Revisiting the Daryle Lamonica trade

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the mad bomber did win two league MVPs after we traded him away for a song, he's not in the Hall of Fame like Lynch will be. That would make him the second worst trade in franchise history.

The very strong rumor was that Ralph was buoying the Raiders to make sure he got his very illegal $300,000 loan back from Al Davis.

The trade was the start of the demise of the franchise. Heretofore we were a cutting edge team, with great drafting, top-notch coaching, and even some innovation (yes, we had the first ever soccer style kicker in Pete Gogolak). Once Lou Saban left we were finished. Joel Collier took over, and that began the slide to more than a decade of awful coaches, and drafting.

I was a teenager in those days, and didn't quite realize that we just had our pockets picked by a coach from Oakland named Al Davis. Davis would go on to distinguish himself as cutting edge, and we would be left on the cutting room floor.

I still get sick when I see highlights of Lamonica throwing 70 yard bombs that connected. Worse yet, I get doubled up in agony when I hear the term "mad bomber". Ouch.. all of this still hurts, and its only been almost half a century. "Honey, where did you put the Pepto Bismol" !!!!

Edited by rcatty

The trade was the start of the demise of the franchise. Heretofore we were a cutting edge team, with great drafting, top-notch coaching, and even some innovation (yes, we had the first ever soccer style kicker in Pete Gogolak). Once Lou Saban left we were finished. Joel Collier took over, and that began the slide to more than a decade of awful coaches, and drafting.

I was a teenager in those days, and didn't quite realize that we just had out pockets picked by a coach from Oakland named Al Davis. Davis would go on to distinguish himself as cutting edge, and we would be left on the cutting room floor.

I still get sick when I see highlights of Lamonica throwing 70 yard bombs that connected. Worse yet, I get doubled up in agony when I hear the term "mad bomber". Ouch.. all of this still hurts, and its only been almost half a century. "Honey, where did you put the Pepto Bismol" !!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

don't know about the loan, but over the years, I have heard that he wore out his welcome here, not with the fans, but with everyone else associated with the team, from the top down to the locker room

as for AL, a visionary if there ever was one

One of my first memories of the Bills was hearing the "We want Lamonica!" chant whenever Jack Kemp would falter.

If I had to pick a favorite year in my life, it would be 1964. It was my first full year of rooting for the Bills, and they win a championship. The Beatles arrive in the U.S. And being Catholic, Vatican II was in full swing.

1990-91 was the most exciting year to watch the Bills. The Giants were the one team they should have beaten. In fact they sowed the seeds of their own loss by knocking out Simms in the regular season.

Edited by flmike

I was a teenager in those days, and didn't quite realize that we just had out pockets picked by a coach from Oakland named Al Davis. Davis would go on to distinguish himself as cutting edge, and we would be left on the cutting room floor.

this right here^ except I wasn't a teen yet. I used to love that LS would sub a QB into a game, I mean who ELSE did that? My only problem with Lou is that he didn't use Marlin Briscoe as a QB basically because of race.

And here is an interesting thing to look at 41% haha. That team won because of the defence.

Player stats[edit]

Passing[edit]

Player Comp Att Yds Completion % TD INT Jack Kemp 179 391 2368 45.8 10 18 Daryle Lamonica 29 70 376 41.4 3 6

[5]

Rushing[edit]

Player Att Yds Average Long TD Wray Carlton 156 592 3.8 80 6

[5]

Edited by bowery4