Pick your poison. Rice/Spiller

boyst

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have

• CJ Spiller: 4 years, $4.5mm/year + $2mm bonus = $20mm
    • Ray Rice: 2 years, $1mm/year + $1mm incentive = $3mm
    • 100% would not do either due to their inability to contribute. (nothing to do with Rice's off field incident)

With Dixon, Brown and Jackson already set to return to the Bills next year, would we better off adding Rice cheap or spending big on Spiller? Rice now can let us address RB in 2016 instead of handcuffing us to Spiller for 4 years.

Convince me I am completely off base about letting Spiller go and bringing Rice in? Of course, I could change my opinion over the next two weeks if Spiller lights it up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted neither. Ray Rice averaged 3.1 yards per carry in 2013. You can get that production from a minimum-salary player, and without the media circus.

As for Spiller, he has proven to me that he doesn't possess the vision to be a regular contributor. He's best off getting 8-10 touches per game and it's foolish to pay $4 million for that.

I voted neither. Ray Rice averaged 3.1 yards per carry in 2013. You can get that production from a minimum-salary player, and without the media circus.

As for Spiller, he has proven to me that he doesn't possess the vision to be a regular contributor. He's best off getting 8-10 touches per game and it's foolish to pay $4 million for that.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

7-9 yr vets are $885k/year for 2015

Even a 2-3 year is about $600k.

I gave him more because we so seldom come close to the salary cap I figured why not just up it a little.

the obvious question with rice is will that 1 year be the new normal, or was it an exception. i believe he put on some weight for 13, and had a lot of carries the years prior - only one carry over 20 yards that season. Would fresh legs, and being a little leaner get some of that explosion back?

for spiller, i think at 4m it wouldnt be a crazy deal to make but itll depend on how the OC wants to use him and GM wants to build the roster. the price tag though... i think its a fair number.

Edited by NoSaint

We all know why you are questioning CJ's vision.

Yet Gailey got over 1,000 yards at 6 yards per carry from Spiller. If Gailey was smart enough to figure out how to use Spiller correctly, why aren't Marrone and Hackett?

But since Marrone and Hackett probably won't be any smarter next year than this, maybe it is best to cut Spiller loose.

the obvious question with rice is will that 1 year be the new normal, or was it an exception

for spiller, i think at 4m it wouldnt be a crazy deal to make but itll depend on how the OC wants to use him and GM wants to build the roster. the price tag though... i think its a fair number.

With running backs, I think it's safest to assume that any degradation in ability is the new normal. Players at that position tend to fall off cliffs.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Don't need either. Bryce Brown can be solid and Boobie is a monster. Fred is a work horse (see Packers game)./

I saw the Packers game live, Fred is mostly done as a RB in the league. He runs with heart, guile, skill, but not speed. His 3 yds /carry would be 4.5 if he had anything left on the speed front. He might survive as a thrid down back a year or two, but cannot and should no be the #1 back. Lots of intangibles with Fredex, but father time has robbed him of his speed. Maybe the groin injury is still hampering him...sort that out in training camp next year. In the mean time, keep CJ, he is a great talent....but not sure I can see the dollars shown in the poll. CJ isn't injury prone.....although it hurt us the last two years....he did pretty good before that. Edited by bigK14094

With Dixon, Brown and Jackson already set to return to the Bills next year, would we better off adding Rice cheap or spending big on Spiller? Rice now can let us address RB in 2016 instead of handcuffing us to Spiller for 4 years.

Convince me I am completely off base about letting Spiller go and bringing Rice in? Of course, I could change my opinion over the next two weeks if Spiller lights it up.

Spiller will not cost that much being $4.5/year and a total of $20 over 4 years. And, if he does, it is not that expensive. It lines up with many return men that also play a position. Leodis makes more and his contract was justified and sold as a return man and 3rd CB.

the obvious question with rice is will that 1 year be the new normal, or was it an exception. i believe he put on some weight for 13, and had a lot of carries the years prior - only one carry over 20 yards that season. Would fresh legs, and being a little leaner get some of that explosion back?

I notice a significant number of posters have concluded Rice is completely washed up based on that one season. Few if any of them have mentioned how much CJ's YPC have declined this season vs. prior years.

With running backs, I think it's safest to assume that any degradation in ability is the new normal. Players at that position tend to fall off cliffs.

but typically not at 26 years old (hes only 27 now).... and plenty of guys have up and down years in the middle.

I notice a significant number of posters have concluded Rice is completely washed up based on that one season. Few if any of them have mentioned how much CJ's YPC have declined this season vs. prior years.

Uh, basically everyone is pissed that Hackett/Marrone can't get the same productivity out of CJ....

Uh, basically everyone is pissed that Hackett/Marrone can't get the same productivity out of CJ....

but few are tying together that our guy has ups/downs, so its not unreasonable that rice might too

i think his point is that while acknowledging that production isnt straight line, most also assume with rice it must be a straight downward line

but few are tying together that our guy has ups/downs, so its not unreasonable that rice might too

i think his point is that while acknowledging that production isnt straight line, most also assume with rice it must be a straight downward line

If Baltimore could only get 3 ypc out of him, and our offense is a disaster, why would we be able to get more production out of Rice? Or are we assuming our scheme is going to change?