New York Bans Fracking

Tiberius

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much NIMBY as it's the NYC crowd who hates the word. The local communities are basically split on the issues. The poorer NYS districts are the more supportive, while the weekend getaway places for NYCers are more opposed.

Guess where there are more votes and basis for Cuomo support, and guess where the Marcellus Shale is. Probably has a high correlation to the fiasco that is the SAFE act.

I did read what you wrote and the idea that this is get away places from NYC that are opposed is stupid. I see Buffalo passed a ban.

@ gator - Alt energy would take off if it were feasible - and what about the communities in NY who would want fracking....now they can't.....

LOL...............

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/health-chief-mentions-non-existent-kids-fracking-talk-article-1.2050785#bmb=1

ALBANY — In recommending a ban on fracking in New York, acting state Health Commissioner Howard Zucker said he wouldn't want his kids growing up near a drilling site.

Zucker made his comments during a Cabinet meeting Wednesday as he announced his long-awaited decision on whether to allow the controversial gas-drilling technique.

“Would I live in a community with (fracking) based on the facts I have now? Zucker said.

“Would I let my child play in a school field nearby or my family drink the water from the tap or grow their vegetables in the soil?” he added.

“After looking at the plethora of reports ... my answer is no.”

Zucker’s remarks appeared to make an impression on Gov. Cuomo. On Thursday, Cuomo said Zucker’s comments were “very sobering,” and helped to convince him that banning fracking was the right thing to do.

“Frankly, that’s enough for me,” Cuomo said, “because if the state health commissioner doesn’t want his kids living there, I don’t want my kids living there and I don’t want any New Yorkers’ kids living there.”

But questioned by the Daily News, Health Department spokesman Peter Constantakes on Thursday said Zucker was not married and had no children.

“He was speaking as the health commissioner who is overseeing everybody,” Constantakes said.

Oh, I see. It was the "royal" we, the state knows best.

I did read what you wrote and the idea that this is get away places from NYC that are opposed is stupid. I see Buffalo passed a ban.

Utter horsecrap. There's a lot more opposition to fracking from people who are nowhere near Marcellus shale. Buffalo is on the fringe and nobody realistically expects wells to be drilled within the city. Contrast that to the windfarms that are dotting the WNY landscape. At least the local communities had a say in it, and there certainly was a lot of local opponents to the windmills, yet the towers still went up.

yeah, I know, wind is clean energy. Unless you happen to live next to a windmill. Or are a bird.

Edited by GG

Why Cuomo’s Fracking Ban Won’t Matter Much :It will hurt upstate New York but won’t slow down the nationwide shale revolution.

By Robert Bryce

Amid the many explanations offered by New York governor Andrew Cuomo and his various lieutenants about their reasons for imposing a permanent ban on hydraulic fracturing in the state, one of them made me laugh out loud.

“We lack the necessary data,” said New York’s health commissioner, Howard Zucker. I’ll discuss why that claim made me chuckle in just a moment. Before turning to that, let’s be clear: Cuomo’s decision is not surprising, and it’s not very significant either.

It’s hardly surprising that a liberal Democratic governor in one of America’s most liberal states chose to ban fracturing. Indeed, in most liberal/left groups, hatred of the oil-and-gas sector isn’t just popular, it’s a membership requirement. On Thursday morning, Dan Henninger of the Wall Street Journal put it exactly right when he told Charles Payne on Fox Business that “the Democrats have been captured by the Greens.”

New York has had a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing for years. To change that policy now, after all the campaigning that has been done in the state by environmental groups, would have been a truly surprising move. That Cuomo formalized that moratorium and made it official is not surprising in any way.

{snip}

Look at what has happened in New York’s neighbor to the south, Pennsylvania. Oil- and gas-related jobs in the Keystone State now outnumber steel-related jobs. More than 21,000 Pennsylvanians are currently working for oil and gas companies. And they are making good money — about $71,000 per year, on average.

Further, the amount of natural gas now being produced in Pennsylvania is staggering. Since about 2009, gas production from the Marcellus shale in Pennsylvania alone has grown by nearly 16 billion cubic feet per day. That volume of natural gas is roughly equal to the amount of gas being produced by Iran.

On the national level, the number of jobs that have been created in the drilling sector is similarly impressive. According to the energy consulting firm IHS, between 2008 and 2012, the natural-gas industry alone added 2.1 million jobs here in the U.S. And last fall, Wallace Tyner, an energy economist at Purdue University, estimated that the shale revolution was adding some $473 billion per year to the U.S. economy, or about 3 percent of GDP. That’s a huge stimulus, and all of it has happened without New York.

As for Zucker’s claim that there’s a lack of data about hydraulic fracturing, let me explain why it’s so ludicrous. The process has been used more than 1 million times on oil and gas wells here in the U.S. If fracturing is as dangerous as many environmental groups are claiming, then hundreds, perhaps thousands, of domestic water wells would have been contaminated by now. And surely the public would have been made aware of those many contaminated wells. That hasn’t happened.

In 2011 Lisa Jackson, who then headed the federal Environmental Protection Agency, testified before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. During that appearance Jackson said, “I’m not aware of any proven case where the fracking process itself has affected water.”

In 2011, the MIT Energy Initiative released a 170-page report on natural gas that addressed hydraulic fracturing directly. It said:

The fracturing process itself poses minimal risk to the shallow groundwater zones that may exist in the upper portion of the wellbore. . . . The physical realities of the fracturing process, combined with the lack of reports from the many wells to date of fracture fluid contamination of groundwater, supports the assertion that fracturing itself does not create environmental concerns.

What’s clear about Cuomo’s decision to permanently ban hydraulic fracturing in New York is that politics — and by that, I mean the politics of hard-left Greens – has triumphed over sensible energy policy and economic development.

The good news in this story is that New York’s ban won’t stop the shale revolution. Thanks to the ongoing development of shale oil and shale gas in other states, the U.S. has effectively broken OPEC. In addition, it now has an energy-price advantage over nearly every other country in the world.

So let’s agree to ignore the news out of New York. The ban on hydraulic fracturing is not at all surprising, and in the long run, it’s not going to be that significant to the U.S. economy.

@gator. Dont you see everything is a choice? By banning fracking in NYS all that the opponents have done is redirect energy sourcing to more coal - winning!

Gas has been under $4 MMbtu for awhile and today it $3.46 - the Fracking ban is PR nobody is making big money at those prices ( anyone know the break even price? I've seen $4 quoted).

Gas has been under $4 MMbtu for awhile and today it $3.46 - the Fracking ban is PR nobody is making big money at those prices ( anyone know the break even price? I've seen $4 quoted).

Breakeven is anywhere fron $2 to $5, depending on the well. For the Marcellus shale wells, I've seen estimates from $4.50 all the way down to $1.50. There's no reason to think NY would be that much different.

Of course, that's such a wide range, it makes the whole concept of "breakeven" meaningless.

If you learned any science, you would know that this anti-fracking stuff is utter BS. Go watch Frack Nation. I saw it on AXS back in 2013.

The gas drilling takes place deep down. Drinking water is shallow. the two don't mix.

Gatorman, the "eternal flame" in Chestnut Ridge Park is naturally occurring, not due to any fracking.

Didn't Father Baker tap into the same NG? @ The Basilica in Lackawanna. They were almost ready to give up until he said to drill deeper and he prayed a little harder. I think the well @ The Basilica is still producing to this day... ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

@gator. Dont you see everything is a choice? By banning fracking in NYS all that the opponents have done is redirect energy sourcing to more coal - winning!

No, there is more gas on the market now than can be used. Its a glut. Big part of the decision here is the super low prices already.

It would not surprise me at all if some gas companies are happy and even actively involved in the ban. Rockefeller monoplized oil to stop overproduction and stamp out ruinous competition as he saw it.

Let me spell this out for you: The ban on fracking in NYS is largely based on environmental concerns. The primary focus of those concerns is excessive water use as well as the disposal of the contaminated water post-frack. If/when producers develop a fracking method that uses little or no water in the process, and if prices are in a profitable range, NYS will revisit the fracking ban in a New York minute...so to speak.

At least two producers are experimenting with a fracking process based on use of a pressurized gas to replace water in the oil/gas recovery process.

Sheessssh, try to keep up will ya'

Let me spell this out for you: The ban on fracking in NYS is largely based on environmental concerns. The primary focus of those concerns is excessive water use as well as the disposal of the contaminated water post-frack. If/when producers develop a fracking method that uses little or no water in the process, and if prices are in a profitable range, NYS will revisit the fracking ban in a New York minute...so to speak.

At least two producers are experimenting with a fracking process based on use of a pressurized gas to replace water in the oil/gas recovery process.

I highly doubt it. Once the environmental lobby gets its way, it rarely gets reversed.

I don't agree. That's what's made it on the media but local concerns over traffic, noise, sudden and uncontrolled growth that will ruin rural and small town life are a major driving force. Many local communities just don't want a major facking operation in their back yards. Hard to blame them, really