The running game

YoloinOhio

I'm not an expert on line play, but do our guards ever pull out and lead block for our backs?

Other teams have lead blockers through the hole.

Our line seems to just block straight forward, with no sideways movement. Backs have no place to go, everything is jammed up in the middle.

Anyone notice this lack of movement of our line?

Same with trap blocking, do we ever use it? Doesn't seem like out OL uses it?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an expert on line play, but do our guards ever pull out and lead block for our backs?

Other teams have lead blockers through the hole.

Our line seems to just block straight forward, with no sideways movement. Backs have no place to go, everything is jammed up in the middle.

Anyone notice this lack of movement of our line?

Same with trap blocking, do we ever use it? Doesn't seem like out OL uses it?

We don't do much of it, because I don't think our o line can do it well

We don't do much of it, because I don't think our o line can do it well

Chan had 3 of these same linemen and pulled guards and ran traps all the time. Seemed they were capable of it 3 years ago, what has changed?

The one where he looked like he was trying to square dance with the end? Before Mack and the End blew up the play or is that a run I am thinking of?

Which one? There were about 5-10 to choose from. And not just Urbik. None of our screen passes worked because our O lineman whiffed on every single one.

We litteraly cant run screens because our line is not capable of making a block in space! I havent seen an Olineman make a block on a screen all year

Here's the GIF I promised you. This play winds up going for 2 yards.

In honor of Kraig Urbik, I call it, "Crap Rolls Downhill"

ConstantBonyAustrianpinscher.gif

There were no holes today. Next to none the entire game. No RB would have done well.

thats not true at all. There were plenty of options for our RBs. I saw CJ make the wrong decision at least 3 times today. Going one way when he should have went the other. It's no different than his entire career. He's a terrible decision maker and now his physical abilities are not only dwindling, were finding out that the defenses facing him are just as gifted and talented yet they don't make stupid decisions.

Here's the GIF I promised you. This play winds up going for 2 yards.

In honor of Kraig Urbik, I call it, "Crap Rolls Downhill"

ConstantBonyAustrianpinscher.gif

I see that differently. If CJ cuts that run inside of Urbik, he likely runs for at least 10 of not more. Urbik was pushing the defender outside. Yet CJ takes the outside and shouldn't. Run inside that block and the blocks would have been downfield for a big gain. Edited by mrags

thats not true at all. There were plenty of options for our RBs. I saw CJ make the wrong decision at least 3 times today. Going one way when he should have went the other.

I see that differently. If CJ cuts that run inside of Urbik, he likely runs for at least 10 of not more. Urbik was pushing the defender outside. Yet CJ takes the outside and shouldn't. Run inside that block and the blocks would have been downfield for a big gain.

Yeah, this is just wrong and complete nonsense (sorry, but there's no polite way to put it). This was one of the worst performances by a Bills' offensive line that I've ever seen. I believe it was our worst rushing total in 17 years -- and it wasn't because CJ Spiller ran the wrong way 3 times. I would be more than happy to break down all of CJ's 8 touches on the A22 tape, but if you can't even see the missed block in the above GIF, it would just be a waste of both of our time.

We don't need to draft a RB. We've got 3 decent ones (Jackson, Dixon, Brown). Teams have productive run games w/ inferior talent. Our problem is we don't open holes. Our blockers, interior in particular, just don't cut it. Whether or not an improvement in "scheme" would help, IDK, but regardless, I seriously doubt the improvement would be substantial. When you need to run, it all comes down to your guy beating their guy & our guys don't seem to be able to do that as it's most obvious in short yardage situations.

not defending marrone (i think he's bottom half at best) but maybe this is why he's so apprehensive about going for 4th downs. no way the odds are as good as 50/50 running for it on 4th and 1 behind this line.

Anyone else besides me see Kraig Urbik being pushed 5 yards into the backfield where he tackled Spiller for a 5 yard loss?

6:22 in the first quarter, 2nd and 4 to go. single back set with 7 bills on the line blocking 5 raiders. #94 for the Raiders Antonio Smith blows up the play 5 yards in the backfield. If he hadn't made the tackle then two other Raiders defenders were right there to make the stop before Spiller even hit the line of scrimmage.

This has to be the most god awful offensive line blocking I've ever seen. The Bills O linemen are so bad they can't handle scrub players one on one.

The entire offensive coaching staff needs to be fired, and since that is Maroons forte...

thats not true at all. There were plenty of options for our RBs. I saw CJ make the wrong decision at least 3 times today. Going one way when he should have went the other. It's no different than his entire career. He's a terrible decision maker and now his physical abilities are not only dwindling, were finding out that the defenses facing him are just as gifted and talented yet they don't make stupid decisions.

I see that differently. If CJ cuts that run inside of Urbik, he likely runs for at least 10 of not more. Urbik was pushing the defender outside. Yet CJ takes the outside and shouldn't. Run inside that block and the blocks would have been downfield for a big gain.

When I first saw this play live during the game I would have agreed with you. Looked like a bad or possibly cowardly decision by CJ to run out of bounds. Now that I can see this again, absolutely no one is blocked on this "screen play" except for the guy #14 is on. He runs outside it's 2 yards, he runs it inside it's 2 yards plus pain.

When I first saw this play live during the game I would have agreed with you. Looked like a bad or possibly cowardly decision by CJ to run out of bounds. Now that I can see this again, absolutely no one is blocked on this "screen play" except for the guy #14 is on. He runs outside it's 2 yards, he runs it inside it's 2 yards plus pain.

There were multiple mistakes on that play. Nobody blocked 56. Not sure who was supposed to, Robert Woods? Pears maybe? (Probably Woods) CJ should have run towards Urbik which may have allowed Urbik to make a better block. CJ very often kicks these plays outside trying to outrun everyone, which he usually fails to do. CJ too often chooses to run east or west instead of north. It sucks to watch. If everyone did their job on these screen passes, a lot of these screens would go for huge gains. Sad display of both coaching and execution. The only people who executed well on that play were Orton, Eric Wood and Sammy friggin Watkins. (Maybe Pears too depending on if he was supposed to reach a second level block or not)

What's really scary is that we have been trying to fix it, and it's become apparent that we simply can't. Last year it was Colin Brown and Legursky. This year, Chris Williams and three draft picks -- and the OL is getting worse.

And pretty much all this.

I'm going to make a gif of Urbik trying to block on that screen pass -- the play where he just whiffs and winds up doing pretty much nothing at all.

Well we know we need a couple O Lineman and a QB. They will go and address this I am sure. Whaley knows it and if he is replaced, his replacement with a fresh set of eyes will see it. All good. they will get it fixed either in FA or draft. Probably both.

Well we know we need a couple O Lineman and a QB. They will go and address this I am sure. Whaley knows it and if he is replaced, his replacement with a fresh set of eyes will see it. All good. they will get it fixed either in FA or draft. Probably both. They bet the farm on EJ and Orton as the backup and lost. Not crash and burn lost, but only got to 8-8. Simple as that, at least for this year. Pegs is loaded and committed, so expect changes and fast.

I'm going to make a gif of Urbik trying to block on that screen pass -- the play where he just whiffs and winds up doing pretty much nothing at all.

I think you'll have to be a little more specific as what you describe above has happened a dozen times this year.

not to change the topic , but lets look at this, Rex Ryan who has a team with less talent then the Bills,has gone toe to toe with the Pats

can you image for minute what he could do with he Bills, understand this I am not a Ryan fan but he may the answer

, I would be 100% in favor of this change,

Edited by rumblefish