what are chances Hughes gives Bills hometown discount ??

RCOHEN13

ZERO

Why would he? It's going to take some serious coin to keep Jerry but would be well worth it IMHO.

There will be many suitors I would imagine. I especially suspect the Seahawks to make a major push along with others like Baltimore or Chicago.

It's not personal, it's bidness.

+1

How about Mario take a CUT in pay to keep Hughes here?

LOL...you got a better chance of seeing God

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes could recognize his performance is tied to Mario, Kyle and Dareus. If he leaves for a lesser team, so might his production. So he leaves a mil or two on the table in order to continue being a stud? Might happen.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Likely I think. He has to be aware that some of his success is due to who he's playing next to. I'm sure he doesn't want to go back to the type of production and profile he had before he was traded to the Bills.

Has any player, ever, acknowledged this at contract time?

He won't and he shouldn't. The guy has done everything asked of him and then some. I love the guy but he needs to get paid. I'll miss him but I have no problem with him cashing in, he deserves it.

I agree that Hughs may not be the biggest Marrone fan and getting benched for almost a half probably doesn't sit too well with him. He may like Schwartz and his defense but there's no guarantee that even Schwartz will be around here next year. I'm afraid that Hughs will be much like Byrd, love to keep him but can't afford to pay him for what he probably is looking for. I learned from that Byrd thing and that is I'm not going to be bitter and hold it against the Bills for not re-signing him. I think that they did drop the ball for not locking him up sooner but in the end Byrd didn't want to be here and wanted to get paid.

I noticed with Hughs is that he sure is proud of being a Horned Frog but I never hear him speaking on being a Bill. It's a business and there shouldn't be anything taken personal if he decides to go elsewhere. I will say that because our defense played so dominately and we still would have great players on it that other FA players may reconsider playing here.

Unfortunately you can't have everyone so I'd like to see the Bills lock up Dareus and Gilmore. I would also like for us to find a way to keep Spiller but unfortunately that may not come to fruition and that's too bad because I believe that the guy is a true Bill.

He'd be the biggest moron on the planet to not take every penny he can get. Do owners hestiate to void his contract the second he becomes less productive or gets injuried? Do fans care about him after he gets cut with a non-guaranteed contract? He owes it to himself and his family to get every penny he can get in a dirty business like the NFL.

And if he leaves us, he will probably drop in production. He benefits from the other players. But since this will be his last major deal, he owes it to himself to maximize it.

I don't recall hearing players say they assume they'll be there. The standard answers are typically, we'll see how things play out, or talk to my agent, or we'll sit down in the offseason and figure it out then, right now we're trying to win football games.

To me, hime saying I assume I'll be here isn't a standard or typical response.

No player in the history of the nfl has ever said "I think I will stay with my current team"? No player has ever said that?

You're right about the standard answers. But a lot of players have tweeted or commented that they hope to stay with current team. A lot of them. Some maybe out of desperation to keep a contract or whatever. But yes, it happens.

Regarding the question. I wouldnt want him to take a discount. Pay the man. Keep the dline as is. Why settle for anything less?

Hughes could recognize his performance is tied to Mario, Kyle and Dareus. If he leaves for a lesser team, so might his production. So he leaves a mil or two on the table in order to continue being a stud? Might happen.

There might be something to this. Jerry must like being successful after 3 years of being labeled a bust. Sometimes players thrive in one environment and wither in another. For Jerry, that risk might change the calculus of the contract negotiations a little.

There might be something to this. Jerry must like being successful after 3 years of being labeled a bust. Sometimes players thrive in one environment and wither in another. For Jerry, that risk might change the calculus of the contract negotiations a little.

And if he blows out his knee in year one of a non guaranteed deal, where does that leave him?

It's not personal against us but he should get everything he can possibly get.

Keeping this DL intact along with somehow figuring out what to do at QB next yr. In regards to our biggest FA who will command huge money in the open market. Do u guys think there is any chance we takes a little less to stay in perfect situation (on D) and most likely still get a monster deal from Bills prob in the 10 mil a yr range.

We certainly have the cap room and as many have pointed out in other threads, if u factor in the cost of the front 7 not just DL, it averages out properly. I'd much rather have the superior talent up front and have younger, less expensive LB;s. As good as Ray Lewish was, the yr or 2 before Ngata got there , he was taking on alot more blocks from OL rather than having DL eat up the blocks, freeing him up to clean up.

Bradham and Brown have been outstanding this yr, but a HUGE factor in that is the success of our DL. Having Marcel and Kyle in the middle. (team will no doubt either excercise rookie contract option to keep him or re-sign him to extension) to go along with Super Mario on 1 side and is just a beast and living up to his contract. Hughes as the "speed" rusher from other and we have the best DL in NFL.

If Kiko comes back and is even close to as good as he was last yr, we could have a dynasty level D for a 4-5 run....

Of all the guys out there who SHOULD give a team a bit of a break to "keep team intact" its Hughes.... He is a hot head, pre season fights and all that junk.. takes some bad after the whistle penalties which are the most killer cuz it had nothing to do with play. Not to mention, Whaley and co. taking a chance on him, and turning him from 1st round bust label and blossoming into a star cuz Bills "saw something in him" where in Indy he was an afterthought and didnt fit their D.

I dont think Hughes is on the level that is categorized "Elite" D. linemen. Mario is elite, Watt is elite, even Dareus at this point has to be in that discussion. Those are guys that can go to any team and make plays.

I think Hughes benifits from the talent around him and is a bit undersized but has excellent motor and is solid vs run despite being under sized. If he were to go to highest bidder and has to be the "lead guy" i dont think he would be nearly as successful.

His long term value is in Buffalo even if the money isnt as big cuz if he stays and gets 4-5 yr 10 mil a deal rather than lets say 12 mil on open market and possibly play for a team like Wash (purely meant as example, not speculation) who tends to pay big $ and still screw up. In this day and age NFL contracts are written in pencil anyway! Deals are re-done and guys get cut sometimes just 1 yr into that deal!

Staying in Buffalo just makes the most sense from all facades. His still gets a very rich deal. Stays in a KNOWN situation and knowing team has rest of the DL under contract for few yrs has to be huge factor. As much as these guys love $$$, they need the success on the field to KEEP the money coming. He can easily continue racking up great years alongside Kyle, Mario and Marcel and his next contract will be a big one as well.

Him leaving for a few mil more risks him going to an new situation. The Bills got him for NOTHING cuz the Colts figured this guy was useless. We turned a "1st round bust" hybrid DE/ LB who seemed lost in the shuffle.... To a pro-bowl level player.

I just hope both parties come to agreement to keep him here. This is the closest we have been to building a contender. This team needs far less fixes than any team in playoff drought years. Re-sign Hughes, extend or use option on Dareus.. sign AND draft a guard and find a new OC and then FIND A DAMN QB!!!!!!!

I've been a big backer of Cutler even after his dreadful season and even after his awful performance the other night. Marrone is a tough coach and think Cutler has been around too many coaches that coddled him. The kid needs a reality check and with the right OC, and our D, if he could get motivated to reach even HALF his potential, he would be the guy who could lead this squad the post season.

Fire away!!!

RC

Good post until the last paragraph. Please, just show me the evidence that Cutler could " be the guy ". To me, he is simply a moody, surly, overpaid under achiever. The Bears would literally pay us to take him.

I don't know about a hometown discount, but I don't think Hughes will get the money that folks around here think he will. There are quite a few quality pass rushing 4-3 DE's on the market (i.e., Pierre-Paul, Hardy, Avril, Claiborne). If Buffalo wants to sign him, I think they can do so at a reasonable price.

Good post until the last paragraph. Please, just show me the evidence that Cutler could " be the guy ". To me, he is simply a moody, surly, overpaid under achiever. The Bears would literally pay us to take him.

His career completion rate is 2 full percentage points higher than Orton's, better than Eli Manning's, and he went to the Pro Bowl in 2008.

ZERO chance he gives a home town discount. this will be his one and only chance to cash in.

can you say OVER RATED !!

PRO: one trick pony who uses speed only (no power) to mop up "coverage" sacks and turnovers. gets credit for facing opponents LT.

CON: weak vs Run , no power and is handled one on one by opposing tight ends. was pancaked 6 times vs cleveland, often turns his back to blocker during spin move and completely gives up on play, is the most penalized player on team (mentally challenged) , leads the league in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. is total beneficiary of playing on line with 3 pro bowlers. is never double teamed. if he left buffalo and was the #1 rusher on another team you would never hear his name again.

Conclusion: if you can get him for $7-8 mil maybe, anything more and your better off spending it elsewhere. retaining dareus and kyle Williams far more important.

You haven't been watching close enough, Hughes has been really good against the run in this scheme. Lawson, normally the more stout end against the run, has regressed wildly in that area.