Marrone is old school and can we trust him to change moving forward?

Niagara Dude

you need talent. That's how you adapt.

What a joke. Talent at all 22 positions all the time and hope to squeak into the playoffs? Why even have a coach at all. The Bills are short on talent at G and QB. They are LOADED everywhere else. We still blew it with horrible play calling and plans on offense. I'll grant you that QB talent is a big deal but we are strong at T, RB, WR, C and the entire defense. Marina has no excuses for not getting more out of what he had. He is simply not an NFL HC. I expect him to be fired approximately one year from today which is a bummer because the D will be a year older.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, no one wins with talent and poor or even average coaching. You need both. Teams get to Super Bowls only when a talented team has its coach pull all the right strings for the most part, they have a lot of talent, a few players have career years, and they have a good chunk of luck (which sometimes seems to come from having the above three). You can have talented players and if coaches don't put them in positions to succeed, they are not nearly as good.

I see coaches fail in one spot only to have success in another. It's all about talent. Talent in the right places.

you need talent. That's how you adapt.

Earlier this season with Manning struggling and injured and a poor running game, the Broncos adapted by using an extra lineman and getting their RB some holes. They won several games with this mid-season offensive adjustment and are currently on the cusp of being the #2 seed.

The Bills struggling to run the ball and with a struggling QB, did.... Nothing different. No adjustments to their offense at all. They loses a couple of winnable games and are currently cleaning out their lockers for the season.

Coaching staffs that can adjust during the season and during a game are what good teams have.

What a joke. Talent at all 22 positions all the time and hope to squeak into the playoffs? Why even have a coach at all. The Bills are short on talent at G and QB. They are LOADED everywhere else. We still blew it with horrible play calling and plans on offense. I'll grant you that QB talent is a big deal but we are strong at T, RB, WR, C and the entire defense. Marina has no excuses for not getting more out of what he had. He is simply not an NFL HC. I expect him to be fired approximately one year from today which is a bummer because the D will be a year older.

They are not loaded. The RBs are either old or injured . Our WRs are very inexperienced. Our TEs are bottom 5 in terms of talent. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Marrone is all about the current score on the board, and field position. He has no feel for the flow of the game and no "courage" to put his team in a position to win. He does not show any propensity to change and if that continues, will be forever a .500 coach at best.

Bottom line, he does nothing to help his team win a game.

My question is whether Marrone has done even 1 thing, 1 bold move, gamble or anything that had resulted in the Bills winning the game? Has this happened in the last 2 years in any of the games. I know we justifiably criticize Marrone for his lack of courage on 4th downs but he has done really nothing with game management that indicates he has any courage or ingenuity to think on his feet. His conservative nature has cost us crucial wins.

The thing that worries me about keeping this guy around is he willing to change and understand this is no longer a run & stop the run league.If he is not willing to bring in a more modern play calling OC then he should be shown the door.

Which team that cannot run the ball decently is a strong Super Bowl contender?

My question is whether Marrone has done even 1 thing, 1 bold move, gamble or anything that had resulted in the Bills winning the game? Has this happened in the last 2 years in any of the games. I know we justifiably criticize Marrone for his lack of courage on 4th downs but he has done really nothing with game management that indicates he has any courage or ingenuity to think on his feet. His conservative nature has cost us crucial wins.

Do you watch the NFL? Coaches don't go for it. The Bills are 12th in 4th down attempts.

He won 3 more games than last year and unfortunately that's enough to give him more time, especially with a guy like Pegula. That said, I think he has to fire Hackett and the OL coach. But since he has held those positions in the past, firing them would be an indictment of himself. Therefore, I don't see changes happening and I'll be surprised if he's still our coach in 2-3 years.

He won 3 more games than last year and unfortunately that's enough to give him more time, especially with a guy like Pegula. That said, I think he has to fire Hackett and the OL coach. But since he has held those positions in the past, firing them would be an indictment of himself. Therefore, I don't see changes happening and I'll be surprised if he's still our coach in 2-3 years.

That's the whole conundrum. I doubt we see much needed changes.

But we have no idea what the Pegulas, or Whaley, or Brandon, or Marrone, or any consultant thinks.

The two most likely scenarios to me are everyone stays, and we have similar problems next year, or 2] The Pegulas and Whaley insist on Marrone making changes and he quits, and then we have no idea who gets hired.

I don't understand everyone on this board wants the oline & Oc coaches fired. I think Tyrone Weatley & Rob Moore should be both sent packing. MOF I think this whole offensive staff needs to be replaced with NFL quality coaches. This staff as a whole needs to be upgraded offensively. The Defense has guys like Pepper Johnson, Henderson & Schwartz these guys are elite at there jobs. Let's match this on O I would go hard at Tony Sparono or Greg Roman offensive line coach these 2 can also help in the running gms. I would like to see an OC like Rob Chudzinski as OC. We need coaches with experience.

Last but not least coach Marrone needs to cede power to the next set of offensive coaches. Jason Garrett did the same thing in Dallas now look at them. The best coaches sometimes are the ones that know when to take a step bk or change for the sake of the team. Tom Coughlin did the same thing with the Giants and won 2 Suoerbowls afterwards. Marrone if u stay make the change get out of your conservative approach & let's open this Offense up

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Marrone is old school coaching not to lose which is not something I ever see changing. He would rather punt bc he is worried about not getting the first instead of being aggressive. Further evidence, the Bills had the lead at halftime 8 times this year and went on to score 7 or less in 6 of those games...that is not a co incidence and would hv been 7 of 8 if Jets were not as bad as they were in that first game.

Marrone is just as big of a problem as Hackett is but I don't see one going without the other

Edited by Max997

Marrone is all about the current score on the board, and field position. He has no feel for the flow of the game and no "courage" to put his team in a position to win. He does not show any propensity to change and if that continues, will be forever a .500 coach at best.

Bottom line, he does nothing to help his team win a game.

Marrone is old school coaching not to lose which is not something I ever see changing. He would rather punt bc he is worried about not getting the first instead of being aggressive. Further evidence, the Bills had the lead at halftime 8 times this year and went on to score 7 or less in 6 of those games...that is not a co incidence and would hv been 7 of 8 if Jets were not as bad as they were in that first game.

Marrone is just as big of a problem as Hackett is but I don't see one going without the other

What would constitute being less aggressive in the 2nd half? I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown per whatever that criteria is.

GO BILLS!!!

With an efficient offense - just efficient - we would be have 11-12 wins. Marrone is not the reason we missed the playoffs. He is a reason we are becoming a credible team again, along with Whaley.

Hackett may or may not be the reason, because I've seen plenty of open targets Orton missed or wasn't afforded time to hit.

Detroit, Arizona, Denver, New England, Indy going into this week were all bottom half of the league in YPC.

How do those teams rank in number of attempts and how good are those teams at stopping the run?

GO BILLS!!!

The main reason for this topic is if we are going to keep Marrone is he needs to be willing to adjust and have a OC who is going to be prepared and have game plans that win games.I believe the only reason why Marrone hired such a young OC with no experience is so he could call the plays himself (conversative).Arizona Cardinals are making the playoffs with a great defense and a coach who believes in throwing the ball down he field (and there QB is?)