The Big Cat

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we extend/sign?

• Dareus
    • Hughes
    • Spikes
    • Spiller
    • A veteran QB
    • A premier OL (like that G from SF, Ilutapi, or whatever)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough poll to choose from. I think the real question you're getting at is what high-priced FAs the Bills should get?

Looking at their RFAs, they have the following coming up:

1. Hughes $4m

2. Pears $3.45

3. Spikes $3.25

4. Searcy $1.55

5. Hairston $0.75m

6. Easely $0.73m

7. Wynn $0.64m

8. L. Smith $0.68

Among the bottom 4, they will probably sign 6-8 with minimal raises for 6 and 7. I think Hairston will probably receive an offer more than what the Bills would like to pay him.

For the top 4, Searcy will be signed with a nice little raise. The key decision will most likely be not signing Spikes, then use that money to pay Hughes. They should also let Pears go and sign a real guard for his $3+mil. That strategy gives them a lot to work with because there's no dent in the projected cap space (I think $17 mil was projected?). Ditto with the swap of Pears for a FA guard. At this point, you've got your defense essentially intact, and your starting Oline. This leaves the Bills with a lot of money to fill any other holes--like a TE, or if they want to bring another QB in?

Hmmm...Freudian slip leaving out Spiller?

Edited by TPS

The only thing I dont like about this poll is that the QB option is vague and unspecified. Of course we need a QB, it's our biggest need, but not specifying at least 1 or 2 to choose from makes it unfair.

Outside of that, I wen Hughes, OL, and Dareus (even though we have another year to get it done).

Id also add Searcy to the list because we should be able to get him at a reasonable price.

Good topic and poll.

If I had to say, it would be Hughes. Spikes. OG. With the caveat that Dareus is signed through 2015.

Too difficult to me to determine though because of the veteran QB one, not knowing who that may be. I don't want just anyone. I don't expect it to be a very good starter. But if he's not very good, I would want different guys.

I think it's very possible, however, to get more than three. They can put off Dareus for a year. He will want to stay and they can pay him next year. Spiller, if they want him, will be cheap on an incentive laden deal. He may even chose his player option if he still can. Spikes I would love to re-sign. I have no idea what he would get on the open market though. It may not be a ton.

Agree with all of this. Pay Dareus when the time is due (an extension mid season next year would be ideal).

went with spiller over spikes. look at his stats!!! Spikes hasn't done that much

http://espn.go.com/n.../brandon-spikes

LB Brandon Spikes (Bills) -- Played 8 of 71 defensive snaps in a home win over the Packers (1 assisted tackle), in addition to five on special teams. He has played 438 of 948 defensive snaps this season (46.2 percent).

http://espn.go.com/b...=espnapi_public

Spikes brings a quality that isn't quantifiable in leadership. Add in his relationship to Pepper and the fact that he isn't a 3 down lb, and I am hoping he stays at a decent rate. He adds depth, toughness, and leadership to a young lb crew.

I think Searcy is more in line for Bernard Pollard type money ($3M/year).

$5M/year is TJ Ward/Malcolm Jenkins money; I heavily doubt he'll get that.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/safety/limit-50/

I hope you're right.

Not sure how Hughes isn't on everyone's list. We have a completely dominat unit on the DL. I wouldn't take a chance of screwing this up and "hoping" we can get someone at a fairer price that can replicate Hughes' amazing play this year. It's unlikely IMO. Keeping those guys intact should be our priority #1

Dareus is under contract in 2015 so to me he isn't top of the list, Hughes is. Also I worry about Thomas benefitting from Peyton (see Eric Decker) and rather pursue Jordan Cameron at TE this offseason.

True, I forgot Dareus wasn't an FA this season. In that case I'd like either of those TEs. I'm torn over whether I'd rather keep Hughes or get that stud OG though. I doubt they'll be able to sign them all.

Marcel has a year left so he's not an immediate priority. Whatever money spent on re-signing him would not kick in until 2016 anyway.

So, Hughes is #1 priority. I don't think there's going to be a great QB option available, so I would probably rather fix the OL and bring in another QB to add competition.

Agreed!

I think Searcy is more in line for Bernard Pollard type money ($3M/year).

$5M/year is TJ Ward/Malcolm Jenkins money; I heavily doubt he'll get that.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/safety/limit-50/

Agreed

And to think, some folks doubted that Hughes would crest the $10M/year mark on the open market. Now he'd be a bargain at that price. Looking more like a Tamba Hali deal for Hughes...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/tamba-hali/

The only thing I dont like about this poll is that the QB option is vague and unspecified. Of course we need a QB, it's our biggest need, but not specifying at least 1 or 2 to choose from makes it unfair.

Outside of that, I wen Hughes, OL, and Dareus (even though we have another year to get it done).

Id also add Searcy to the list because we should be able to get him at a reasonable price.

I bet you spikes and searxy are reupped before the season is over

There's no way in hell they're going to pay Hughes $10 million a year here. I'm not sure I'd even want them to keep him at that price.

Why not? As long as they structure the contract with a big initial cap hit they can manage it...then all they have to do is structure Dareus' deal in an opposite manner.

True, I forgot Dareus wasn't an FA this season. In that case I'd like either of those TEs. I'm torn over whether I'd rather keep Hughes or get that stud OG though. I doubt they'll be able to sign them all.

There is never any debate between whether to pay a pass rusher or a og. Pass Rusher EVERY SINGLE TIME.

There is never any debate between whether to pay a pass rusher or a og. Pass Rusher EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Absolutely. That's why Seattle signs both Avril and Bennett to bloated contracts that push the FA DE market upward in value while having a constant revolving door at the OG positions. It'll be interesting to see if they try to re-sign the perennially underachieving James Carpenter this offseason.

Nice topic Big Cat!! I probably should have went Hughes, Spiller and QB because Dareus is signed through 2015. I left off the QB because at this point there isn't one that I want (until some of these guys get cut free).

I think that this team as really missed Spiller's playmaking ability. They really have no idea how to use him but that doesn't change the fact that he has made some pretty big plays. If you are going to play a tight defensive style you could use to hit more home runs (same with Goodwin). This Bills offense cannot sustain long drives consistently.

Nice topic Big Cat!! I probably should have went Hughes, Spiller and QB because Dareus is signed through 2015. I left off the QB because at this point there isn't one that I want (until some of these guys get cut free).

I think that this team as really missed Spiller's playmaking ability. They really have no idea how to use him but that doesn't change the fact that he has made some pretty big plays. If you are going to play a tight defensive style you could use to hit more home runs (same with Goodwin). This Bills offense cannot sustain long drives consistently.

I'm sure people will attack this but Marrone said this morning that they were just getting Spiller more involved in the passing game when he got hurt. Now that we have Brown and Dixon with some experience running the ball, I bet we will see some screens and CJ at WR. Whether or not people like Spiller's production, he absolutely is someone DCs need to worry about when he is on the field and that can only help the offense.

BTW.....

Avril has 3 sacks and is 2 years older. Hughe$$$$$ is salivating.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 46m46 minutes ago

Cliff Avril agreed to a 4 year extension for $28.5 million with $16 million. Seahawks working hard to keep pending free agents

Edited by YoloinOhio