New York Bans Fracking

Tiberius

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding up scientific studies to animate his arguments, Dr. Zucker listed concerns about water contamination and air pollution, and said there was insufficient scientific evidence to affirm the long-term safety of fracking.

"These studies show there's no evidence of long-term safety."

"Then we better ban it before we get that evidence."

Nice logic.

Speaking to reporters in Binghamton Nov. 6—the day after Election Day 2013—Cuomo was asked by WNBF-AM’s Bob Joseph whether he still expects to make a fracking announcement before Election Day 2014.

“Yes, I do,” Cuomo said.

May 23, 2014: Syracuse, N.Y. -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday he would make a decision on whether to allow hydrofracking in New York before the 2014 election.

I guess the election is over.

New York's Fracking Ban Is About Politics, Not Science. And That's Just Fine.

By Will Oremus

FTA:

So did Cuomo make the right call? He did, but not for the reasons he’d have you believe.

Cuomo has promised all along to base his fracking decisions on scientific evidence. But, as is often the case with controversial new technologies, the scientific evidence points in both directions. We know there are risks, benefits, and uncertainties. We just can’t agree on how to weigh them. That’s why, as Adam Briggle argued convincingly in Future Tense last year, the fracking debate cannot be settled by science alone. It can only be settled by appeals to values, priorities, and interests—which is to say, politics.

http://www.slate.com...astination.html

Dr. Zucker said his review boiled down to a simple question: Would he want to live in a community that allowed fracking?

He said the answer was no.

“We cannot afford to make a mistake,” he said. “The potential risks are too great. In fact, they are not even fully known.”

Well that's a damn good reason for banning anything. Good job. So CA and NY are vying for the dumbass state of the year award.

Nope, we are overflowing with energy at present

Obama must feel like such a failure since one of his his goals was to bankrupt the coal companies and another was to get this country to $10 a gallon gasoline. His ultimate success or failure depends upon his real and unstated goals though. Is the damage he has perpetrated upon this country intentional or just due to his incompetence and bungling? I do know that his fiscal irresponsibilities reek of being unpatriotic and his flaunting of the Constitution is criminal. Can anyone dispute this?

Obama must feel like such a failure since one of his his goals was to bankrupt the coal companies and another was to get this country to $10 a gallon gasoline. His ultimate success or failure depends upon his real and unstated goals though. Is the damage he has perpetrated upon this country intentional or just due to his incompetence and bungling? I do know that his fiscal irresponsibilities reek of being unpatriotic and his flaunting of the Constitution is criminal. Can anyone dispute this?

You are brilliant! A model Conservative, you really represent the base of the GOP well Edited by gatorman

Probably didn't bring in enough tax money.

Fracking has been done for 60 years in this country, only the last 5-8 years has it been an urgent environmental/ health issue. I'd be more nervous about drilling in deep waters, where we have seen demonstrated challenges and disaster potential, than breaking up earth to release gas.

Cuomo and all the celebrants this morning wake up in their heated homes, take a hot shower, and turn on the lights - all powered by fracked NG that has replaced dirtier coal....if people really want to make a stand build a house off the grid and show us all an alternative to what provides their current lifestyle

Edited by baskin

Cuomo and all the celebrants this morning wake up in their heated homes, take a hot shower, and turn on the lights - all powered by fracked NG that has replaced dirtier coal....if people really want to make a stand build a house off the grid and show us all an alternative to what provides their current lifestyle

Yes, NG really is great, no doubt. But there was no way the governor was going to rule against the local communities that didn't want this.

Fracking is only controversial because the term is now used to mean any part of the oil/gas extraction process. Not a single study has linked fracking to contaminated ground water. I eagerly await the deluge of articles citing pollution, methane and water contamination which prove my point that drilling a well and maintaining a well are not "fracking".

“ Yes, NG really is great, no doubt. But there was no way the governor was going to rule against the local communities that didn't want this”

@Gator….That is the hypocrisy – everyone in NY benefits right now from fracking – every community – every person – and now Cuomo and the nimby’s claim a “victory” in environmental causes – all the while using the products of fracking – I have been through PA every month for the last ten years – I ask all the time about any anecdotal evidence of fracking problems – nothing.

I would respect Cuomo and all these communities if the stopped using fracked NG – put your money where your mouth is.

“ Yes, NG really is great, no doubt. But there was no way the governor was going to rule against the local communities that didn't want this”

@Gator….That is the hypocrisy – everyone in NY benefits right now from fracking – every community – every person – and now Cuomo and the nimby’s claim a “victory” in environmental causes – all the while using the products of fracking – I have been through PA every month for the last ten years – I ask all the time about any anecdotal evidence of fracking problems – nothing.

I would respect Cuomo and all these communities if the stopped using fracked NG – put your money where your mouth is.

It's not so much NIMBY as it's the NYC crowd who hates the word. The local communities are basically split on the issues. The poorer NYS districts are the more supportive, while the weekend getaway places for NYCers are more opposed.

Guess where there are more votes and basis for Cuomo support, and guess where the Marcellus Shale is. Probably has a high correlation to the fiasco that is the SAFE act.

Baskin brings up a very good point. Note that Cuomo will not ban the PRODUCTS OF FRACKING. If they truly believed that fracking was dangerous, they would require that the local gas utilities provide only certified frack-free gas. That way, they would promote the establishment of a safer technology.

It’s tough up here in NY’s flyover country, that enormous expanse that starts in the Catskill mountains north of New York City, and runs north towards the Adirondack Mountains through the State Government City (Albany), westward for hundreds of miles along the “Southern Tier” past Elmira and Corning, then up to Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo, which are shadows of their former selves.

There are bubbles of prosperity, mostly college towns like Ithaca, but beyond the bubble, it’s tough.

And depressing.

This is beautiful country and countryside, but it has been bleeding population and jobs for decades.

Just as used to be the case in the area of Pennsylvania just across the Southern Tier border, less than an hour south of Ithaca.

Fracking changed all that for the Pennsylvania flyover country

As in many other places around the country, fracking turned around what James Carville once referred to as the Alabama part of Pennsylvania.

There were high hopes along the Southern Tier. The prospect that the years-long fracking moratorium would be lifted resulted in large cash payments for mineral rights to farmers and others in this region.

Those hopes are dead.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/12/ny-to-ban-fracking-turn-out-the-upstate-lights/

The oil will still be there for future, wiser, generations.