Pick your poison. Rice/Spiller

boyst

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have

• CJ Spiller: 4 years, $4.5mm/year + $2mm bonus = $20mm
    • Ray Rice: 2 years, $1mm/year + $1mm incentive = $3mm
    • 100% would not do either due to their inability to contribute. (nothing to do with Rice's off field incident)

I took the re-sign CJ option. CJ is an all world talent, but is being misused in this offense. He's not a run between the OT's guy, but Boobie is. He is excellent in space and can make plays if put in the position to be able to do so. I don't think letting go of talent like that makes this roster better. Having him and Watkins on the field at the same time gives the defense two people they have to key on so to speak which leaves other people getting open somewhere.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ out of the two, but I'm not sure if I want either... CJ is great in theory, but was only successful with Chan's offensive scheming, and can't seem to stay healthy.

I would agree with you on the health concerns, but that was a nice big play that he got hurt on this year. I like the big play ability that he does bring. If we need to scheme offensively to maximize his abilities why wouldn't you do that.

Ray Rice is not that good anymore and I don't want that drama and garbage in our locker room.

I would agree with you on the health concerns, but that was a nice big play that he got hurt on this year. I like the big play ability that he does bring. If we need to scheme offensively to maximize his abilities why wouldn't you do that.

A lot of people here would love to replace Hackett... but Hackett is Marrone's boy, and Marrone is Brandon's boy. We're likely in for more of the same next year.... really hope we can get an OL in the meantime.

If Baltimore could only get 3 ypc out of him, and our offense is a disaster, why would we be able to get more production out of Rice? Or are we assuming our scheme is going to change?

i think this response is far too oversimplified to be able to give a meaningful answer to, honestly. i dont think any reply, even if i was well versed in the ravens 2013 offense, would be able to address the broad nature of the question.

perhaps rice slims back down and speeds back up

perhaps rice is a better fit for our existing offense than their 2013 play calling and players

perhaps his legs are a bit fresher today

perhaps the ravens had some super bowl hangover across the board

could be a lot of things that go into it, and im not delving into every possibility. if you dont see any possible way he could contribute, im not going to spend a ton of time debating why i think there might be a possibility he could. im not even saying that he WILL, just that i dont think its impossible like many do.

Edited by NoSaint

i think this response is far too oversimplified to be able to give a meaningful answer to, honestly. i dont think any reply, even if i was well versed in the ravens 2013 offense, would be able to address the broad nature of the question.

perhaps rice slims back down and speeds back up

perhaps rice is a better fit for our existing offense than their 2013 play calling

perhaps his legs are a bit fresher today

could be a lot of things that go into it, and im not delving into every possibility. if you dont see any possible way he could contribute, im not going to spend a ton of time debating why i think there might be a possibility he could. im not even saying that he WILL, just that i dont think its impossible like many do.

I just don't think he would be productive enough here to be worth the potential media headaches. He's never impressed me, honestly, so I don't see why we would sign him to be our 3rd/4th string guy over some no-name. And on top of not being impressed by him, I don't see any player improving with our current offense, compared to how they performed elsewhere. Though, Boobie is doing ok, so maybe I'm completely and utterly wrong.

I just don't think he would be productive enough here to be worth the potential media headaches. He's never impressed me, honestly, so I don't see why we would sign him to be our 3rd/4th string guy over some no-name. And on top of not being impressed by him, I don't see any player improving with our current offense, compared to how they performed elsewhere. Though, Boobie is doing ok, so maybe I'm completely and utterly wrong.

well, i dont think the idea would be him as your 4th guy - it would be a bargain to pair with brown and freddy next year. in that group, he might qualify as a younger freddy and more reliable brown and earn reps -- if hes not totally worn out.

as far as the media circus..... im not sure how big a circus it would be after the initial attention. signs in the crowd, and a few comments here and there, but outside of maybe tebow im not sure any media circus lives up to what fans declare it will be in advance.

i dont think hes a savior by any means, but it wouldnt shock me if this time next year we are talking about rice as a guy thats a good role player for a team.

With Dixon, Brown and Jackson already set to return to the Bills next year, would we better off adding Rice cheap or spending big on Spiller? Rice now can let us address RB in 2016 instead of handcuffing us to Spiller for 4 years.

Convince me I am completely off base about letting Spiller go and bringing Rice in? Of course, I could change my opinion over the next two weeks if Spiller lights it up.

It's not a choice between these two. Spiller may be too expensive to keep. Bryce brown can take his spot.... Ray is Dunzo

Spiller will not cost that much being $4.5/year and a total of $20 over 4 years. And, if he does, it is not that expensive. It lines up with many return men that also play a position. Leodis makes more and his contract was justified and sold as a return man and 3rd CB.

It wasn't meant to be expensive. I wanted it to most accurately reflect what I think he'll get, which may average out to about $4.5mm/year.

It's an invalid Poll, in my opinion.

The options are all loaded.

I would want Spiller back but only at reduced costs.

And I would not want Rice because of his age, reduced effectiveness and mostly because he's clearly a dirtbag.

Its not loaded. That's still less then what many feel he could get and a reduction. It is also slightly more then many want to offer.

Would $4mm be better for oyu?

We all know why you are questioning CJ's vision.

Yet Gailey got over 1,000 yards at 6 yards per carry from Spiller. If Gailey was smart enough to figure out how to use Spiller correctly, why aren't Marrone and Hackett?

But since Marrone and Hackett probably won't be any smarter next year than this, maybe it is best to cut Spiller loose.

It's QB fault that cj sucks. Not Hacketts. Read the board more, you will learn things young padawan

I don't want ray rice. He may be an ok player, but the incident is enough to warrant a no thank you. Noooo thank you

We all know why you are questioning CJ's vision.

Yet Gailey got over 1,000 yards at 6 yards per carry from Spiller. If Gailey was smart enough to figure out how to use Spiller correctly, why aren't Marrone and Hackett?

But since Marrone and Hackett probably won't be any smarter next year than this, maybe it is best to cut Spiller loose.

It's QB fault that cj sucks. Not Hacketts. Read the board more, you will learn things young padawan

It's an invalid Poll, in my opinion.

The options are all loaded.

I would want Spiller back but only at reduced costs.

And I would not want Rice because of his age, reduced effectiveness and mostly because he's clearly a dirtbag.

This

CJ:

Rushing:

PH (Pre-Hackett): 5.4 ypa

WH (With-Hackett): 4.5 ypa

Receiving

PH: 8.4 ypc

WH: 6.3 ypc

FredEx:

Rushing:

PH: 4.5 ypa

WH: 4.2 ypa

Receiving:

PH: 8.4

WH: 7.7

Brown:

Rushing:

PH: 4.6 ypa

WH: 3.5 ypc

Receiving:

PH: 6.7 ypc

WH: 11.0 ypc

Boobie:

Rushing:

PH: 3.1 ypa

WH: 4.2 ypa

Receiving:

PH: 5.2 ypc

WH: 5.9 ypc

-----

The fact that only Boobie Dixon has improved overall with our team (one could argue it's because he's actually getting playing time, which he didn't get much in SF), and the other three runners have gotten worse (other than a couple big Brown catches) with this offense, makes me think that bringing Rice in will not net us great success.

This is not me saying that CJ is the right guy to have, as he's not very successful on this current offense either.

Edited by Dorkington

I want no part of a player on the Bills that delivered a hay make to his girlfriend and then drags her out of the elevator like a sack of mulch.

There are other quality RBs out there if we don't want to bring Spiller back.

My personal favorite if he is a FA is L Blount. He'd be perfect for the Hackett offense should he be around next year (which I suspect he will).

I don't mind guys that smoke weed :)

Bills homers want to give 20 mil to a backup running back best known for bouncing outside for a 1 yard gain !!!!

When we have tons of defensive players to sign instead???

The UDFA in Denver has more yards, higher YPC, and two less fumbles. Let CJ walk and draft a replacement on day 3.

Exactly. A FA G could get that contract (the spiller scenario) and outrun game would be better with an average joe