manuel. I think he's ready to become a star.

:huh:

I wouldn't use that video to showcase him. So many wide open receivers and so much time to throw.

I have seen lots of footage of Orton not seeing plenty of wide open receivers, with plenty of time to throw.

EJM can, at the very least, be better than Orton.

Edited by HoF Watkins