Current situation makes little sense. Where is this going?

jahnyc

Curious.. Where do you see he's winning, or anything definitive that there's even a struggle?

well, i think its pretty clear reading between the lines of what we have seen and what pretty much every poster with sources in the organization has hinted at to varying degrees. the two (and id characterize it as more so marrone) are definitely hashing some power issues out - and DM has done it publicly with barbed comments.

the nature of the coverage since the season ended (do you blame whaley for EJ, did whaley screw up on watkins, if marrone opts out is he the #1 candidate for every job, will the bills extend their commitment to marrone in order to keep him) seems to signal atleast publicly hes ahead.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are not adding up, or are at least very weird. Consider the following:

1. Polian states that Marrone should be considered for coach of the year after the GB game.

2. Whaley gets negative press from people like Don Banks and Jason La Canfora. Banks, in his "Black Monday Primer" column about possible GM/coaching changes, makes specific reference to the trading up to get Sammy ("Whaley could be vulnerable to be replaced"). La Canfora states that Whaley may be under "review."

3. Rumors about Polian coming to Buffalo in some capacity are refuted by Polian, but then tonight Polian apparently was evasive about it on Sirrius radio Peter King notes today in his MMQB column that a Polian family member is a serious candidate to run the Bills' personnel staff (or two Polians).

4. Marrone's ability to opt out of his contract becomes widely publicized immediately after the season ends with NFL insiders, such as Schefter, suggesting that Marrone could be highly sought after if he decided to opt out.

5. Orton retires suddenly.

6. It is reported that no one on the current staff has been told that they are good for next season. No meetings with ownership are planned. Pegula continues to be silent about any future plans.

7. During the press conference, Marrone notes that he texted the "owner" about Orton retiring and asked Brandon to inform Whaley.

Where is this headed?

1. doesn't mean anything

2. speculation, doesn't mean anything

3. rumors

4. doesn't mean anything, just a story because he has the option

5. that's good news

6. the season just ended, all teams go through a review

7. you mentioned it in #5, it was surprise

nothing really here, but let the off season fun begin...

two dougs enter, one doug leaves.

Not so fast.........a great Businessman named WC Wrigley stated "In business, when two men think alike, one is unnecessary." Now, the two dougs do not always see eye to eye.....thats OK, in ANY business a difference of opionion makes an organization stronger. As long as the parties stay professional, it should work out for the better of the organization. Anyhow, I personally, hope that both Dougs stay......and, if one Doug missed on an item or two, nobody gets them all correct.

(A Watkins trade up ,say, or, picking a GUMBA OC for your staff)

Honestly that isn't how I took it. I think the way someone says something is often as telling as what they say. It felt to me just like it was a busy morning yesterday and Marrone was trying to let everyone know asap, Whaley wasn't in the immediate vicinity so he told Russ and said "can you let Doug know? I'm gonna text the owner."

Yes this is likely what happened. People are trying really hard to make something out of nothing about some chain of command thing. It is silly.

When you run a company of any size, you have a core group of people running that company. That is normal. In this case that core group includes all of these guys - Pegula, Marrone, Whaley and Brandon. There are probably a couple others in that group too that we don't hear about very often. That core group is the "team" that runs this company. It takes a team to run a company of that size. One guy "Pegula" would not run a company of that size all by himself like a King. It just doesn't work that way.

So when something big like "Orton retiring" happens, it is perfectly reasonable that everyone on that core team would insist that every other member on that core team find out immediately. Marrone called Pegula right away because it is a huge event and huge piece of news that the owner needs to be the first person to hear about. Marrone was doing his duty making sure that Pegula knew about this huge news ASAP. That is all.

The whole thing suggests absolutely nothing about the chain of command. If Orton had reported his retirement directly to Pegula first, one of Pegula's first actions would have been to call coach Marrone and let him know. Pegula would have also made sure Whaley and Brandon and anyone else in that core team was notified ASAP as it was a big deal that everyone know immediately.

Is the new owner so preoccupied with his beautiful wife that he didn't notice his 1.4 billion dollar investment in the Buffalo Bills football team he recently purchased. Just lost a "must win" to get into the playoffs game...to a 2-12 team on the road...with a rookie QB starting?

He doesn't notice his new team doesn't have a 2015 1st round or 4th round pick because his GM traded them away for the 4th best rookie WR in the 2014 draft. That this GM hasn't brought in more then two decent starters for the offensive side of the ball for two years now.

He didn't notice his starting veteran QB who went 7-5, and got the team a winning season all the while the Bills OC calling 579 passing plays vs 402 rushing plays while playing behind one of the very worst O lines in the entire league...just abruptly retired for some unknown reason.

He doesn't notice his starting RB along with some of the best pass rushers may leave the team for better money.

Looks like its headed right down the ceramic convenience.

Are you for real?

I don't think there is as much uncertainty as there is speculated to be. Marrone isn't going anywhere, Schwartz is staying as long as he doesn't take a head coaching job, and Whaley seems to be staying put. The only instability is Hackett who I think will be fired as part of a shake up on the offense.

You want our new owner to be a Dan Snyder?

Where did I say that?

The team has serious issues on offense, and I would have thought any new owner paying attention to his team would want to have discussions about the future of his team. Russ Brandon stated that there are no meetings planned with new ownership this week. Marrone went on record as saying he will meet with Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon in the future to discuss team plans.

It doesn't alarm you that the GM & HC are still reporting to the finance / marketing guy.

It doesn't alarm you that a primary reason the team even won 9 games just abruptly walked away, and now the team doesn't have a viable veteran QB.

That the team still very much in the playoff hunt, and needing to win to stay in, went on the road against a 2-12 team, and lost. That the way the Bills lost was particularly disturbing to me. By passing 49 times against the #7 pass defense in the league, and rushing only 13 times for 13 yards against the 24th rush defense in the league..

Yet, no coaching changes, not even a senior adviser announced.

Where did I say that?

The team has serious issues on offense, and I would have thought any new owner paying attention to his team would want to have discussions about the future of his team. Russ Brandon stated that there are no meetings planned with new ownership this week. Marrone went on record as saying he will meet with Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon in the future to discuss team plans.

It doesn't alarm you that the GM & HC are still reporting to the finance / marketing guy.

It doesn't alarm you that a primary reason the team even won 9 games just abruptly walked away, and now the team doesn't have a viable veteran QB.

That the team still very much in the playoff hunt, and needing to win to stay in, went on the road against a 2-12 team, and lost. That the way the Bills lost was particularly disturbing to me. By passing 49 times against the #7 pass defense in the league, and rushing only 13 times for 13 yards against the 24th rush defense in the league..

It's very early. RB could be the liaison between ownership and the FO. Besides, maybe Pegula is sitting on his hands because he doesn't want to be overly hasty making a decision.

I doubt Pegula came in and changed the entire dynamic of the franchise in week 6. He's letting things play out. They had their last game two days ago. I'm sure they are in the process of changing how things work.

No. KO leaving was a distinct possibility that I'm sure Whaley/Marrone had a contingency plan for. Just like when Pettine left "abruptly."

That the team still very much in the playoff hunt, and needing to win to stay in, went on the road against a 2-12 team, and lost. That the way the Bills lost was particularly disturbing to me. By passing 49 times against the #7 pass defense in the league, and rushing only 13 times for 13 yards against the 24th rush defense in the league.

One loss is disturbing? KC lost to Oakland too you know. Is the KC owner shaking everything up this second?

There are teams in the NFL without any coaches at all. Who makes a big decision like a coaching staff change in a day?

Chill with the doom and gloom. The only folks panicking are the ones who thought the second Peg's took over, Cowher would be HC and we'd already be planning a Superbowl parade. These things take time.

I think some people have a slightly warped idea of what Pegula is going to be as an owner. He struck me in his press conference and the interviews since as being a pretty nice guy. I don't see him firing people just because he didn't appoint them when they have just produced something that is better than what has gone before. There are some owners who would act like that I'm just not sure Terry is one of them.

What's wrong with Kim and Terry letting this play out for the next week or two; listing to the plan going forward and then making their decisions. There is no Stud QB available; and for all you Marrone haters ( I am not overly frond of him); there is no super coach out there -as a result there is no real sense of urgency. If there is no plan in place or they do not like what they hear then it may be time to make some changes- but there will not be any knee jerk reactions. They have alway keep things within their inner circle - this does not make for good news stories or make media types happy - but it is how well run orginazitional operate. I personally hope there are heated discussions ongoing between Doug W and Doug M and far as the roster goes; if either is a status quo man; and does not have passionate opinion - I do not want them with the job. I truly believe that both of them want to win at all costs and have respect for each other. That is why they made the Sammy trade. Let's see where this goes, but other than minor coaching staff changes - I do not see any major shake ups. The biggest changes may be behind the scene changes - such as more scouts hired - more money spent in player scouting and development, facilities upgrades, etc.

I love how there is a power struggle, when we were literally two miraculous 4th and 20 plays away from being a 7-9 team. Add in there if NE had had to have played to win, and this could have easily been a 6-win season.

I only mention this not to take away from our season, but to say that neither of the dougs should feel so well-positioned to flex his muscles and push the other one out.

I really thought that based on the items listed that this is where it would end up. Marrone seems to have a huge ego, and the broadcasting of the opt out was definitely planned. It also makes sense as to why he played Orton in the last game. He was gunning for as good a record as possible with the opt out in mind.