Bills radio (Mike Schopp is awful)

tito1

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided, stupidly, to use the web browser to listen to WGR55 since the Orton retirement, just to hear what his decisions was based on and it's just reaffirmed my hatred of talk radio. Murphy has Chris Brown on (who can't offer squat in terms of critical insight or thinking but constantly tows the line) but they go to caller after idiotic caller. Who the hell calls these shows? Seriously, get a life or at least check in to reality every once in a while. It's abysmal. Stop going to callers for the love of all humanity and save the people listening the desire to dive through their office window to the pavement below. As bad as some of these hosts are, the callers combine to make it un-listenable. Do we have an intelligent caller somewhere in WNY?

Long time listener, first time caller.

Schopp was insufferable today on the post-game. He was a jerk to everyone that called in. He insisted that the win somehow shouldn't count against the Pats AFC home win streak because the Pats "chose" not to win (totally disregarding that they lost the 1st half with Brady) but never considered that the Pats have won several similar games during that streak. So the wins count for the Pats streak, but the loss in a similar situation shouldn't? What a d*ck. Then he says he doesn't want to discuss whether or not the game meant anything, but keeps resetting the point on his own.

The game may have not meant anything, but how many of these "meaningless" week 17 games have we gone out and gotten crushed? How did you feel after those games? I don't feel like we won the Superbowl today, but it beats a kick in the nuts. Schopp apparently would have preferred the kick.

Give me Sal any day, at least you can have a discussion.

He is a jerk sometimes to callers and that is by far his worst quality. However, he is def right about this win not counting against the streak that the pats had against us. Yes, Brady played in the first half but do you really think he was trying? We're talking about a first ballot hall of famer. Maybe the best to ever do it. This win was a B.S. win from Marrone and Co. and I still consider the streak to be alive. Look at all the inactives for the pats and rethink your opinion here...

He is a jerk sometimes to callers and that is by far his worst quality. However, he is def right about this win not counting against the streak that the pats had against us. Yes, Brady played in the first half but do you really think he was trying? We're talking about a first ballot hall of famer. Maybe the best to ever do it. This win was a B.S. win from Marrone and Co. and I still consider the streak to be alive. Look at all the inactives for the pats and rethink your opinion here...

Well that ends it then! Be sure to notify the NFL so they can update their stats!

I decided, stupidly, to use the web browser to listen to WGR55 since the Orton retirement, just to hear what his decisions was based on and it's just reaffirmed my hatred of talk radio. Murphy has Chris Brown on (who can't offer squat in terms of critical insight or thinking but constantly tows the line) but they go to caller after idiotic caller. Who the hell calls these shows? Seriously, get a life or at least check in to reality every once in a while. It's abysmal. Stop going to callers for the love of all humanity and save the people listening the desire to dive through their office window to the pavement below. As bad as some of these hosts are, the callers combine to make it un-listenable. Do we have an intelligent caller somewhere in WNY?

Going to callers is the easy route for a talk show host. Cowherd also gets tons of crap here , but that guy does a solo show for 3 hours everyday while taking very few calls, and to me keeps the show interesting.

That is the real difference between local and national talent on radio.

Why I don't listen to NFL network on radio very often now...too many "how my Cowboys going to do this week" questions.

Having worked in commercial radio in a major market, I have a bit of expertise in this area.

My problem with these guys at WGR is the contempt they have for the audience. Yes, "Joey from Williamsville" calling for the umpteenth time to say "hey how you doing?" and make the same dumb points over and over again gets tiresome. And yes, sometimes insulting the audience's intelligence can make for very listenable radio. In their case it does not. Their contempt is palpable, and their wit is dull.

But they're the big fish in a small drainage pond behind the McKinley Mall, so whaddaya gonna do?

LOL. Sal on WGR just now...ripped people who hate on the Bills win. Intentional or not he threw Schopp under the bus.

Tell me exactly what the Bills were supposed to do? Put a gun to Belichick's head and force him to play starters?? The Bills can't control who they play. All they can do is play the game.

LOL. Sal on WGR just now...ripped people who hate on the Bills win. Intentional or not he threw Schopp under the bus.

Tell me exactly what the Bills were supposed to do? Put a gun to Belichick's head and force him to play starters?? The Bills can't control who they play. All they can do is play the game.

Take off your knee-pads Promo. Sal is brutal. Perfect for the basement or the Buffalo market.

Sal is a cheerleader

Schopp is arrogant, bitter and jaded

Bulldog is the guy you meet in a bar on Elmwood or Hertel slamming pitchers of beer and yelling incoherently at the TV

Howard is your typical morning guy, although he's been angry lately because the Sabres are winning

Jeremy White is the guy who always wants to argue

The various producers who try their hands at parody/comedy are completely brutal

Sal is a cheerleader

Bulldog is the guy you meet in a bar on Elmwood or Hertel slamming pitchers of beer and yelling incoherently at the TV

Howard is your typical morning guy, although he's been angry lately because the Sabres are winning

The various producers who try their hands at parody/comedy are completely brutal

Listening to Sal at WGR-550 right now. A very typical caller just called in and said "Pegula is going to clean house."

Sal cut him off and facetiously asked something like: "Oh yeah? Is this breaking news? You have some inside information on this?"

And the caller was not bright enough to catch the irony in Sal's comments. His retort was something like: "Yeah, I have an inside source. For one, he's a billionaire. So there's that."

And Sal was like "Yeah, OK? So what?"

And that was kind of the end of the caller's contributions to the show.

Mike Schopp is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, but he is not dumb. He has to listen to this crap all day long and it has broken him...hence his attitude.

He should take a shot at a larger market; I think he would find it professionally more rewarding.

Just my 2 cents.

The defense was good against Brady, but he barely played.

It's facscinating, to me, that you don't see the relationship between these two statements.

Let me help: If the Defense had been bad against Brady, he would have played...more. :lol:

Also, "Smiley" Garrapolo got his clock cleaned after poking the bear. The point is: we played a football game yesterday, and we won it with ease, against a team who was trying and was pissed that they lost. Brady was doing nothing out there, and taking him out was as much about keeping him from losing confidence as it was about not getting hurt. I kept asking the Pats fans I was with "how many times were they going to let Nigel Bradham have a free run at Brady?" After the 1st qtr, they were literally begging Belechick to sit Brady. :lol:

The Pats were playing with fire, they realized it, and they sat Brady down. That is the reality of that game.

3 HOF QBs in 4 games, and 0 TDs? Only an umitigated moron, who knows less than nothing(otherwise known as "knowing" things, that aren't true), says that means nothing.

And, why is anyone surprised that these simple concepts elude Mike Schopp?

Analytics? :lol: As an expert in the field(I built my first star schema in 1996), I am fully qualified to say the following:

Mike Schopp's understanding, never mind his ability to relate to and then effectively communicate advanced statistical analysis to others? F'ing laughable. The man twisted himself up into getting into an argument with Paul Hamilton on air. Schopp's premise: "Team shooting % is an individual statistic". :lol: Hamilton rightly stood his ground and told him he was simply wrong. Schopp then found an excuse for his stupidity in being emotional over an unrelated topic. Pathetic.

Schopp is just one of many "sports guys" who are trading on work they have nothing do with, and largely do not comprehend.

If you can't build your own "analytics"(which, btw is a hilariously absurd way to say that...but you have to know, to know why), you shouldn't be talking about them.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Listening to Sal at WGR-550 right now. A very typical caller just called in and said "Pegula is going to clean house."

Sal cut him off and facetiously asked something like: "Oh yeah? Is this breaking news? You have some inside information on this?"

And the caller was not bright enough to catch the irony in Sal's comments. His retort was something like: "Yeah, I have an inside source. For one, he's a billionaire. So there's that."

And Sal was like "Yeah, OK? So what?"

And that was kind of the end of the caller's contributions to the show.

Mike Schopp is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, but he is not dumb. He has to listen to this crap all day long and it has broken him...hence his attitude.

He should take a shot at a larger market; I think he would find it professionally more rewarding.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree on Schopp

He is so bitter and jaded that I think there is no going back. He has to work HARD to sound even halfway excited about covering the Bills.

He's been so negative for so long about them that it's too late to change.

I agree on Schopp

He is so bitter and jaded that I think there is no going back. He has to work HARD to sound even halfway excited about covering the Bills.

He's been so negative for so long about them that it's too late to change.

I think you are right. In fact, earlier this summer, he more or less stated as much in black and white!

He said something like "We are rolling into the Bills season time of year and I am dreading it. It is the same broken record for 15 years" and he was basically running down the formula for how it works, what the typical schools of thoughts will be as expressed by callers...the frustrating need to do the live post-game shows lamenting another loss, and so on.

It's kind of weird. The guy is a sports radio host in a 2 team town obsessed with those 2 teams...but I honestly think Schopp would prefer talking about tangentially related sports topics.

Like: gambling in general and sports in particular, sports memorabilia collecting, and the sport of tennis.

In a bigger market, he might be the guy for any of those topics and it would suit him well.

As it is, he has to fake it and talk about the Sabres and Bills all the time. He hates it.

I'd say their opinion is based on 15 years of the Bills going from bad to OK, rinse and repeat. Some people can't handle the truth and want cheerleaders, not opinions.

when your basing your opinons without merit your a moron, time to think for yourself. No one at WGR outside of Sal has played or coached football a day in their life. I'd love to watch Howard and Jeremy play catch the Schoop and Bulldog....that would be a site. Then tell about quarterbacking

Season ends with a 3pm press conference and a ton of speculation about cleaning house , orton surprise retirement etccc makes for a great radio talk show, No surprise Schoop starts off with should we even talk about the press conference blah blah blah - I just had to turn it off and such a wasted opportunity for great bills talk.

Maybe he will talk about the girl scouts or maybe US Open tennis...

Sal is a cheerleader

Pretty accurate

when your basing your opinons without merit your a moron, time to think for yourself. No one at WGR outside of Sal has played or coached football a day in their life. I'd love to watch Howard and Jeremy play catch the Schoop and Bulldog....that would be a site. Then tell about quarterbacking

So only people that played or coached can have an opinion? That would shut down this website. I played in high school, does that qualify?

So only people that played or coached can have an opinion? That would shut down this website. I played in high school, does that qualify?

No one pays us to express our opinions unlike the folks at WGR. They are routinely touted as experts in all things that are Buffalo sports. Having played or coached or studied football certainly increases the odds that your opinion is an informed one.