Which QB would you like in the draft?

If the season were to end today, Buffalo (I believe) would be picking somewhere around the 51st pick in the 2nd round. Depending on what happens in FA, Buffalo could very well be selecting a QB with this pick. It appears that Mariota, Winston, Cook, and perhaps Hundley will likely be off the board by the time Buffalo makes their selection.

Which "2nd tier" QB would you like to see Buffalo take a chance on? It doesn't necessarily have to be with our 2nd round pick. Who do you like and why?

I have taken a liking to Shane Carden, QB Eastern Carolina University

While he doesn't have prototypical size for a NFL QB, but he is big enough at 6'2' 221#'s. He has a lightning quick release, throws well on the run, and moves well in the pocket to buy time. While he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, scouts do feel that he has the arm strength to make all the throws. I like his fiery attitude, and he has played well against the better teams on ECU's schedule. I especially love his ability to improvise when pass protection breaks down. There has been some criticism about his inconsistency with mid-range throws, and also some concern that ECU does not run a traditional pro-style offense (larger learning curve).

http://breakingfootb...2015-nfl-draft/

I am of the opinion that Buffalo should go either OG/C, TE, or BPA with their pick in the 2nd round, and it appears that Carden may be available in round 3 or 4 (although he is rising up draft boards). I view him as a guy who would benefit from learning from a veteran QB for a season or two, but a guy who could eventually become a very good NFL QB with his skill set.

Which QB would you (realistically) like to see Buffalo draft in 2015?

Timely thread, as I've been watching as much video (obviously can't find real game tape) of the 2nd tier QBs as I can get lately.

I'm not a Carden guy...he doesn't seem to have the arm that I like. That's not to say that he cannot make the throws, but rather that he cannot drive the ball on every route the way I like. The ball seems to float on him at times.

I don't really like any of the QBs in 2015, with one possible exception: Bryce Petty. I just watched every throw of his from 3 full games this year, and here's my notes:

- Makes smart decisions on the zone-read

- Gets the ball out quickly

- Rushes to get the ball to #1--sometimes to his detriment

- Willing to take deep shots often

- Keeps his feet active in the pocket when going through progressions

- Tough and athletic runner

- Solid lower body mechanics

- Has a 3/4 style delivery that causes him to lose velocity on the ball, especially on boundary throws

- Sometimes seems reluctant to step into the pocket when edge pressure develops

Overall, I think I like the raw material enough to spend a 3rd round pick on him. He'll need some seasoning and a bit of re-working on his delivery (he doesn't have the size of a guy like Rivers to get away with a funky release); could be an NFL starter 2 years down the road.

The other guy I might take a late-round flyer on is Garrett Grayson from Colorado State, but I've only watched 2 of his games thus far, so I'm not convinced he's worth spending a pick on quite yet.

As an aside, if anyone wants to watch throw-after-throw of the QBs coming out this year, this site is very good:

http://draftbreakdown.com/

Edited by thebandit27

If the season were to end today, Buffalo (I believe) would be picking somewhere around the 51st pick in the 2nd round. Depending on what happens in FA, Buffalo could very well be selecting a QB with this pick. It appears that Mariota, Winston, Cook, and perhaps Hundley will likely be off the board by the time Buffalo makes their selection.

Which "2nd tier" QB would you like to see Buffalo take a chance on? It doesn't necessarily have to be with our 2nd round pick. Who do you like and why?

While he doesn't have prototypical size for a NFL QB, but he is big enough at 6'2' 221#'s. He has a lightning quick release, throws well on the run, and moves well in the pocket to buy time. While he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, scouts do feel that he has the arm strength to make all the throws. I like his fiery attitude, and he has played well against the better teams on ECU's schedule. I especially love his ability to improvise when pass protection breaks down. There has been some criticism about his inconsistency with mid-range throws, and also some concern that ECU does not run a traditional pro-style offense (larger learning curve).

I am of the opinion that Buffalo should go either OG/C, TE, or BPA with their pick in the 2nd round, and it appears that Carden may be available in round 3 or 4 (although he is rising up draft boards). I view him as a guy who would benefit from learning from a veteran QB for a season or two, but a guy who could eventually become a very good NFL QB with his skill set.

I'm an ECU grad so I have watched him pretty closely and love Shane Carden. You cant teach a quick release. Reminds me a bit of Brees based on physical tools but obviously has a long way to go to talk about that seriously. Early in the season when ECU was ranked there was talk he could sneak into the late first, early second but now I;m seeing him mostly in the 4th in mocks. I'd love to have him here.

I'm an ECU grad so I have watched him pretty closely and love Shane Carden. You cant teach a quick release. Reminds me a bit of Brees based on physical tools but obviously has a long way to go to talk about that seriously. Early in the season when ECU was ranked there was talk he could sneak into the late first, early second but now I;m seeing him mostly in the 4th in mocks. I'd love to have him here.

Is he more Jeff Blake or David Garrard or neither? Though if he does go 4th round we don't have a shot at him unless we trade down/up to get him as we have no 4th Rounder due to the Watkins trade.

Is he more Jeff Blake or David Garrard or neither? Though if he does go 4th round we don't have a shot at him unless we trade down/up to get him as we have no 4th Rounder due to the Watkins trade.

I think we'd have to grab him in the 3rd (or maybe higher come draft time). He'll probably move up as the draft approaches. He's not very close to either Garrard or Blake. He can move around the pocket but is not a running quarterback per se. Not a super strong arm but strong enough. Not afraid to throw down field and let his receivers make plays. I just cant get over his release which is lightning quick for a college QB and I feel this is an indicator of success in the pros..

Cook will be in the 2016 draft, not this one.

He's pretty much assured a top 15 selection and when he was on The Dan Patrick show he pretty much indicted that he would leave if that was the case without saying he was leaving. Why do you think this?

He's pretty much assured a top 15 selection and when he was on The Dan Patrick show he pretty much indicted that he would leave if that was the case without saying he was leaving. Why do you think this?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12038094/michigan-state-spartans-qb-connor-cook-says-return-senior-season-bypass-nfl-draft

Edited by thebandit27

I think we'd have to grab him in the 3rd (or maybe higher come draft time). He'll probably move up as the draft approaches. He's not very close to either Garrard or Blake. He can move around the pocket but is not a running quarterback per se. Not a super strong arm but strong enough. Not afraid to throw down field and let his receivers make plays. I just cant get over his release which is lightning quick for a college QB and I feel this is an indicator of success in the pros..

He has never said he would leave. He has consistently said he was coming back. I don't see any reason why he would change his mind. He knows where he would be drafted, he wants to come back (and he should). Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm a little bias since I watched CSU games every week, but I would be quite okay with Garrett Grayson in the 3rd, and definitely in the 4th. Granted, the Mountain West competition is not stellar, but he has the physical tools to succeed.

This year he has thrown for 3,779 yards, 32 TDs, and 6 INTs, with a 64.8% completion percentage

CSU Rams are playing in the Las Vegas Bowl tomorrow. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts after the game

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133328/garrett-grayson

I'm a little bias since I watched CSU games every week, but I would be quite okay with Garrett Grayson in the 3rd, and definitely in the 4th. Granted, the Mountain West competition is not stellar, but he has the physical tools to succeed.

This year he has thrown for 3,779 yards, 32 TDs, and 6 INTs, with a 64.8% completion percentage

CSU Rams are playing in the Las Vegas Bowl tomorrow. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts after the game

http://www.rotoworld...garrett-grayson

It doesn't have to be. It all depends on how his skill set overall ability transitions to what an NFL QB needs to be able to do. I will be interested in watching him tomorrow, I have never seen him play.

I didn't want to say it because I thought I would get roasted, but all I could think of watching his games and highlights was Drew Brees. I think it's the quick release and his footwork in the pocket.

That said, I agree with Bandit about his throwing mechanics. His floppy, side armed release is very unusual, and causes the ball to come out wobbly at times. While he is accurate, he doesn't seem to really zip it in there with velocity on short/intermediate throws.

Maybe I'm biased because of EJ, but I don't think mechanics is one of those things that can be re-learned. If I were Whaley and Co., however, I'd definitely take him in the 3rd round.

Blake Sims, Alabama Crimson Tide. In his first year of starting, he went from wobbly run first guy to seasoned pocket passer. He doesn't have the metrics of some of the others in the draft and I bet the Bills could pick him up in the 3rd. I think he has a lot of upside, and is still learning the position, but he's a winner and makes plays happen.

Who the hell can evaluate any of these guys? Teams spend hundereds of thousands of dollars on big scouting departments, professionals whose entire lives are devoted to figuring out who the next great QB is and they still get it wrong more often than not. Its a guessing game.

Speculation and a good healthy arguement is always fun though.

Carry on!

Blake Sims, Alabama Crimson Tide. In his first year of starting, he went from wobbly run first guy to seasoned pocket passer. He doesn't have the metrics of some of the others in the draft and I bet the Bills could pick him up in the 3rd. I think he has a lot of upside, and is still learning the position, but he's a winner and makes plays happen.

Blake is an intriguing prospect for sure. I like his confidence and composure. Tons of talent. My only fear with him is that he is a major project that will need a lot of time holding a clip board before he is ready. There is more urgency in Buffalo, I'm afraid.

I have to watch more of Sims before I can make an educated call. He's certainly got athleticism and play-making ability...

Garrett Grayson. He's a complete package. Good size (6'3", 220lbs), strong arm, accurate, mobile, tough, pro-style, good in winter elements...he's perfect for Buffalo. Reminds me a bit of Jim Kelly. If he's still there in the 2nd round it's a no-brainer.

Blake is an intriguing prospect for sure. I like his confidence and composure. Tons of talent. My only fear with him is that he is a major project that will need a lot of time holding a clip board before he is ready. There is more urgency in Buffalo, I'm afraid.

I'm a huge bama fan, wife and I met there at grad school, so I'll admit to being a homer here, but you are right in that he may need some time to ramp up. On the other hand, if you look how he's progressed this year, it's been nothing short of amazing. This Alabama team is lacking in talent on O, outside of Amari Cooper, relative to other recent teams, yet they're blowing up the record books. Part of it is coaching, but I think Sims might be the real deal. You can't teach accuracy and timing!

Connor cook, but luckily for us he is staying in but if he does come out we should trade whatever it takes to get him, Kid has it all and he is clutch.

Bo Wallace, 5th round

STRENGTHS:

Wallace's size and ability to attack defenses with both his arm and legs is intriguing. Plays with good awareness and is a better athlete than he looks, frequently stepping up, laterally or escaping the pocket entirely. He is far from a speedster but has vision and will take free yardage when the defense gives it to him.

Good accuracy and enough velocity to zip in-cutting routes. Anticipates his receivers' breaks well and usually places the ball where only his receivers can get it.

WEAKNESSES:

Doesn't always step into his throws, which can leave his passes fluttering. He too frequently challenges defenders, staring down his targets, which manifested to an SEC-leading 17 interceptions in 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759613/bo-wallace

Would you take Lane Kiffin with him? Because I've seen him play a lot and Kiffin has done a great job with him. Lane is still a jerk, but he's always had a brilliant offensive mind.

we have a 4rth rounder due to the Stevie trade

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/05/11/state-of-the-2015-draft/

Would you take Lane Kiffin with him? Because I've seen him play a lot and Kiffin has done a great job with him. Lane is still a jerk, but he's always had a brilliant offensive mind.

Yes, I'd take Lane Kiffin with him, if he were dumb enough to leave that sweet gig.

Imagine what he would do with CJ and Sammy.

I'm a huge bama fan, wife and I met there at grad school, so I'll admit to being a homer here, but you are right in that he may need some time to ramp up. On the other hand, if you look how he's progressed this year, it's been nothing short of amazing. This Alabama team is lacking in talent on O, outside of Amari Cooper, relative to other recent teams, yet they're blowing up the record books. Part of it is coaching, but I think Sims might be the real deal. You can't teach accuracy and timing!

that's called lacking talent on O? What about those RBs?! Yikes. RIP my buckeyes lol.

Dak Prescott anyone?

I think he has a long way to go in terms of being a pocket passer, but scouts seems to be intrigued by his athleticism, intelligence, and leadership. I just saw Drafttek is mocking Prescott to the Bills in the 2nd round. Not a huge fan myself. Thoughts?

i think he would be another developmental/project type. Surprised to see him mocked to a team like the Bills.

Dak Prescott anyone?

I think he has a long way to go in terms of being a pocket passer, but scouts seems to be intrigued by his athleticism, intelligence, and leadership. I just saw Drafttek is mocking Prescott to the Bills in the 2nd round. Not a huge fan myself. Thoughts?

Put me down for a "no thanks" on Prescott. Good athlete, maybe ripe for a position change in the NFL--short-yardage back or H-back. As a QB, his passing just isn't where it would need to be to be an NFL QB IMO. Way too erratic.

Put me down for a "no thanks" on Prescott. Good athlete, maybe ripe for a position change in the NFL--short-yardage back or H-back. As a QB, his passing just isn't where it would need to be to be an NFL QB IMO. Way too erratic.

I agree. Seems like Tebow 2 to me except less talented. We need Astro to chime in on Drafttek's mock draft.