EJ Manuel. Our next star quarterback

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have a huge identity crisis on offense. They seem to run a power run/west coast offense with an offensive line that can't power run block due to poor guard play and an overabundance of conservative throws to the RBs in the flat when they have a very good trio of Watkins, Woods and Hogan.

The Bills need to throw big money at the best free agent guard and they need to draft another one early in this coming draft. That should take care of upgrading the power run game.

Then they need to scrap the throws to the RBs out of the back field and they need to throw the ball vertically down the field and let their WRs win those battles.

This is what the Steelers do and the Bills should adopt this offensive scheme. EJ Manuel could become a poor mans Ben Rothlesberger, but they need to at least give him the chance with this new scheme. The first thing they need to do is upgrade the line and scrap the throws to the RBs. The only way that Manuel becomes a franchise QB is if he is given a franchise QB offense to run and give him the opportunity to either succeed or fail. We will never know if he is a franchise QB with this current failure of an offensive scheme. Orton sucked in it too so it wasn't just EJ.

Marrone seems obsessed with third downs. Like his main objective is to get a enough yards on first and second down that would make it easier to convert a short pass for another first down. The Steelers don't care about third downs. They attack you with power runs and passes down the field to their WRs. TDs don't come from an abundance of 3rd down conversions. They come from making big plays down the field.

OP here. Just trying to throw a positive spin on our QB situation.

You don't just wake up and land behind the center at Florida State. You don't become MVP of the Senior Bowl without being an exceptional athlete. He seems like an intelligent person. Maybe if they throw up some decent protection he will be fine.

JJ Watt's pick resulted in EJ's being benched for the rest of the year. That's sufficient discipline.

A kid cannot become the starting quarterback at Florida State without God-given ability. He has huge potential. He was not afforded the learning curve of most first year quarterbacks. Check out the stats of Elway, Manning, Aikman as rookies. Aikman was 1-15, right? Our quarterback rose to the top of the college ranks. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's where I first noticed him. He threw a TD pass to somebody, and I thought, man, this kid is a natural.

So we trade out of #8, pick up Manuel and Kiko, and EJ is thrust into the starting role on a young growing team. He struggled, but he had some really good games. The second year he had us at .500. He had a rough game against Houston and that crazy MVP candidate JJ Watt. Who didn't struggle against that guy? Marrone pulled him, and turned it over to Kyle. He gave us the best chance to win. And we finished 9-7.

EJ got to watch this all happen from a great vantage point. And I think he was humbled by the whole thing. Did he lose his athletic ability? His intelligence? His determination? No. If anything, he has developed a major chip on his shoulder.

Look at that video. He has the goods.

I am not giving up on EJ Manuel. I think he's ready to become a star.

Yawn. His 19 QBR and 58 comp %, which both ranked at/near the bottom of the NFL, said otherwise re: him being a future star.

His HC had more confidence in Orton - says a lot.

But like anything, we'll see.

You don't just wake up and land behind the center at Florida State. You don't become MVP of the Senior Bowl without being an exceptional athlete. He seems like an intelligent person. Maybe if they throw up some decent protection he will be fine.

JJ Watt's pick resulted in EJ's being benched for the rest of the year. That's sufficient discipline.

Who cares about Florida State and college football? I could list you hundreds of QB's who were stars in college and then were crap in the NFL. And EJ wasn't even a star in college...

I get you're trying to be positive, but there's already NFL film on EJ - and it's not pretty.

Yes, he has a lovely pedigree, prototypical size, he is a good athlete, a good kid, and he's even intelligent.

Hard worker too.

The problem is he can't play QB at the NFL level.

Edited by Stopthepain

yeah he really struggled vs JJ Watt by throwing the ball right to him

The rest isn't even worth a response

Didn't throw it "right to him"...

JJ Watt is a beast. He did the same EXACT thing to Andrew Luck the week after but bobbled it too much to get a pic 6.

A kid cannot become the starting quarterback at Florida State without God-given ability. He has huge potential. He was not afforded the learning curve of most first year quarterbacks. Check out the stats of Elway, Manning, Aikman as rookies. Aikman was 1-15, right? Our quarterback rose to the top of the college ranks. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's where I first noticed him. He threw a TD pass to somebody, and I thought, man, this kid is a natural.

So we trade out of #8, pick up Manuel and Kiko, and EJ is thrust into the starting role on a young growing team. He struggled, but he had some really good games. The second year he had us at .500. He had a rough game against Houston and that crazy MVP candidate JJ Watt. Who didn't struggle against that guy? Marrone pulled him, and turned it over to Kyle. He gave us the best chance to win. And we finished 9-7.

EJ got to watch this all happen from a great vantage point. And I think he was humbled by the whole thing. Did he lose his athletic ability? His intelligence? His determination? No. If anything, he has developed a major chip on his shoulder.

I completely agree with every word here. Obviously anything is possible but it blows my mind that some people want to give up on him already. SO much potential. I can't wait to watch him improve. He has a good head on his shoulders.

I'm sorry, but did you watch Manuel play at FSU? He was a profound disappointment for us FSU fans, and the narrative on him hasn't changed: he's a great kid with all the tools and for some reason can't bring it all together.

FSU lost in big moments with him at the helm despite a significant talent advantage. Since he departed, the Seminoles have won a national championship and haven't lost a game... Winston, for all of his faults, is an example of what having an NFL-caliber QB can do for a franchise.

Edit: with all of that being said, I do hope things work out. He's a great guy with a lot of potential, but counting all of the seasons I watched him in Tallahassee, I'm about to enter year 6 hoping things will click for him.

First of all the team EJ had around him at FSU was horrific. It was Bobby Bowden's recruiting 20 years past his prime. Jimbo Fisher is responsible for the team's turnaround. Secondly, the school has nothing to do with succeeding in the NFL. We have seen Tom Brady come off a bench in Michigan to be a HOFer, we have seen a kid transfer from NC STATE to Wisconsin and get picked in the 3rd round only to be Super Bowl MVP in his second season. Football is the ultimate team game. Outside of 3 or 4 QBs in the NFL there would not be ANY success without the right system, coaches, oline, receivers, etc etc. This is why a guy like Eli Manning can be a 2 time Super bowl MVP, and then lead the league in interceptions in other seasons. Its not always about the QB. Unless you have the elite of the elite you need all the pieces around them to line up.

P.S. BRAD JOHNSON IS THE MOST ACCOMPLISHED FSU QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY

P.P.S. CASEY WELDON DIDNT WIN A HEISMAN

Edited by coseybedaman

No No No, EJ is not a star QB and never will be . This is one time that the owner should step In and say cut our losses and find a real QB. EJ has used up all his chances, hes a bust so get over it and move on

I will be rooting hard for EJ to come out and light the world on fire. Any Bills fans not doing other wise is rooting for this team to fail, and that makes no sense to me.

I will be rooting hard for EJ to come out and light the world on fire. Any Bills fans not doing other wise is rooting for this team to fail, and that makes no sense to me.

I understand your point and sure, we would all love for EJ to blossom into a great QB. My point is that I think this is extremely unlikely to happen, and therefore I would like a better plan for QB next year.

Whaley said they will "make up the numbers" or something like that yesterday and bring in 1 or 2 new quarterbacks.

I hope they get the best guys they can find, and then if EJ shocks all of us with a magical transformation, great!

Be ready to suck then, regardless... if EJ is the starting QB in 2015, we are screwed. He doesn't have the propensity to learn from his mistakes or to correct his inaccurate throws. That's why Marrone gave up on him and didn't start him in New England... HE KNOWS EJ will not get much better... and that kind of honesty is what we need, not false hope in a bum.

Dumbest thing I've read so far. I would bet my life savings that Marrone does not believe EJ will not get better. He said yesterday that they've seen improvements. And to say he doesnt have the "propensity to learn from his mistakes" PLEEEEASE. Who are you to say that. You have know idea what EJ is capable of. WAy too bold of a comment.

No No No, EJ is not a star QB and never will be . This is one time that the owner should step In and say cut our losses and find a real QB. EJ has used up all his chances, hes a bust so get over it and move on

And who is the mystery QB you would like to replace EJ's roster spot with that has so much more potential?

NO.

The best thing that ever happened to this franchise in 15 years was when Doug Marrone refused to let a garbage QB run an entire franchise into the ground. If we cut EJ, he might get picked up here and there, but there is no doubt he'll never start for another team barring injury.

Nobody knows for sure. I am trying to be optimistic. Many of us agree that the offensive line needs fixing, and the offensive coordinator sucks. Maybe with those repairs the QB will have a better shot at success.

too many people get their kicks from calling our QB garbage. The one thing I'll say for EJ, and this is despite his many struggles, is that you do not see him give up on a play and turtle up. You will not see him slide short of a makeable first down. The kid may not have it - or whatever he had may have been coached out of him. But he does want it.